PDA

View Full Version : Question

ds80mx
04-30-2007, 10:33 PM
I added a sub to my stock speaker system, now i would like to add a high pass fiter to the rest of my stock speakers. I looked and the only things i could find is for rca cables. Is there anything i could put in my stock speaker wires that would prevent the lows from going to my front stage.

MiniVanMan
04-30-2007, 11:15 PM
A passive crossover does exactly that. You need to figure out the frequency you want to cut. Then find a crossover calculator somewhere online to calculate the value for the components you'll need.

For a 6 db per ocatve cut, you would use just one capacitor. If you wanted a steeper slope you would use a capacitor in series and an inductor in parallel.

I'd say a just a simple 6 db slope cut at about 100-120 hz will probably do what you're looking for.

ds80mx
04-30-2007, 11:26 PM
ok i think i would be fine with a 6db 100-120hz but where can i buy the capacitor, could u send me a link cause i have no idea with kind of capacitor i would need.

Hintzyboy
05-01-2007, 12:03 AM
These will work. http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISBASS1

MiniVanMan
05-01-2007, 12:23 AM
The capacitor value you're looking for will be about 350 microfarads (given your speakers are 4 ohm. You're going to have to shop around cause it may be hard to find.

Parts Express would be the first place to look, and unfortunately I can't seem to get the PE page to load on my computer (stupid hotel network), so I can't help you there.

Another thing, you need to be absolutely sure what the impedance of your stock speakers are. Different impedances need different cap values.

Hintzyboy
05-01-2007, 04:40 PM
The capacitor value you're looking for will be about 350 microfarads (given your speakers are 4 ohm. You're going to have to shop around cause it may be hard to find.

Parts Express would be the first place to look, and unfortunately I can't seem to get the PE page to load on my computer (stupid hotel network), so I can't help you there.

Another thing, you need to be absolutely sure what the impedance of your stock speakers are. Different impedances need different cap values.

Very true. The bass blockers in the link I posted will work only if the stock speakers are 8 ohmers.

Prowler573
05-01-2007, 04:43 PM
ok i think i would be fine with a 6db 100-120hz but where can i buy the capacitor, could u send me a link cause i have no idea with kind of capacitor i would need.

Is 150Hz too high of a cutoff? If it would work Crutchfield has these (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wwdrTFc9ne8/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=761&I=127BB150A2&search=bass+blockers). :fyi:

ds80mx
05-03-2007, 09:19 PM
ya 150 would be too high i have my sub cut off at 120hz im going to try to find out how many ohms my speakers are