PDA

View Full Version : Deadening the outside facing skin of the inner panel necessary?

websterbud
04-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Is this over kill or will I be fine deadening the inside of the outer panel and the inside of the inner panel...thanks in advance.

alphakenny1
04-26-2007, 01:20 PM
deaden anything and everything you can.

kendogg
04-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Is this over kill or will I be fine deadening the inside of the outer panel and the inside of the inner panel...thanks in advance.

That's the most efficient place to deaden IMO. Look at Second Skin Audio products, www.secondskin.com. I suggest a layer of Damplifier or Damp Pro, or spray the entire inside of the door with Spectrum. Thats what I'm doing. But I'm going very, very overkill on my install, lol

Anthony Collova
04-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Treating the skin inside the door will help reduce the vibrations from the speaker, as well as the road noise vibrations. You should still apply a speaker pad, deflex pad or at a minimum some clossed cell foam on top of your damping mat to absorb the rear wave.

Treating the door skin which holds the speaker is good because the speaker generates its own vibrations.

Here is how an ideal door install would look (ideal, not typical):

2 layers inside door behind window
1 Layer on the skin that the speaker attaches to
1 layer on back side of the skin that the speaker attaches to
1 extra layer behind speaker - 1 sq ft
1 extra layer around Speaker - 1 sq ft

1 layer closed cell foam inside door behind window on top of damper
1 layer closed cell foam on back side of the skin the speaker attaches to
1 sound defusing pad behind speaker

That is ideal.

ANT
www.secondskinaudio.com

DejaWiz
04-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Ant, as usual, you and your advice are awesome.

OP - That's exactly what I want to get done with my car... and hopefully will if I can save up enough cash. It's certainly not a cheap undertaking, but it's worth it if and when done right. Follow Ant's advice if you can. And accept no inferior substitute... go with Second Skin.

bass_lover1
04-26-2007, 11:58 PM
To add to what Ant said, it's also a very good idea (you'd be stupid not to imo)build MDF rings, even if you don't need them to clear the window or anything, decoupling them from the door skin is a good idea, also my new personal fav is to put non-hardening modeling clay around the mdf ring (yes so it looks like one of those cool baking soda volcanoes you made in elementary school) and to actually put it on the part of the ring that the speaker mounts to, which will further decouple it from the door.

To clear up, you have the speaker baffle it self, soft cushy layer of clay, then MDF spacer, so yea the speaker will actually have a layer of clay between it and the MDF baffle.

Here's a good read :) (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27)

websterbud
04-27-2007, 02:13 AM
cool. thanks a lot guys. very helpful.

Gary S
04-28-2007, 03:58 AM
I'm not sure there is such a thing as overkill when it comes to damping and insulating a car, especially the doors.

A Kick panel install would eliminate a lot of noise, but not road noise.