PDA

View Full Version : Kicker RS or Alpine Type-X

prodgod
05-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Hey, I'm looking at getting a new set of components for my front doors, and I was at these two.

Kicker RS65.2 Components - these (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14827) - $219.00

Alpine SPX-177R Components - or these (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14469) - $229.00

Which of the two do you believe would be better sounding and get better midbass? I'm only looking for opinions on these two systems. These would be running off of about 300 watts bridged.

Thanks for the help,
Swick

AndrewHilbert
05-02-2007, 10:44 AM
go rainbow csx 265 for 300

prodgod
05-02-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm only looking for opinions on these two components sets, but thanks anyways.

Swick

Chevyaudio
05-02-2007, 10:46 AM
I would personally go with the Alpine Type X.

prodgod
05-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks, any other opinions?

Swick

CobaltKicker
05-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Kickers!!!!!!!!!!!

krisfnbz
05-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Alpines if you had to choose between these sets but thats a waste of money to me id rather spend a little extra and get wayyyy better quality

Russkels55
05-02-2007, 11:04 AM
alpine

WhoSayWho?
05-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Alpines if you had to choose between these sets but thats a waste of money to me id rather spend a little extra and get wayyyy better quality

Bullshit, IMO.

CaliforniabOY5
05-02-2007, 11:48 AM

Yeah I am pretty sure you probably have NEVER seen them in real life~!! The Type X have the higher end of quality parts of most compnents sets <400 bucks. Have you seen the crossover alone? It's gorgeous! The Type X won't get insanely loud but they are tremendously CLEAR~! FULL BLAST you get NO OUNCE of distortion!

Next time keep your mouth shut. . . thank you.

saj21187
05-02-2007, 11:53 AM
I personally would go with the kicker, ive heard a few set ups with the type x and didnt particularly care for em. have you personally demod both? I would do that for sure, so you know which one YOU like.

ENDER_XVICM
05-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Yeah I am pretty sure you probably have NEVER seen them in real life~!! The Type X have the higher end of quality parts of most compnents sets <400 bucks. Have you seen the crossover alone? It's gorgeous! The Type X won't get insanely loud but they are tremendously CLEAR~! FULL BLAST you get NO OUNCE of distortion!

Come on kids play nice. I have heard the Type-X and liked them but wasnt as impressed as I was with other speakers. I will have to agree with krisfnbz here and say spend a bit more and get alot in return. If you are bent on those two components go with the Type-X. If you are open to other options check out Rainbows SLC line, incredible for the price. You should be able to get a 2 way SLC set for around the same price as the Type-X.

CaliforniabOY5
05-02-2007, 02:37 PM
It's all dependant on what your wanting to listen to. Everyone suggests the Rainbows SLC line and IMO they are very very good components but you cant compare them with the Type X's. . . . The Rainbows have the clarity of the Type X but the Type X is more of a mellow set and the Rainbows have a much more agressive midbass when the Type X's have very little..... its all dependant on what your lookin for and NOT DEPENDANT ON QUALITY!

Hoodlum007
05-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Alpine !!!

WhoSayWho?
05-03-2007, 03:19 AM
Come on kids play nice. I have heard the Type-X and liked them but wasnt as impressed as I was with other speakers. I will have to agree with krisfnbz here and say spend a bit more and get alot in return. If you are bent on those two components go with the Type-X. If you are open to other options check out Rainbows SLC line, incredible for the price. You should be able to get a 2 way SLC set for around the same price as the Type-X.

To say that one set within the price range may be preferable over another is a far cry from saying that the set is wayyyyy better in quality. I really don't think that either set would be a bad choice (even though the OP never asked about SLC's). I certainly don't think that anyone can justify saying that paying 230 for Type X's would be a waste of money (which is one of the comments previously made). The Type X's may not suit everyone's tastes, but that does not mean they are not a good value.

CaliforniabOY5
05-03-2007, 12:01 PM
To say that one set within the price range may be preferable over another is a far cry from saying that the set is wayyyyy better in quality. I really don't think that either set would be a bad choice (even though the OP never asked about SLC's). I certainly don't think that anyone can justify saying that paying 230 for Type X's would be a waste of money (which is one of the comments previously made). The Type X's may not suit everyone's tastes, but that does not mean they are not a good value.

. . .thats what I said. Power to ya!

CobaltKicker
05-03-2007, 12:05 PM
The Alpines Type-Xs are a waste of money, and are cosmetically satisfying, but when looking for quality, clarity, and good midbass and highs go with the kickers!

