PDA

View Full Version : 2005 GTO Electrical Problems

Alpine CDA-9815
05-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Well less than 2 weeks ago one night my "check alternator" light came on. I really didn't think anything of it, just figured it would be my battery going out. Plus it was late at night and I just didn't care.

The next day I go to see if I can't see what is wrong with the car. So I start it up to check the volts... 11.2 while running. I thought this to be strange so I grab another battery to try out, start up the car 11.2 volts. Next I checked the wires and they all seemed to be good, even ran a new power wire from the alt to the battery and still 11.2 volts... car is not charging. So I'm thinking ok my alt is dead. Though what was weird is my fans do not kick on (HP Tuned to be on all the time when car is on running). I also noticed that my electric water pump is not working... so yay my car will not cool itself.

So I take the car to a good dealer that I will will try to help me. They called me to tell my fans do work when they command them on with the Tech 2. All the wires seem to be fine. So they replaced my battery and alt, he said the car was charging now. Though my fans will still not come on by them self, he did not say if my EWP was working or not. He also said one of my fuel rails were leaking. So I got rent another trailer to go get the car to bring it back to the house.

Anyways does anyone have any ideas? I'm just about ready to blow this car up... so sick of it.

saj21187
05-01-2007, 09:20 PM
That is strange, did they put a stock battery and alternator in the car when they replaced it? The car is a 2005, im assuming it is still under warranty right? I would take it back to the dealership until EVERYTHING was fixed.

Alpine CDA-9815
05-01-2007, 10:14 PM
That is strange, did they put a stock battery and alternator in the car when they replaced it? The car is a 2005, im assuming it is still under warranty right? I would take it back to the dealership until EVERYTHING was fixed.
$900 alternator... lol. Yeah the dealer repalced the alt and battery.

My car is pretty much no where not stock... custom cam, FAST 90 intake manifold, LT's, no cats, catback, CAI, electric water pump, 150 shot of nitrous, dyno tune, etc. It's good to know people, which is probably the only reason I got any warranty work done.

The fans do however work, but not by themself (aka they had to use a Tech II to get them to turn on). We have not touched the wiring for the fans, the guy working on my car didn't see nothing wrong with the wiring either. So I really have no idea what is wrong. Maybe it's a relay... but with such a new car I have no idea.

Rich B
05-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Maybe you have a bad temperature sending unit?

If thats out, your fans wont come on.

Beat_Dominator
05-01-2007, 10:24 PM
That or some relay somewhere is shot.

Alpine CDA-9815
05-01-2007, 10:32 PM
That or some relay somewhere is shot.
This is what I'm guessing. Befor I go over to the dealer I'm having him check the ECT sensor or the fan relays. If it's not that I serously have no idea what the hell it can be besides the tune.

sentra95
05-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Have you done a diagnostic?

Alpine CDA-9815
05-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Well the car is charging and running at the correct volts when on, so that part is fixed. As far as the fans we are not sure. The guy working on my car is saying I have a bad fuel leak on one of my fuel rails? This I have never noticed befor though not like I was looking for it. I don't see how it would be cracked but he is saying it's not from a fitting, therefor it must be cracked? If it was dripping as bad as he said the car would have for sure started on fire long ago... I'm not saying they did it but I don't see how it would be leaking as bad as he said it is and just now happen.

So now I have to spend yet another $75 to rent a trailer to tow the **** car to my bud's shop to see what is going on with it. Of course there is nothing that I could get today to tow it, I'm getting sick of this.

sdmtnbiker420
05-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Just make your own switch to the fans and turn them on/off as needed.

Alpine CDA-9815
05-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Just make your own switch to the fans and turn them on/off as needed.
If that's what it comes to, but gotta stop the fuel leak first.

sdmtnbiker420
05-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Just dont forget about the fan when you go to sleep. Might drain your battery!

desertheat
05-03-2007, 02:11 AM
Sounds like a temp unit to me.. if they can command the fans on, then the relays are working unless the fans are on a seperate circuit from the sender "2 relays" Does your temp gauge work ok..? Have you checked every single fuse in the car..?

Alpine CDA-9815
05-03-2007, 03:44 AM
I have not had the car in like 5 days. They should have checked all the fuses etc. I checked the ones I thought would be an issue and they were fine. The car has 2 fan relays, one for slow and one for fast. I was told that the temp sensor seems to be a common problem.

Either way the guy is kinda being a jackass and not even wanting to start the car for more then a min. All I know is I never did smell fuel or see fuel leaking befor. Also if it was as bad as he said it is the car would have started on fire last time I drove it. Really what is the chances of it now just starting to leak bad now? Or he is just lying on how bad it is leaking.

sentra95
05-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Well the only thing you can do to see if the fuel rail is cracked, is to check it yourself.

PatFitz9
05-03-2007, 12:29 PM
if the fuel is leaking, it should be pretty easy to tell.

and the fans, it's gotta be a computer problem. either a sensor isn't working, or your program isn't doing what it should be.

Alpine CDA-9815
05-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Well the only thing you can do to see if the fuel rail is cracked, is to check it yourself.
Yeah I know, just hate to drive 30 miles down to in traffic to check. No one seems to have a car trailer right now... they want $356 to order and put on a new fuel rail at the dealer. I can buy a used FAST fuel reil and lines from my bud for $175... thinking I may do that and have one of my more experenced friends help me put them on at the dealer and go from there. Though I guess I should go look at the car or wait for a trailer befor I do that.

Alpine CDA-9815
05-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Yep the fuel rail was cracked. Looks like the dealer did it too. It was leaking at the fittings where the nitrous was so they tightened it up instead of taking it off and putting some teflon tape and retightening...

Either way what's done is done and they did replace my alt and battery ($1025ish worth of parts) so I'm not goint to ***** too much. Plus I'm getting a set of FAST rails with braided hoses for $200.