PDA

View Full Version : I want different tweeters

michaelsil1
04-30-2007, 12:27 PM
I now have the MB Quart QSD 216 component. The tweeters seem a little harsh at high volume. I was wondering if I could change them without running into any problems, if so what would be a much better choice.

JLAudioCavalier
04-30-2007, 12:31 PM
you are going to be looking at a few issues. the first thing is this: crossover point on your passives and how different tweeters will take certain frequencies. some can handle lower than others.

michaelsil1
04-30-2007, 12:42 PM
I thought I might run into problems with the crossover. If I stay in the same frequency range as the ones I have will I still have issues?

Babs
04-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Harsh as in too loud or as in distorted?

If just too loud, you may be able to change their setting on the crossover to lower the output.

frzninvt
04-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Titanium or metal based tweeters typically = harsh, edgy, & spitty sounding especially if pushed. It is a user preference of course.

Get some a/d/s 336PX tweeters from the seller ads_speakers on ePay, they sell for like $140/pr. Typical crossover point for 5.25 & 6.5 components is 2500Hz which is fine. Check your user manual for the MB's.

Dynaudio, Morel, and Vifa also have some very nice tweeters.

michaelsil1
05-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm not getting any distortion just a headache at high volume. I'm going to replace old tweeters with some Focal Silk Tweeters (I don't have the Series# with me) I'm assured this will help.

MiniVanMan
05-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Just make sure the impedances of the tweeters are the same. Different impedances create different crossover points.

Kriszilla
05-01-2007, 04:02 PM
No need to throw out good tweets for no reason until you've tried a couple of things...

First, in your crossover itself is a switch to adjust the attenuation of the tweeter. Try taking it down -3db or -6db and give them another listen.

If that doesn't make you happy, try reversing the phase on the tweeters and see if that mellows them out enough for you.:cool: