PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone check my specs for ED 15?

bimmer540i
04-28-2007, 11:36 AM
How does this look? I've been out of the audio scene for awhile, and I've forgot most of what I learned:confused: . But, check me on this and change something if you think it needs to. It is for 1 Elemental Designs 16.Ov.2.

Bottom depth: 23
Top depth: 10
Height: 15
Width: 34
Port length
square port width: 4
Port Length: 19

Thanks

http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

bimmer540i
04-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Somebody...........please?

Trixter
04-30-2007, 02:21 PM
i punched in the numbers you supplied...what am i supposed to check? not too sure if i'd be down with a slanted port opening like that though.

bimmer540i
04-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Just making sure I'm not too off on anything. The whole slant port is what I'm worried about. The 15 can't sit on its side due to low clearance of my trunk. Think the slant port would be ok?

Mr Cabinetry
04-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Hmmm, I'd be alittle concerned with that myself if I were building it.

But, the biggest concern should be given the degree the baffle is angled and the subwoofer you want to mount in there, odds are your not going to have the mounting depth needed and the motor of the subwoofer is going to hit the interior bottom of the enclosure.

What I would do with the port itself is change it's dimensions while maintaining the port area and design / fit it in a manner that keeps the port area as to the port size more manageable to the port center line length.

bimmer540i
04-30-2007, 06:43 PM
ha, I already built this box except sealed. Way too big. I have JUST ENOUGH space to have motor clearance.

What I would do with the port itself is change it's dimensions while maintaining the port area and design / fit it in a manner that keeps the port area as to the port size more manageable to the port center line length.

Ah, so change which direction the port is pointing?

Mr Cabinetry
05-01-2007, 10:46 AM
ha, I already built this box except sealed. Way too big. I have JUST ENOUGH space to have motor clearance.

Ah, so change which direction the port is pointing?

No, keep the port on the same plane with the sub, just change the port opening to a different size maintaining the same amount of sq.in.

Here's the RE Design Box:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/MrCabinetry/REsCalculatedBox.jpg

The same enclosure design, different port config:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/MrCabinetry/REsCalculatedBox-RevisedPort.jpg

The enclosure design is the same size as to dimensions, but, the port is configured as such to minimize the height point of the ports centerline length point in height on the angle.

Basically, all you would have do to create the slot port itself is cut another side piece, cut out notch in that side piece and this create the side port wall and all that is left is to cut the other part that makes up the rest of the slot port and your done.

The size of the port opening would be 6 3/8" h x 8 1/2" w, the port length remains constant.

Trixter
05-01-2007, 01:56 PM
how close is the end of the port from the bottom of the box?

i still don't like it. i like to keep my ports as square as possible, the operings too. can you put it so the port fires out of the top, side or back?

Mr Cabinetry
05-01-2007, 03:03 PM
how close is the end of the port from the bottom of the box?

i still don't like it. i like to keep my ports as square as possible, the operings too. can you put it so the port fires out of the top, side or back?

The port is part of the bottom of the enclosure, but, I guess you can't see that.

Well, he can certainly fire the port any direction he chooses, but, I guessing given that he designed it as a slant front baffle that he's dealing with a height limitation of 15, otherwise he wouldn't have wanted the port / subwoofer aiming in the same direction, so that kinda bags the port firing upward.

Hmmm, I didn't know I was trying to figure this out for you Trixter, unless you changed you name to Bimmer540i.

If Bimmer don't like it, then I come up with something else, otherwise, you can figure it out for him and it doesn't matter a whole he!! of whether the port is square or rectangular, I maintained his spec of 54 sq.in. of port area x 19" centerline length and that's all that matters.

Trixter
05-02-2007, 02:13 PM
well, i'm not him, just asked about your ideas. i see that the port goes to the bottom of the box now.

whatever he does he needs to remember that the effective port length ends when the port is no longer square...when the walls start to angle.