PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic oil

89montero
04-26-2007, 09:36 PM
I normally just get my oil changed at jiffylube with regular oil every 3k miles. I was planning on just doing my own changes, never really felt comfortable letting those guys mess with my car.

I wanted to try synthetic oil but someone said once you switch to synthetic it's bad for the engine to switch back to regular. Is this true?
How often do you change oil with synthetic, is it the same as regular? I was planning on using royal purple.

Silver
04-26-2007, 10:53 PM
It really depends on the milage of the vehicle.

93 saturn sl2
04-26-2007, 10:59 PM
My 14 year old car had regular oil in it all its life and about 2 years ago I switched to synthetic. Ive had no problems at all.

But to answer your question, oil is oil to your engine. You can change back and fourth .

fakename
04-27-2007, 01:07 AM
i use royal purple.

dleccord
04-27-2007, 02:52 AM
i highly doubt that switching from synthetic back to regular is going to cause some damage. you should do some searches over in some automotive forums.

phyphoestilic
04-27-2007, 02:59 AM
i've heard the same. I've been using synthetic for as long as i've done my own oil changes (got the car at 90k, now has 125k on it.) no problems so far, but duno if it's been using synthetic before.

audiobahnuser18
04-27-2007, 03:01 AM
once you go to synthetic don't switch back to regular oil it can fck up your car if it's an older car. cause what it is your engine get's used to the sythetic oil and then after u go to put normal in its thinking its normal and will either run kinda wierd doesn't happen with all cars all depends on mileage and year of the car really:).

dleccord
04-27-2007, 03:06 AM
engines dont think man.

there's been a lot of oil leak ever since i switch to synthetic but it doesnt bother me much.

phyphoestilic
04-27-2007, 03:08 AM
engines dont think man.

there's been a lot of oil leak ever since i switch to synthetic but it doesnt bother me much.

mine does. ECUs :)

dleccord
04-27-2007, 03:15 AM
i dont know about ECUs then. are you suppose to restart your ECU when you put in synthetic?

phyphoestilic
04-27-2007, 03:21 AM
iono, im just saying. My engine kinda thinks. :p:

ssj2xxgotenxx
04-27-2007, 03:22 AM
I switched from regular to synthetic at 2,000 miles, along with a bunch of guys on my other forum. Mobile 1 synthetic is the way to go.

phyphoestilic
04-27-2007, 03:24 AM
I switched from regular to synthetic at 2,000 miles, along with a bunch of guys on my other forum. Mobile 1 synthetic is the way to go.

but so much monies :crap: . Used it once, then had to goto another synthetic oil cuse i couldnt afford it. :laugh: . My dad uses it on the SL600 and S55 he owns.

bigbirney420
04-27-2007, 11:45 AM
engines dont think man.

That why they say not to switch to syntetics on many higher mileage cars. When heated it has less viscocity that dino oil, and thats why you have more leaks. On most cars synthetc is overkill, unless you are in really hot climate or have high horepower, or torque for towing, its not really necessary. A conventional oil or syn. blend is more than enough for 90% of cars. Its more in the quality of the oil filter, and frequency of changes. Dont use FRAM filters.

phyphoestilic
04-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Ya I've been using synthetic blend. Thats what im thinking of. With K&N Oil filters. Change my oil and filter every 3k :D I use the castrol stuff now, forgot what it was called.

jdawg
04-27-2007, 12:06 PM
I seen an engine pulled apart at 100k that had synthetic oil its whole life and it looked brand fricken new, this was a test done by Chrysler on a Dakota 4.7 engine. My engine leaks enough I dont worry about synthetic but if I had a solid engine then I would deff go synthetic. Mobil 1 is where its at. But yea if you have leaks and use synthetic it will leak more.

dleccord
04-27-2007, 12:11 PM
That why they say not to switch to syntetics on many higher mileage cars. When heated it has less viscocity that dino oil, and thats why you have more leaks. On most cars synthetc is overkill, unless you are in really hot climate or have high horepower, or torque for towing, its not really necessary. A conventional oil or syn. blend is more than enough for 90% of cars. Its more in the quality of the oil filter, and frequency of changes. Dont use FRAM filters.

yeah i was aware of the oil leak prior to switching to synthetic. i bought 5 quarts of synthetic from walmart for like $23. so thats not too bad.

i use mobil 1 filters. pretty steep; they're like 11 bucks a pop.

Bloodstalker999
04-27-2007, 12:24 PM
My sister's boyfriend is a moble1 dealer, so I switched my car over. I think its a lot better, I don't have to change the oil until like 10k and even then I can have them pull a sample and get it tested to see if I need to change or just top off. Like it has been stated its only for a solid non-leaking engines.

Lunchbocks
04-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Ok guys maybe you didn't get the memo but for those of you swearing by Mobil 1... Mobile 1 is no longer a true synthetic, I repeat, Mobile 1 is no longer a true synthetic.

Here's some solid info:
http://www.g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143074

bigbirney420
04-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Ok guys maybe you didn't get the memo but for those of you swearing by Mobil 1... Mobile 1 is no longer a true synthetic, I repeat, Mobile 1 is no longer a true synthetic.