CobaltKicker
05-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Try this site for some cheaper prices on components: www.millionbuy.com

CaliforniabOY5
05-03-2007, 12:18 PM
The Alpines Type-Xs are a waste of money, and are cosmetically satisfying, but when looking for quality, clarity, and good midbass and highs go with the kickers!

COBALT KICKER!!!! I am sick and TIRED of your biased views of EVERYTHING being no better than kicker just because your username includes it. Type X’s are NOT a waste of money, they are not in the same category as something YOU may like but it doesn’t mean they are a waste of money. You’ve been here no more than 2 months and with 500+ posts you’ve said NOTHING constructive! All you do is suggest kicker! If kicker made a ****** ointment I bet you’d use it. My god! The kicker rs components get LOUDER than the SPX so does that mean they are better in every way, shape of form? NO! You probably wouldn’t know was quality sounds like so why even bother, the louder, more aggressive components win everytime?

gl0ck
05-03-2007, 12:31 PM

Hmm.... Can i get a No? I really did like my slcs and at the same time i hated them. They were amazing on rock but sluggish on rap. I am now trying polk because the low-*** cost.

WhoSayWho?
05-03-2007, 04:57 PM

I thought you were serious until you got to the last part :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Abell255
05-03-2007, 07:54 PM
COBALT KICKER!!!! I am sick and TIRED of your biased views of EVERYTHING being no better than kicker just because your username includes it. Type X’s are NOT a waste of money, they are not in the same category as something YOU may like but it doesn’t mean they are a waste of money. You’ve been here no more than 2 months and with 500+ posts you’ve said NOTHING constructive! All you do is suggest kicker! If kicker made a ****** ointment I bet you’d use it. My god! The kicker rs components get LOUDER than the SPX so does that mean they are better in every way, shape of form? NO! You probably wouldn’t know was quality sounds like so why even bother, the louder, more aggressive components win everytime?

I'm with you

prodgod
05-03-2007, 09:32 PM
I added a poll to this thread so I could get a solid numbers of thoughts from all of you guys.

Swick

saj21187
05-03-2007, 09:39 PM

Lol, livin loud ointment.

All jokes aside the best thing you can do when picking a speaker is to go test a bunch of em. I use kicker SS components and like em alot. I have heard the type xs and didnt particularly care for em. Its all personal opinion, what my ears enjoy yours might not.

prodgod
05-03-2007, 09:43 PM
I was looking at the SS's before, I really like that set, but the ones I was looking at were 3 ohm, and the amp I will be using is only stable down to 4 ohm when bridged, which I'm doing.

Swick

twisztdauthorit
05-03-2007, 09:52 PM
screw all these comp sets go with the pyle comp set!!! ftw

I have the older type-r comp sets and like them alot...
haven't heard the kicker tho

saj21187
05-03-2007, 10:02 PM
I was looking at the SS's before, I really like that set, but the ones I was looking at were 3 ohm, and the amp I will be using is only stable down to 4 ohm when bridged, which I'm doing.

Swick

True, well have you listened to the type x's? I would go listen to those, i have heard the RS and i personally liked the sound of them, didnt have as deep of a midbass as the SS imo but still a nice sounding speaker. What is your price range and maybe i could recommend some more that i personally liked. Also, how are you planning on installing these? kickpanel, IB in the door, enclosure in the door? Active passive?

prodgod
05-03-2007, 10:27 PM
True, well have you listened to the type x's? I would go listen to those, i have heard the RS and i personally liked the sound of them, didnt have as deep of a midbass as the SS imo but still a nice sounding speaker. What is your price range and maybe i could recommend some more that i personally liked. Also, how are you planning on installing these? kickpanel, IB in the door, enclosure in the door? Active passive?

I am looking to mount these in the doors, which will be completely sealed when I finish my deadening project. The tweeters will be mounted in the doors too. I am not planning on biamping these, just running each side off of a single, bridged channel.
I was thinking about the Type-X's because one of my friends told me that he heard a setup in a car just about the same size as mine with Type-X's, and they sounded awesome. Told me that he could clearly hear the highs, and had no problem hearing / feeling the midbass. Me and him have just about the same likings when it comes to audio systems, and I trust his judgment.

Swick

Gary S
05-03-2007, 10:32 PM
I think the Alpine Type X would be closer to the Kicker SS.

