PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Speakers

robob2
04-26-2007, 12:37 PM
I have pretty much settled on the JL audio 500/5 amp. I like the all in one approach and I'm not that intereseted in tons of power for the sub, I just want decent quality sound at a decent price.

I enjoy cliasic rock, some jazz and have recently started to listen to a little classical. I was originally thinking about JL XR 650 CSi for the fronts and JL VR690 CXi for the rears. I've listened to the XR's locally and they sound nice to my tastes. I thought them to have a full sound and not harsh in the high end. The online prices for these add up to about $450 or so.

Then I came here and heard about Rainbows and CDT.....

I've gotten information on the CDT EF-61, the Rainbow SLC and CMX lines, along with their 6x9 coax counter parts for the rears and was hoping those here might be able to offer some feedback or advice. ANyone compare any of these or have any words of wisdom about these choices?

Thanks!

Bob

kaneo13
04-26-2007, 01:04 PM
In the past I have owned coaxials and components in both the TR and VR line. I was always impressed with the quality of JL speakers. If you want to get a 5 channel amp you could also look at other options. The 500/5 is a quality amp but doesn't have the best output. I would definitely want to feed the XRs more than that amp will give them.

nate2587
04-26-2007, 01:09 PM
focal, rainbow, cdt, and cadence they are all pretty good speakers sound quality is really good on all of them. whatever you choose i would stay with a component set of speakers

robob2
04-26-2007, 01:39 PM
In the past I have owned coaxials and components in both the TR and VR line. I was always impressed with the quality of JL speakers. If you want to get a 5 channel amp you could also look at other options. The 500/5 is a quality amp but doesn't have the best output. I would definitely want to feed the XRs more than that amp will give them.

The JL has 100 watts per channel on the fronts, do you think I need more than that? I generally listen at a moderate level am I'm more interested in sound qaulity as opposed to level. Plus, I believe the XRs are rated at 70 or 80 watts per channel, would I really want to give them more?. Do you have any AMP recomnedations?

Bob

robob2
04-26-2007, 01:52 PM
focal, rainbow, cdt, and cadence they are all pretty good speakers sound quality is really good on all of them. whatever you choose i would stay with a component set of speakers

For the fronts, I'm only looking at components only. For the rears I was thinking about coaxials as it's only for fill. Do you think the entry level Rainbow is comparable to the JL XR650?

Bob

DejaWiz
04-27-2007, 10:19 PM
What is your overall speaker budget, not including sub?

[edit] nm.... see below

:)

DejaWiz
04-27-2007, 10:24 PM
If you're planning to pay avg internet pricing of $250ish for those XR650's, do yourself a huge favor and upgrade to the Rainbow SLC265 (about $230) or the SLC265 Kick (about $280).

PM PremierAudio and 6spdcoupe for each of their latest pricing, as they are both dealers.

azngotskills
04-27-2007, 11:05 PM
I thought my Rainbow SLC 265 sounded better in my car than all the mid-line speakers available for me to hear on a soundboard such as the JL XRs....PM 6spdcoupe :)

kaneo13
04-28-2007, 01:13 AM
The JL has 100 watts per channel on the fronts, do you think I need more than that? I generally listen at a moderate level am I'm more interested in sound qaulity as opposed to level. Plus, I believe the XRs are rated at 70 or 80 watts per channel, would I really want to give them more?. Do you have any AMP recomnedations?

Bob

100W RMS for these speakers would be just fine. It is better to overpower speakers and set the gains on the amp then underpower them.

I am running a 5 channel Audison amp (LRX5.1K). It gives out 160W x 2 to the fronts, 50W x 2 to the rears, and 750W x 1 to the sub all into 4 ohms. I am from Canada so I can't compare it in price to the 500/5, but it is great bang for your buck. If you wanted to save some cash you could get the LRX3.1K and skip the rear fill (it has the same specs as the 5.1K but without the 50W x 2).

I think this amp combined with the XRs and a 12" sub would be a nice little SQ system.

DejaWiz
04-28-2007, 01:19 AM
I think this amp combined with the XRs and a 12" sub would be a nice little SQ system.

