PDA

View Full Version : need more midbass!

phrozen_lad
04-25-2007, 12:50 PM
hi guys i have the following system:

2x RE SE ported off 2000w (gains turned down)
us amps tu600 -> front comps most likely will be ID CSX 64 or Hertz HSK 165s

but i dont think either comps will be able to produce enough midbass to keep up with the subs :confused: im thinking another set of comps in the rear should help or a 2x 8" midbasses but that would take the soundstage back further :S

the tu600 is 2ch so is there *somehow* i can set different hpf/lpf for the rears/fronts or is this impossible?

what would you do?!!?

thanks guys :)
(cars an alfa romeo 147 hatchback if it makes a difference)

phrozen

Twistid
04-25-2007, 12:54 PM
ya, you can always go for 7-8" woofers in the doors, thats what im doing

partsexpress.com has dayton 7" woofers for like 35 bucks

phrozen_lad
04-25-2007, 01:03 PM
i just had a look and it says they're for home audio? does that make a difference?

thanks for replyin!

phrozen

Twistid
04-25-2007, 01:09 PM
just get the 4ohm version , it will be fine for car audio

phrozen_lad
04-25-2007, 01:12 PM
cheers Twistid :)

bdavies11
04-25-2007, 06:04 PM
ya, you can always go for 7-8" woofers in the doors, thats what im doing

partsexpress.com has dayton 7" woofers for like 35 bucks

What about Tang bands 6.5 woofers? Would they be just as good if not a better choice than the Daytons for midbass?

phrozen_lad
04-25-2007, 10:26 PM
dayton/tang band are not really popular here in the uk at all...so i have no idea!!

B_Campbell
04-25-2007, 10:59 PM
If you want lots of midbass build a little ported enclosure for what ever you get, I will throw my recommendations in here. The daytons are nice, I like these, but they cost alot more than the daytons. Gotta love the american made DD mids, they are monsters...

http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/images/productPics/2007_DDW6_3qtr_med.jpg

bass_lover1
04-26-2007, 08:11 AM
i just had a look and it says they're for home audio? does that make a difference?

thanks for replyin!

phrozen

No not at all, but they make a 4 ohm car audio version. For what it's worth my Peerless mids are home audio drivers, but they do wonders in car :)

Also, about the daytons, be careful about the 7's, with the aluminum cone they don't play very well above 2k hz.

On a side note, if you're worried about not having enough midbass, the single best thing you could do is sound deaden your doors, that will improve midbass response immensely.

phrozen_lad
04-26-2007, 11:27 AM
thanks for the replies guys :)

in the front doors im going to dynamat the outter skin then sludge,seal the whole door up with dynamat then sludge ontop of that. Hopefully that will bring out maximum midbass- just wondering if that will be enough to keep up with 2 ported subs?

the DD mids look tasty but in the uk we have to go through some dd africa website and its just too complicated!! how much are they in the states? are they just small subs or specificially designed mids? Also was looking at the old XXX mids, theres a 2nd hand set going for 180 (~$360) which look interesting?

thanks a lot guys :)

phrozen

mike dressure
04-26-2007, 11:33 AM
look into some powerbass 3xl comp's they have great midbass response! there is a few places where you can get them cheap!

SaturnSC1
04-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Powerbass 3XL component sets? How exactly do they sound, because i'm in need of some new speakers. Or maybe you can direct me to a detailed review of some sort. Plz and thanx.

phrozen_lad
04-26-2007, 12:44 PM
im not sure how big spl dynamics are in the states but i just found these cheap here in the uk http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dynamics-sd81-p-5519.html?cadid=a480d6c3d16af2df83e3458a7ebf60de

anyone used them? look alright,decent sensitivity,play 45-5000hz, and only 59.99 for a pair!!

djdilliodon
04-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Can you build a sealed pod or does the driver need to perform well IB ?

bass_lover1
04-26-2007, 05:04 PM
thanks for the replies guys :)

in the front doors im going to dynamat the outter skin then sludge,seal the whole door up with dynamat then sludge ontop of that. Hopefully that will bring out maximum midbass- just wondering if that will be enough to keep up with 2 ported subs?

the DD mids look tasty but in the uk we have to go through some dd africa website and its just too complicated!! how much are they in the states? are they just small subs or specificially designed mids? Also was looking at the old XXX mids, theres a 2nd hand set going for 180 (~$360) which look interesting?

thanks a lot guys :)

phrozen

Your door plans sound good, one other step I suggest is buying some closed cell foam, and lining both your inner and outer door skins with it. The foam is used to absorb road noise, and supposedly helps reduce standing waves.