Some sets closest to the Kicker SS in 4 ohm would be the new PPI 356CS, The MTX TXC series, DB Drive ES, and maybe the new Image Dynamics XS series. The PPI and ID are next generation cone technology with the mineral sheet/sandwich cone.

lrc131
05-03-2007, 10:39 PM
alpine FTW!!! ;)

prodgod
05-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Chris!! What's up? Just thought I'd post this poll to see if other back you're opinion, so far, it's looking that way.

Swick

saj21187
05-03-2007, 10:51 PM
I am looking to mount these in the doors, which will be completely sealed when I finish my deadening project. The tweeters will be mounted in the doors too. I am not planning on biamping these, just running each side off of a single, bridged channel.
I was thinking about the Type-X's because one of my friends told me that he heard a setup in a car just about the same size as mine with Type-X's, and they sounded awesome. Told me that he could clearly hear the highs, and had no problem hearing / feeling the midbass. Me and him have just about the same likings when it comes to audio systems, and I trust his judgment.

Swick

I mean dont get me wrong, i thought the type x sounded OK in the setups I have heard, i just wasnt as impressed as i thought Id be after listening to em. If you think you will be happy with the type x, by all means go for it. After all its you that will listen to these every day, not anyone over the net. People can give you opinions on what THEY like, but when it comes to speaker opinions/reviews you have to take it with a grain of salt because everyone hears things differently. Im sure you wont be dissapointed either way you go.

prodgod
05-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Thank you all for all you're opinions, I'm leaning towards the Type-X's right now, but I'm going to see if I can find somewhere to demo them. Thanks again to everybody who contributed.

Swick

lrc131
05-05-2007, 02:01 PM
go to raxx in janesville if you want to hear them

prodgod
05-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Chris, where is the raxx in janesville? I've never been there before.

Swick

Abell255
05-06-2007, 01:46 AM
In regards to the Type-X's, i just installed a set today.

I started off the day by using 6x8 adapters to get them to fit, and then mounting the tweeters up on the dash in the corners with the angle/flush mount. Personally, i think a system sounds MUCH better with tweeters up their. Anyhow, without tuning anything, i could tell the speakers were much "smoother" then my type-R's. I spent the day dynamatting the crap out of each door, and the labor was completely worth it. I noticed much more mid's then before. The crossovers that come with the X's are insane, they are bi-ampable for one, but you can change the phase depending on the distance between the woofer and tweeter, but don't worry the directions tell you what settings to use for the distance it is. Also, like most others, you can change the tweeter to like +3db and down to -6db. To get an idea of my likings....i like to listen to my music loud, stuff from Journey, to the eagles, to akon, to greenday, pretty much EVERYTHING that has a good beat, and a great voice. I don't like to blair my music if it sounds bad, i just totally dig feeling the concert-like experience. To be honest, i haven't heard THAT many installs. I have heard, and currently have, an insane home-theatre system, so i DO know what do music should sound like. I'm sure you searched and saw the review as "the x's have a natural sound, not a trembling mid-bass", and honestly, i'm GLAD they do. It's a much more soothing sound, more relaxing to listen to. At first i was surprised, but when you keep turning it up and up and realize their is absolutely no distortion ( correct settings, power ) you just get blown away. I demo'd today to a few buddies, and they seriously just smiled like fruitcakes because it was so ograsmic. Seriously though, if you're like me, and enjoy listening to all types of music with amazing clarity, i think you will NOT be dissapointed in anyway with the X's. I could not be more satisfied with them myself, it was definately a night/day step up from the R's i had. Anyhow, if you have any questions feel free to PM me, since i just spent 2 days straight installing/tuning i may have a few answers for ya.

Cheers,

-Austin

krisfnbz
05-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Bullshit, IMO.

Just your opinion

I have heard the Alpine X but not the kicker. I wouldnt buy anything alpine ever, I would always save my money and buy something of better quality. I would take kicker over alpine any day of the week. Even without hearing the kickers

Yes I would save and buy alot better.

DejaWiz
05-17-2007, 11:52 AM
I wouldnt buy anything alpine ever, I would always save my money and buy something of better quality. I would take kicker over alpine any day of the week. Even without hearing the kickers

You do realize that the SPX-177R are designed and made by Peerless/Vifa derived from their XT lineup, right?

XT Tweeters (http://www.tymphany.com/datasheet/subnav.php?br=vf&ty=tw&li=14)

XT Mids (http://www.tymphany.com/datasheet/subnav.php?br=vf&ty=mw&li=14)

In essence, by knocking the SPX you are saying that Peerless products are of low quality..... you have much to learn, grasshoppa!

krisfnbz
05-17-2007, 11:57 AM
I dont like anything alpine, ive heard their stuff and was definately not impressed.

