PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing new speakers

GaresTaylan
04-26-2007, 07:06 PM
I have been doing some research reading some other posts and visiting a few other boards to try and assist my decision but Im hoping that maybe I can get some input from you guys as well.

I currently have 6 1/2" Kicker SS Components in the front and rear of my 2004 Mustang. I custom made some brackets to hold this size speaker in their respective locations. Just like a lot of people, I have had them for almost 2 years and I've started to grow tired of them and am looking at some new speakers. I dont have many local shops around in my area, mostly just major businesses like CC and BB.

I have been reading and looking into the Rainbows and the Polk SR's. I have heard the DB's and liked the sound they produce, and my Kicker's get to the point where my ears start to bleed a little too fast. So I think the term would be that I am looking for something with a warm/smoother sound.

I can get the Polk SR's for around $340/pair from an employee purchase program, which seems like a good deal. However, I havent much to compare to since I have never heard any Rainbows. What do you guys reccommend (series of rainbows, etc) for what I am trying to achieve. In general I listen to anything from techno to bands like Cradle of Filth, 3 Days Grace, but have my moments when I just want to cool down with something more classical. Any feedback is appreciated, and sorry for the short novel.

konechiwa
04-26-2007, 09:23 PM
SLC 265 Kick is really good. Germs are good. How much are you willing to spend?

DejaWiz
04-26-2007, 10:33 PM
For that price, I'd be jumping all over the SR's. If you can spend in the $450-500 range, go for a set of Rainbow Germaniums.

GaresTaylan
04-26-2007, 10:51 PM
When I got the Kicker SS a couple years ago I spent around $240 a pair, which was a pretty good deal. I don't think I would like to go up quite as high as 4500 a pair for speakers, but that isn't to say that it is out of the question. I would like to keep the same amp I have, which is the Eclipse XA4000 since I failed to mention that. I just wanted to look to something that will last me another couple years at least (hopefully longer) but I've never had a brand or series of speakers that I've not grown tired of.

Have you guys heard the SR's and the Germs both? The Germs and SLC Kick seem to have been the most mentioned speakers from what I have read in other posts. What type of difference will I notice between the two of these, also in comparison to the SR's? I have filled the doors with polyfoam, and used excess dynamat xtreme left over from customer installs that I've accumulated on both doors. I appreciate the feedback so far, and please keep it coming.

DejaWiz
04-26-2007, 10:54 PM
With an XA4000 amp, either the SR's or the Germs biamped would sound awesome. Both will offer a very high accuracy of playback given your deadening job.

I have auditioned the SR's and they are an amazing set of comps. If you can bump up your budget, I'd say go with the Germs, though.
If you're still stuck on your decidion, you might want to PM PremierAudio and/or 6spdcoupe and ask them to give you their thoughts between the two and how they fit with your goals.

MikeM231
04-27-2007, 02:20 AM
I am running germs with 150W per side, and I love them. best in class for 450ish IMO.

kappa546
04-27-2007, 02:47 AM
i give the polk sr one vote. also, check out pioneers ts-c720prs which can be had super cheap on ebay or online stores.

genxx
04-27-2007, 07:34 AM
Thats an awsome deal on SR's, if you can get them for that's I would probably do. Even if you decide you did not like them should be able to get back almost what you payed for them if sold them. SR for that price get's my VOTE.
x2-$450-500ish Rainbow Germs
720PRS-hard to beat for the price point of $250ish
Rainbow SLC 265 Kick are not bad priced either
If wanted go 3-way up front for about the same price as the SR's mabey look at the SLC 365.

RidgelineNate
04-27-2007, 02:38 PM
I don't know why this doesnt come up more, but you can get the Rainbow CMXs for about $300-$350. They are great and in between the SLC and Germ lines. I have them and love them. I got mine from premieraudio he was a great seller.

I have them running on a Sundown SAX 100.2

DejaWiz
04-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Thats an awsome deal on SR's, if you can get them for that's I would probably do. Even if you decide you did not like them should be able to get back almost what you payed for them if sold them.