I did something similar to you, but I have two layers of raammat on the outer skin, then a layer of closed cell foam, and one layer of raammat on the inner door skin, the doors are solid as a rock right now, I can almost get away with out a sub, I say almost, while the mids play great down to 50hz there's that whole bottom end that I'm missing, and a single 12 will fill that void :).

I'm not sure about the DD mids, I don't know much about them other than they look beefy however, from what I've heard the old XXX mids are pretty much sealed only drivers, and you'll probably end up disappointed if you run them IB in your doors.

phrozen_lad
04-27-2007, 07:19 AM
whoa, loadsa good info there bass_lover1 -thanks :) i'll have a look at the close celled foam,do you just stick it to the doors? turns out i can only fit 63mm deep drivers in the rear because the seat belt anchors cross behind it :( may just have to go for heavily sound deadened panels and 6.5" drivers after all

bass_lover1
04-27-2007, 11:23 AM
whoa, loadsa good info there bass_lover1 -thanks :) i'll have a look at the close celled foam,do you just stick it to the doors? turns out i can only fit 63mm deep drivers in the rear because the seat belt anchors cross behind it :( may just have to go for heavily sound deadened panels and 6.5" drivers after all

Yes, buy some spray adhesive and you can either put it directly behind the speaker to help cancel out some standing waves, or do like I did and put it over the entire door because it will help absorb road noise as well.

As for your depth issue, I strongly suggest that you make some MDF spacers so you can get more depth than what you're given right now. In my case, my 7" mids are rather deep, and I required 1.25" MDF spacers to get it to clear my window regulator. Also even if depth wasn't an issue I still recommend MDF spacers so that your speaker isn't anchored directly to your metal door panel, which is a LARGE reason for panel resonation, the MDF will slightly relieve that, and the sound deadening should kill pretty much the rest of it.

Drunkship
04-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Also, since you plan on deadening the doors, you could try some products like Second Skin Speaker Pads. They go behind the speakers on top of the deadener. It's supposed to stop/reduce backwaves and increase midbass...

bass_lover1
04-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Also, since you plan on deadening the doors, you could try some products like Second Skin Speaker Pads. They go behind the speakers on top of the deadener. It's supposed to stop/reduce backwaves and increase midbass...

Right, and it's also the theory behind the closed cell foam. Which is better? Honestly I don't know if either is "better" but I can say that the CCF works very well, and I've heard from others that the pads work as well. I'd still go for the foam though, because not only can you use it behind the speaker, you can also use it basically in any other place you deaden, to help further reduce road noise.

Gary S
04-30-2007, 01:14 AM
Since you need a component speaker set anyway, you could always try a set of components that have a lot of midbass and see what you can get out of them before you start adding separate monster midbass speakers... Check out the new Orion HCCA 6.2 ... neo magnet, vented spider, long throw... set the high pass lower than the standard 80hz, around 60hz, and see what you get. Price is nice also... I think I have seen them priced at $160 on the net.

phrozen_lad
04-30-2007, 10:05 PM
thanks again guys :) all useful info :D Gary,whats the SQ of the orions like? ive eyed up some taste hertz mille comps which ive fallen in love with lol

Gary S
05-01-2007, 05:23 AM
thanks again guys :) all useful info :D Gary,whats the SQ of the orions like? ive eyed up some taste hertz mille comps which ive fallen in love with lol

- Let me put it to you this way... if you find something with the overall sound quality and added midbass in that size at a better price, let me know... I want to try a set. Similar to the old Orion P6.2 but instead of a metal tweeter, they have a high quality softdome tweeter that has a similar sound to ADS, MTX TXC, and Precision Power tweeters. Very good crossover with above average off-axis dispersion.

I used to buy and recommend higher priced speakers, like the Focal K2 series, but from my experience in the audio business, I knew it was possible for manufacturers to build and sell speakers that sound comparable at half the price... A lot of popular companies' speakers are overpriced in my opinion... I've compiled a short list of best bang for the buck speakers now, and some of those include the top offerings from Kicker, DB Drive, MTX, ADS, PPI, Orion, Cerwin Vega, and Crossfire.

phrozen_lad
05-07-2007, 01:26 AM
cheers gary :) i'll have a look at the orions and where i can get them from here :D