PDA

View Full Version : Hertz HSK 163 or Rainbow Germs?

PatFitz9
04-25-2007, 12:07 PM
I have narrowed it down to these two component sets, and I canít choose. My biggest problem is there are no dealers/anyone I know with these brands (so Iím only relying on their rep). I have listened to a lot of the higher end sets around me, and I have been disappointed so far. I am looking for good sound accuracy, but detailed with different types of music. Harsh highs are a no-no. I listen to a wide variety of music with classic rock, hippie music, and hip-hop being the top three.

I have stock 3-way comps in front, and I want to stick to the stock locations. So the germs, the 6.5 would be sitting fairly low and back in the door. I think the Hertz would be better for my set-up, since it's a 3-way, and itís slightly cheaper. What do you guys think?

skibumdc
04-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Have you deadened the doors of the vehicle?
Using MDF mounts for the speakers or stock plastic?

If you are going to a GOOD speaker, you want to make sure you do everything to plan for great sound, not just expect a speaker to fix it.

3.5Max6spd
04-25-2007, 12:59 PM
The quasi active control the Germs offer in independent xover points for bth mid and tweet will solve any phasing relationship concerns you may have with the drivers being apart. I can certainly say this set is NOT harsh, and I prefer the tonal accuracy of the metal cone driver in both midrange and attack and decay of the kick.

PatFitz9
04-25-2007, 01:49 PM
I plan on deadening, and using mounting rings. but i am not going much farther than that. everything is staying in stock locations.

has anyone heard the Hertz and Germs? I know the germs are more popular on here, but maybe someone has.

Beerdrnkr
04-25-2007, 03:08 PM
I heard some hertz speakers a few month ago, I'm not sure of the model but I prefer my Germs over the one's I heard. Best purchase I ever made and I'm only running them off of a power acoustik amp and my doors aren't even deadened yet.

PatFitz9
04-25-2007, 07:02 PM
yeah, i'm getting the Germs. just worried about the 6.5 firing pretty much right at my ***. hopefully it still sounds good.

PatFitz9
04-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Just bought a set of Germs and Dreamline KX 165 for the rear :woot:

BlackMaxima
04-25-2007, 11:11 PM
your going to love it.
congrats.

whan you install the germ can you put some pix and give us a review??

WhoSayWho?
04-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Have you deadened the doors of the vehicle?
Using MDF mounts for the speakers or stock plastic?

If you are going to a GOOD speaker, you want to make sure you do everything to plan for great sound, not just expect a speaker to fix it.

Wow, is this a stock repsonse of yours to any audio question? What you say tis true but out of the blue.

And Pat, I might add the following: Make sure you change the oil in this vehicle every 3k miles. If you are going to spring for a GOOD speaker you want to make certain that your car is operating properly.

robob2
04-26-2007, 01:05 PM
I have narrowed it down to these two component sets, and I canít choose. My biggest problem is there are no dealers/anyone I know with these brands (so Iím only relying on their rep). I have listened to a lot of the higher end sets around me, and I have been disappointed so far. I am looking for good sound accuracy, but detailed with different types of music. Harsh highs are a no-no. I listen to a wide variety of music with classic rock, hippie music, and hip-hop being the top three.

I have stock 3-way comps in front, and I want to stick to the stock locations. So the germs, the 6.5 would be sitting fairly low and back in the door. I think the Hertz would be better for my set-up, since it's a 3-way, and itís slightly cheaper. What do you guys think?

Do you know of an online retailer for the Hertz?

skibumdc
04-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Hold on now, I didn't mean it like that.
What I am saying is that sometimes people expect that simply by changing speakers the difference will be a night and day improvement.

While sometimes it can, it can also be very disappointing when you go to a really nice set and don't get what you expect.

Car speakers are very different from home environment b/c 90+%? of home speakers are pre-built in boxes designed and manufactured by the manufacturer.

Car speakers are simply shipped to you and you install. In most cases they are installed in a not so optimal environment to truly give you what the speaker is capable of.

I myself have a project this weekend to deaden the doors and secure the Polk's I have. I need to see what mid muddiness I can solve in my 3/4 a$$ed install I did when I first bought the car.

If I'm not happy, THEN I can upgrade the speaker and already have the optimal environment in place.

PatFitz9
04-26-2007, 02:06 PM
I will for sure write a review when i get them installed. and thanks to 3.5Max6Spd for the Rainbows :) great guy to do business with (so far)

and i have to change my oil every 5k miles, so ha!