PDA

View Full Version : Custom L715 Box

lawrenq
04-27-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm in the process of building a box for 2 L7 15s in a 1995 chevy caprice. I already have a template to start off that will allow the box to sit in the very back of my trunk. But the template I have is for about 3.8 cubes. I want to increase the size of the box to about 7 cubes, and I want to have ports coming out the top of the box. So that they could fire through my rear deck into the cabin. I can increase the width of the box to 44 inches. I can't change the height, but the length can be as long as possible. Here's the template that I have to work off.

Mr Cabinetry
04-27-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm in the process of building a box for 2 L7 15s in a 1995 chevy caprice. I already have a template to start off that will allow the box to sit in the very back of my trunk. But the template I have is for about 3.8 cubes. I want to increase the size of the box to about 7 cubes, and I want to have ports coming out the top of the box. So that they could fire through my rear deck into the cabin. I can increase the width of the box to 44 inches. I can't change the height, but the length can be as long as possible. Here's the template that I have to work off.

I have seen this template before on the Impala SS forum.

Dimensions vary somewhat from the enclosure's that I've built for 94-96 Impala SS ( same trunk for the caprice ), so, you might want to create a cardboard template of the side profile of the enclosure as the present template because the part that sits below the rear deck is taller and the slant bottom that drops down to the floor is not as long.

Also, that height you want to verify as well because of the speakers mounted in the rear deck ( according to my designs ) only allow for a height of 15".

Impala Box Designs: http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/MrCabinetry/Impala%20Boxes/

As for the width, the max you can go is correct at 44" between the rear deck lid spring brackets.

lawrenq
04-27-2007, 11:24 AM
That's where I got the template from. Later today I'll measure and get the exact dimensions on the slant. I don't use the rear speakers so the height of my box can be 17 inches.

Mr Cabinetry
04-27-2007, 12:10 PM
As for the other question as to increasing the volume of the enclosure.

Once you determine that the template you have jives with the dimensions you verify and if they don't jive, adjust what required.

Once you got that all sorted out, here's what ya do to figure out how to gain that volume because your going to have to increase depth to gain it with a max width of 44".

Side Profile:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/MrCabinetry/Impala%20Boxes/SideProfile.jpg

Once you layout the side profile of the enclosure based on the measurements and have included the thickness of the MDF, determine the Square Inches of the Blue & Yellow Sections since this part of the enclosure isn't going to change.

Once you got the Square Inches both, total them up and multiply that number by 42.5 ( interior width of the box ) divide by 1728 which will give you the CU.FT. of those sections.

Now, the Green Section is where math comes into the picture to make up the balance of the volume you need for the rest of the enclosure.

So, determine the remaining Square Inches required for the Green Section to make up for the balance of the volume you need.

Remaining Volume:

Cu.ft. x 1728 = Cu. In. I.D. Width I.D Height = I.D. Depth = Green Section