PDA

View Full Version : 3 way stretch versus 4 way stretch vinyl?

PolishDude
04-25-2007, 06:13 PM
I see that I can get 3 way stretch vinyl for about 10 bucks or 4 way stretch vinyl for 20 bucks. I am wondering what the difference is between the two? Except the obvious. I will be covering a fiberglass enclosure and want the best results. How can a product only stretch 3 ways, what directions would the vinyl stretch? up, down, left? How does it stretch left but not right for example? My understanding is the 4 way stretch stretches in every direction but I am not sure if its worth double the price. I would need 2 yards so I am saving about 20 bucks.

helotaxi
04-25-2007, 08:05 PM
3-way is along the vertical axis (up AND down), along the horizontal axis (left AND right) and diagonally. I think it will only do one diagonal at a time. The 4-way should be able to stretch in every direction at once.

W8 a minute
04-25-2007, 08:20 PM
3-way is along the vertical axis (up AND down), along the horizontal axis (left AND right) and diagonally. I think it will only do one diagonal at a time. The 4-way should be able to stretch in every direction at once.

^correct^

Vinyl itself will stretch in any direction with heat. It's the type of backing that is fused to it that prevents the stretch. The backing is not removable because it is molded in during the production. I have been able to score the backside of vinyl, therefore cutting the backing, which allowed me to stretch the vinyl in the desired direction. I wouldn't recommend this for a large area but for small detail work it's life saver.
Go to a fabric store and look at the backside of their vinyl. Stretch it and you'll see it only stretches in certain directions and not others. You'll notice this is limited to the backing (looks like fine mesh netting). This is the netting I cut with a razor blade when needed.

IMHO opinion 20 bucks a yard is robbery.