PDA

View Full Version : Difference between fixed base and plunge base routers?

Anonymous
04-26-2007, 09:16 PM
I am looking to use the router to round off the edges of the box and the port. I will also be using it with a circle jig to cut holes so which router would i need to do this? I know it is a dumb question but i am new to routers and box building in general. Also what kind of bit do i need to round the edges for a smooth finish?

fwb_1234
04-26-2007, 09:34 PM
either will work, but a plunge would be easier because you can aim the router then just plot it down.
3/8" round over bit.

James Bang
04-26-2007, 10:05 PM
I would choose a plunge router for adjusting purposes. The size of it is up to you. 3/8" as said above is great for the port pieces, since 3/8" + 3/8" = 3/4"

If you're rounding over a sealed box, the size of the roundover bit is up to you, depending how round you'd like that ***.

For ported boxes, I like to use 1/2" inside the mouth of the port and 1/4" on the edges of the box.

oglejust
04-26-2007, 11:54 PM
plunge router FTW!

baseballer1100
04-27-2007, 01:38 AM
You can use either one but imo the plunge is easier for circles. Fixed based for everything else. If your looking to buy Get the combo pack from bosch i believe its the 1617evs. Amazing and a great price. Get either a 1/4 straight cut or spiral upcut bit.

Anonymous
04-27-2007, 02:13 PM
yeah the problem is that home depot around here does not carry Bosch routers. I have a combo pack from Ridgid Model #R2900 but I just ordered a Jasper circle jig and it did not mention anything about Ridgid routers being compatible, as a matter of fact the only thing that they carried that was mentioned for the jasper jig was some Ryobi and it was not a combo pack, and a rather cheap looking router. And i have to get my **** from home depot because the money is on a home depot gift card. So does anyone know if the Ridgid I have will work with the Jasper Jig or am i screwed because i already ordered the jig?

mlstrass
04-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Got my router from HD also, Ryobi plunge for like $80, but it wasn't listed as working with the Jasper jig, but it lined up fine.

Spiral upcut bit at HD FTW...

WantedIsHere
04-27-2007, 03:33 PM
jasper lists ryobi as a compatible router btw.... on a side note i have yet to find a router that my jaspers didnt work with... cheap tools show routers, harbor freight routers etc... i have a few and all work fine

iamamp3pimp
04-28-2007, 09:05 PM
how much is a Jasper, and what are the max size circles that you can cut with it?

iamamp3pimp
04-28-2007, 09:05 PM
As much as i Build its probably worth it.

helotaxi
04-29-2007, 02:55 AM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=365-260

$50 for both and 18 3/16" for that model. There is a model that goes bigger, though.

There is also a model that goes almost as small as the smaller jig in that combo pack and out to the same size. It you do tweeter cutouts, get the 2 jig combo pack. Get a cordless Ryobi laminate trimmer and permanently mount it on one jig or the other with a spiral bit chucked up and you're GTG.

bjfish11
04-29-2007, 10:55 AM
I am looking to use the router to round off the edges of the box and the port. I will also be using it with a circle jig to cut holes so which router would i need to do this? I know it is a dumb question but i am new to routers and box building in general. Also what kind of bit do i need to round the edges for a smooth finish?
It has probably been answered, but I didnt read the whole thread. If you will be cutting circles, get a plunge router. Fixed base would be better for roundovers, but it will work better like that, than using a fixed base to cut circles.

As much as i Build its probably worth it.

You should get a Jasper. It is one of the best piece equipment I have bought for building boxes. Its so easy, and turns out so perfect.

ballstothewall
04-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah the cheap ryobi plunge router is a nice router. I have that and it works fine with the jasper jig.

Thats an alright router, bought one of those for my last build. I'd recommend it for someone on a budget.