PDA

View Full Version : 2 subs in 1 box, only powering 1 sub for now...

c_hayhurst
04-29-2007, 10:07 AM
I have a ported box with 2 subs that I will eventually be powering 1 amp each (if and when my amps ever get here :mad: ).

In the meantime, could I put both subs in the box and power just one of them? Would this hurt the subs where one runs and the other doesn't?

hoss
04-29-2007, 10:27 AM
just run them both. only running one of them will give you problems. not to say you cant do it, just that you might as well just power them both. you will get better results that way, and the output will be the same, if not better, with the one vs the other (assuming you wire them correctly)

Blove1991
04-29-2007, 10:30 AM
x2 Dont take any chances

IonSQL
04-29-2007, 10:35 AM
If the box has separated chambers, you'll be fine.

If the subs share the same airspace, don't do it.

hoss
04-29-2007, 10:43 AM
^that too. although im willing to bet its a single chamber.

blackbonnie
04-29-2007, 11:20 AM
if its a single chamber box, do not do it. the pressure from the powered sub will damage your non-powered sub. but if it has seperate chambers i would still not do it. but thats me. i would rather wait and see what it all sounds like, then to have a muffled sound of just one.

Qbenjamin
04-29-2007, 11:28 AM
You will be fine if the chambers are separated. I did it for almost a year with one of my Orions. I had no problems whatsoever when I hooked up my other sub even though it was already in the box.....

helotaxi
04-29-2007, 11:29 AM
if its a single chamber box, do not do it. the pressure from the powered sub will damage your non-powered sub.
Actually, you'd be more likely to damage the powered sub. You effectively have it in a box 2x as big as it should be. Power handling will be severely reduced and it will sound like crap.

Trixter
04-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Actually, you'd be more likely to damage the powered sub. You effectively have it in a box 2x as big as it should be. Power handling will be severely reduced and it will sound like crap.

that's the route i was thinking...the non-powered sub will not be ruined, it will just act as a passive. but the double air space could ruin your powered one depending on the power your giving it.

Rawr-DQ
04-30-2007, 07:38 PM
I have had 4 subs in a box single chamber, 1 of them the wire disconnected, and the ***** was going crazy, atfirst I thought it was wired out of phase...but it was only disconnected.

Anyway, single chamber, nope, can not do it. You'll probably hurt both subs ;)