I've seen used SR sets go for over $400 on ebay. A profit could be made!

genxx
04-27-2007, 03:13 PM
X2. To bad he can't buy as many as he wants and re-sell them. Wait I didn't say that.
Rainbow CMX very true RidgelineNate

Gary S
04-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Those Kicker SS series speakers were modeled after the Polk's.

Install the speakers in the kick panels. Speaker placement is more important.

Hintzyboy
04-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Those Kicker SS series speakers were modeled after the Polk's.

Install the speakers in the kick panels. Speaker placement is more important.

Um, pretty sure the SS line has been out for a while. The SRs came out within the last year or so.

GaresTaylan
04-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Um, pretty sure the SS line has been out for a while. The SRs came out within the last year or so.

He may have meant that the Kicker speakers were modeled after Polk's lines in general and not specifically the SR's, because I checked with our Polk Audio rep today and he did confirm that the Kicker SS series was created in 2004, where as the Polk's were created in 2006. So, unless the rep doesn't have his facts straight, I'm not sure how that 'modeling' would work. :confused:

In terms of speaker placement, I am well aware of the fact that speaker positioning is more important. However, my vehicle gets rather full with people sometimes that don't know how to not swing their feet all around. Granted you can use a grill, etc. to protect them, it is more beneficial for me to keep them in the doors. Also, I created the topic because I am looking to upgrade and move on to something different, not necessarily looking for advice on what to do to make my current ones sound better, although I do appreciate the advice.

I have been leaning more toward the Polk's though. As much as I have heard about the Rainbows, I still know what Polk can produce in terms of sound so that soothes my mind a little bit more. Also, another factor is indeed price. Going from roughly $700 for 2 pairs of Polk's to $900-$1000 for two pairs of Germs may not seem like much to some people, but everyone is different. I still look forward to any feedback and I'll post my decision when I eventually come to it.

Tonyguy
04-29-2007, 06:52 PM
I'd go with the polks. I can get them for that pricew also, so now i'm just saving up. But From what i hear and have heard, the polks are awesome comps.

Gary S
04-29-2007, 07:09 PM

He may have meant that the Kicker speakers were modeled after Polk's lines in general and not specifically the SR's, because I checked with our Polk Audio rep today and he did confirm that the Kicker SS series was created in 2004, where as the Polk's were created in 2006. So, unless the rep doesn't have his facts straight, I'm not sure how that 'modeling' would work. :confused:

- The Polks have been out since at least 2005, maybe earlier... but that's beside the point... somebody had to design them before that... and the same guy that bid on the design job for the Polks also designed the Kicker SS series.

For every 10 car audio brands, there is only one designer/factory. Most brands are just glorified marketing companies.

With that said, that does not mean they will sound exactly the same, but they are in the same ball park... but the Polks' are overpriced in my opinion.

It's not that kick panel installs are more vulnerable to damage... more likely someone is lazy.

GaresTaylan
04-30-2007, 01:17 AM
- The Polks have been out since at least 2005, maybe earlier... but that's beside the point... somebody had to design them before that... and the same guy that bid on the design job for the Polks also designed the Kicker SS series.

For every 10 car audio brands, there is only one designer/factory. Most brands are just glorified marketing companies.

With that said, that does not mean they will sound exactly the same, but they are in the same ball park... but the Polks' are overpriced in my opinion.

It's not that kick panel installs are more vulnerable to damage... more likely someone is lazy.

Understood. Like I said, there is a very good possibility that the rep I spoke with didn't have his facts straight.

In terms of being lazy, I hope that was a generalization of most people and not a direct shot at me, because trust me, I have no problem admiting that I am being lazy and taking an easy way out on an install, or anything in general to be honest. What I said, was the truth in my particular situation. You don't know the type of people that get into my car sometimes, especially late night on the weekends when everyone is trashed out of their minds. Sometimes, they *are* more vulnerable to damage. Every person and their situations are generally unique, and what stands for one person or *most* people doesn't always stand for everyone, which is where the 'more likely' scenario might come in.