Here's some solid info:
http://www.g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143074

Hes right, Its a level 3 which is what most off the shelf "full Synthetics" are. It doesnt matter that much for most cars. Amsoil, Royal Prple and German Castrol are ony level 4 truly full synthetics that I know of.m But like I said it doesnt matter that much. Get a good filter and change oil regularly no matter what you use.

Ignatowski
04-27-2007, 06:47 PM
I normally just get my oil changed at jiffylube with regular oil every 3k miles. I was planning on just doing my own changes, never really felt comfortable letting those guys mess with my car.

I wanted to try synthetic oil but someone said once you switch to synthetic it's bad for the engine to switch back to regular. Is this true?
How often do you change oil with synthetic, is it the same as regular? I was planning on using royal purple.

Jiffy Lube is the worst oil chance place you can bring your car too.......
Most Jiffy style oil chance centers use single stage imported filters
A good filter is made in the USA and is dual stage.....
Jiffy lube charges for work not performed,jiffy lube is overpriced
and the **** up the windows in your car with that lame glasscleaning job

Synthetic is the best,I use Mobil 1 in all my cars,I do my own changes and
I use WIX filters when ever possible

CaliforniabOY5
04-27-2007, 06:55 PM
I use German Castrol :)

CaliforniabOY5
04-27-2007, 06:55 PM
oh ****. . . i USED :(

Alpine CDA-9815
04-27-2007, 07:49 PM
LOL... Mobil 1 is not a true full synthetics, which is why it will never be in my car again (it only was since it was in there from the factory).

Hes right, Its a level 3 which is what most off the shelf "full Synthetics" are. It doesnt matter that much for most cars. Amsoil, Royal Prple and German Castrol are ony level 4 truly full synthetics that I know of.m But like I said it doesnt matter that much. Get a good filter and change oil regularly no matter what you use.
Don't forget Red Line... which I use.

I would never let Jiffy Lub touch my car, I have heard of too many bad stories about them. Even known a person to have their motor get ruined cuz they did not refill the motor with oil...

theCybe
04-27-2007, 08:20 PM
www.bobistheoilguy.com (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com) - more than you could ever want to know about oil, from guys who actually send their used oil in for particle analysis.

theCybe
04-27-2007, 08:21 PM
FWIW, Napa's Gold filters are made by wix.

89montero
04-28-2007, 02:24 PM
for those running synthetic how often do you change your oil? I have had people tell me to keep doing it at 3k and then others have said as much as 25k, both seem pretty far off. I was thinking maybe around 7k? If it matters it's an 89 Mitsubishi montero with 80K miles on the engine, I drive mixed traffic and highway, about 350 miles every two weeks.

Right now with regular I change very 3k miles.

phantom240
04-28-2007, 02:27 PM
I used mobil1 in my acura for the year and a half I had it and did many thousands of miles in it, mostly city... and changed it every 5k. Of course, I had to add some because of my drain plug leaking (stupid oil cahnge place) until I changed the plug and crush washer.

Alpine CDA-9815
04-28-2007, 03:21 PM
for those running synthetic how often do you change your oil? I have had people tell me to keep doing it at 3k and then others have said as much as 25k, both seem pretty far off. I was thinking maybe around 7k? If it matters it's an 89 Mitsubishi montero with 80K miles on the engine, I drive mixed traffic and highway, about 350 miles every two weeks.

Right now with regular I change very 3k miles.
That would depend on your driving IMO. I'm usually pretty easy on my car but I do beat on it now and then. So I change it every 3k miles. Personaly I wouldn't go more than 5k miles.

ToyTundra
04-28-2007, 07:04 PM
@ 89montero: get your oil anylized. it's the only real way to know how much life it has left. I've heard 5-10k. I personlly run dino oil because that's what the factory put in. If Toyota didn't think i need synth, i don't think i need it either.

*prepares for rant about how manufacturers run dino so the dealers can make $$ on oil changes*

89montero
04-28-2007, 11:18 PM
I just did the change this afternoon to royal purple. I took it for a test run around the block and I was pretty surprised when I pulled out of my driveway and there was a definite increase in power. Not huge but definitely noticeable.

Qbenjamin
04-28-2007, 11:26 PM
I used mobil1 in my acura for the year and a half I had it and did many thousands of miles in it, mostly city... and changed it every 5k. Of course, I had to add some because of my drain plug leaking (stupid oil cahnge place) until I changed the plug and crush washer.

X2, I normally change my oil every 5K miles, but more like 4K miles of city driving. Most of the time I will just wait until the CHANGE ENGINE OIL shows up on my message center. I have been using Mobil1 also/Filter too

ighettoboyi
05-03-2007, 04:51 PM
I still like Castrol GTX... pretty much the best dino juice available. If I were to use synthetic I'd probably go with German Castrol. I personally don't like Amsoil's marketing tactics. For Class III synthetics, Mobil 1 is great, it's a lot better than US made Castrol Syntec. We've seen sooty valvetrains with US made Castrol Syntec that cleaned up quite nicely with a few Mobil 1 changes...

bbka
05-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I use regular Castrol GTX 10w30 in my turbo honda, mainly because it's cheap and I change my oil every 1000-1500 miles. I also don't really drive it that often anymore, so getting synthetic oil would just be a waste for me. If I had a built motor or expensive ball bearing turbo, then I would run synthetic, but not with a sotck d-series motor and $300 turbo. My dad uses synthetic in his 06 SSR though (LS2 engine).