Agreed. But with SLC265 or SLC265 Kicks it would be a better SQ system. :naughty: :p:

Savstyle
04-28-2007, 01:19 AM
sold the jl speakers. IMO they dont sound anywhere near as good as the SLC's. as for the amp its your choice

Gary S
04-28-2007, 03:44 AM
That JL Amp has a very unique feature... it has a L-R or rear fill switch which will send a surround signal to the rear speakers. Highly recommended.

Although not necessary, I would use identical speakers front and rear if possible (You would not use two different speakers for left and right, why do it in the rear... think about it).

MiniVanMan
04-28-2007, 02:42 PM
With that amp you'd be insane not to go active. The crossovers on that amp are wonderful, and you can save a ton of money over going with a prepackaged component set.

Just a thought. 100 watts to mid and 25 watts to a tweeter is great.

If you need rear fill, then you can always use head unit power for that.

konechiwa
04-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Agreed. But with SLC265 or SLC265 Kicks it would be a better SQ system. :naughty: :p:

SLCs rock

x2

DejaWiz
04-28-2007, 04:39 PM
With that amp you'd be insane not to go active. The crossovers on that amp are wonderful, and you can save a ton of money over going with a prepackaged component set.

Agreed! Forget rear fill and use the amp to go active with front comps.

Hintzyboy
04-28-2007, 06:05 PM

:word: Especially with that kind of budget. $450 will buy a very nice set of raw drivers.

Hintzyboy
04-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Seas Excel Nextel mids $300: http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=5760488.4484&pid=1940

Check this review for tweeters: http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/

You can find most of those products over at www.madisound.com

robob2
04-28-2007, 08:58 PM
I thought my Rainbow SLC 265 sounded better in my car than all the mid-line speakers available for me to hear on a soundboard such as the JL XRs....PM 6spdcoupe :)

What did you think of the XRs when you listened? How would you rate the SLC to the XR's in terms of smoothness, vocals and mid bass?

Bob

robob2
04-28-2007, 08:59 PM
If you're planning to pay avg internet pricing of $250ish for those XR650's, do yourself a huge favor and upgrade to the Rainbow SLC265 (about $230) or the SLC265 Kick (about $280).

PM PremierAudio and 6spdcoupe for each of their latest pricing, as they are both dealers.

Did you have a chance to listen to the XR's? If so, how do they comare to the SLC?

Bob

robob2
04-28-2007, 09:06 PM
100W RMS for these speakers would be just fine. It is better to overpower speakers and set the gains on the amp then underpower them.

I am running a 5 channel Audison amp (LRX5.1K). It gives out 160W x 2 to the fronts, 50W x 2 to the rears, and 750W x 1 to the sub all into 4 ohms. I am from Canada so I can't compare it in price to the 500/5, but it is great bang for your buck. If you wanted to save some cash you could get the LRX3.1K and skip the rear fill (it has the same specs as the 5.1K but without the 50W x 2).

Is the Audison amp available online? If so, would you happen to have a link to an online store?

I was thinking of an eight or ten inch sub. I really don't want a lot of boom, just tight coverage for the below 100 hz range. Any thoughts on a sub?

Thanks,

Bob

robob2
04-28-2007, 09:09 PM
sold the jl speakers. IMO they dont sound anywhere near as good as the SLC's. as for the amp its your choice

If you wouldn't mind would you be able to give me a comparison between the two? When I listened to the XR650, I thought they sounded pretty good and had very good mid range for vocals. They were maybe a little edgey in the high end which I didn't like, but otherwise I thought they were nice.

Thanks,

Bob

robob2
04-28-2007, 09:11 PM

This is going to be my first install and I'm not sure I'm up to the task of seperates. Plus, I understand it may be difficult to get extra wires into my front doors. Although there are tweeters on the dash too....

Bob

MiniVanMan
04-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Okay, let me help a bit.

This is a rock solid setup, for half of what you're considering the JL's or Rainbows for.

http://www.mach5audio.com/index-2.html

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=7597892.16908&pid=2137

There's no difference actually when doing passive and active components with wiring except running the extra speaker wire from the amp. Either you run the extra wire from the amp (active) or from the crossover (passive). Either way, both the mid and tweeter need their own wiring going to them.

That is unless you plan on putting the crossovers in the doors as well as the mid and tweeters.

If you have dash mounted tweeters already, use that location. It's a piece of cake getting wires into the dash area.