DejaWiz
05-17-2007, 12:05 PM
I dont like anything alpine, ive heard their stuff and was definately not impressed.

That's fine, you have the right to your opinion.

But not liking the way something sounds does not make it of low build quality. The Type X/XT are friggin' tanks.

prodgod
05-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Do you think that 300 watts would be too much power for them? One of my friends said that they should be fine, and Andy Jones from sounddomain said that as long as I have common sense and a volume knob, I'll be fine.

Swick

CaliforniabOY5
05-17-2007, 10:54 PM
I have heard the Alpine X but not the kicker. I wouldnt buy anything alpine ever, I would always save my money and buy something of better quality. I would take kicker over alpine any day of the week. Even without hearing the kickers

Yes I would save and buy alot better.

ignorant ppl like you make me laugh.. . your a n00b. . . or maybe you just dont know what sound quality is. . . either way, ***** to be you.

Abell255
05-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Haha, this is a great thread. Correct, the SPX line is of very high quality.. derived frome exactly as he stated. You may have read that the X's sound laid back/natural, and personally i can tell this everytime i step into my car...the sound is not for everyone, but i think someone who knows SQ in speakers will appreciate these comps. After spending a few days on my installation, i have grown to absolutely LOVE my set, and everytime a song with a great vocal comes on i just cringe at the quality. It's hard to say if you can send them 300wrms, i'd say it's to much but it all depends on the install....better to have to much power then too little. On occasion, people do not like the sound of the X's in general, but that is RARE if heard in a good install. Keep in mind buddy, just because of the few "demos" you stated you have heard, does NOT mean the speakers themselves "****". Don't chime in on a thread if you don't have anything worthwhile to say because i hope you know upping your post-count does NOT make you more knowledgable.

Gentoo
05-19-2007, 05:07 AM
Any suggestions on a nice HU and amp to pair with those Alpines?

oneiztoomany
08-31-2007, 01:09 PM
i'm about to have these installed in my TSX. this thread was very informative, thanks!

just required skimming over some of the more ignorant posts... :)

CaliforniabOY5
08-31-2007, 01:11 PM
whats your setup consist of? the Type X components arent exactly ideal for EVERY setup....

oneiztoomany
08-31-2007, 01:24 PM
whats your setup consist of? the Type X components arent exactly ideal for EVERY setup....

factory headunit

PDX-4.100 that will power comps and rear speakers

PDX-1.600 for single 10inch JL audio W6

PXA-H701 processor

RUX-C701 controller

DejaWiz
08-31-2007, 01:50 PM
factory headunit

PDX-4.100 that will power comps and rear speakers

PDX-1.600 for single 10inch JL audio W6

PXA-H701 processor

RUX-C701 controller

If you go with the Type X comps, use that PDX-4.100 to biamp them (send 80-110w rms to the mids and 30-50w rms to the tweeters).

Run the rears off the HU or just disconnect them altogether.

oneiztoomany
08-31-2007, 02:07 PM
so if i am going to go with Type X comps and want to power them with the same amp i am using for rear door speakers should i go with PDX-4.150 instead?

If you go with the Type X comps, use that PDX-4.100 to biamp them (send 80-110w rms to the mids and 30-50w rms to the tweeters).

Run the rears off the HU or just disconnect them altogether.

DejaWiz
08-31-2007, 02:33 PM
so if i am going to go with Type X comps and want to power them with the same amp i am using for rear door speakers should i go with PDX-4.150 instead?

Nope, it's not needed (unless you want the overhead for the future). The PDX amps are a little underrated, so you can likely get a 4.100 that's factory tested at 4 x 110-125w rms. Maybe less, maybe more. ;)

oneiztoomany
08-31-2007, 02:37 PM
thanks for all your advice Wiz!!!

oneiztoomany
09-01-2007, 10:45 AM
prodgod did you make a decision or still debating?

prodgod
09-01-2007, 11:02 AM
I haven't bought them yet, but I am 99% sure I will be getting the X's. I need to save my money right now for college. I will be getting these comps and a better amp with my tax return next year. Yes, I know it's still awhile away, but I don't have the money to fund it right now.

Swick

DejaWiz
09-01-2007, 12:26 PM
I haven't bought them yet, but I am 99% sure I will be getting the X's. I need to save my money right now for college. I will be getting these comps and a better amp with my tax return next year. Yes, I know it's still awhile away, but I don't have the money to fund it right now.

Swick

Hey, it's how it goes sometimes. I'm sure a lot of us had to do that at one time or another. I know I've had to.