PDA

View Full Version : cotton type material backing on vinyl?

PolishDude
04-24-2007, 04:47 PM
The vinyl I saw at the fabric store has this type of cotton material white backing on it. Should this be pulled off when doing vinyl on a box? I would think it would make the vinyl more stretchy, especially with heat.

htownplaya456
04-24-2007, 04:51 PM
No you leave it on. There are many types of vinyl. The stuff with more cotton stuff on the back is the nicer stuff and a lot easier to work with. I would try not to use too much heat on that stuff might make a bad looking spot on the vinyl. If you have to use heat put it on the back side of the vinyl and feel the front with the back of your hand when it starts to get a little warm that's all you will need. Then you work with it.

PolishDude
04-24-2007, 05:19 PM
okay just making sure, do you think this is worth the extra cost?

http://www.yourautotrim.com/al4stvi.html
its suppose to be 4 way stretchable, or extremely stretchable or something of that nature, but its also 20 bucks a yard

j3bus2k3
04-24-2007, 05:21 PM
The EASIEST thing to use is a vinyl laminate...

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=135&SO=2

Essentially peel and stick.

PolishDude
04-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I am using the vinyl to match my interior, i dont think the laminate will match

actually the textured black looks like it would match, but not sure how well it would take to curves of a fiberglass enclosure??

W8 a minute
04-24-2007, 05:40 PM
I prefer my vinyl with no backing at all. It makes for a tighter, cleaner fit around 90 degree corners and such. Also better for embossing. That cotton batting doesn't stretch evenly under the vinyl and you end up with a wavy mess. Just my 2 cents.

The vinyl with the cotton batting is good for covering up crappy fiberglass work though. Hides a lot of the imperfections.

h17250x
04-25-2007, 10:55 AM
there are alot of different kinds of vinyl that stretch in alot of different ways.
take a sample of the vinyl and see which way has the most stretch to it so you will know which way to orient it when you put it on to go around curves and edges to get the best fit.
and leave the backing on it