PDA

View Full Version : Doubling Panels

hempy
04-23-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm planning a completely doubled up 3/4 enclosure and I'm wondering the best way to go about this. My plan sofar is just to double up my panels then build as if I'm usinf 1.5" mdf. I imagine a stonger but more complicated method would be to "step" the panels, but I imagine I would be facing a lot more chances for error, since I would have to glue panels together with an even 3/4 space on each side. For anyone who has done more than just a doubled baffle, how did you build? And will my method suffice? I imagine as long as it's built well, it'll still be stong as ****.

I don't think my back is going to like this one.

THUMPPER
04-23-2007, 04:05 PM
I double up the pannels when ever it's possible
I cut all the outside pannels at a 45* angle
and I leave the inner pannels a square 90*..

it gives a rock solid joint

hempy
04-23-2007, 04:54 PM
How do you assemble? Do you glue together outer and inner panels then assemble the box or do you assemble the inner pieces first and then the outer?

THUMPPER
04-23-2007, 07:59 PM
use my link and go to my forum...
I have some build threads in there.........

Immacomputer
04-23-2007, 08:00 PM
I would glue the panels together before joining other panels. It would be just like working with 1.5" wood instead of 3/4".

spoonraker
04-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Glue the wood together before you even cut it, then you really will be working with 1.5'' MDF from the start. Just go easy on the screws and make sure you don't saw into one :)

Trixter
04-24-2007, 08:07 AM
i have only done one box like this and i built the box using 3/4 and then took new measurements and cut new pieces for the second layer...using the "step" thingy you mentioned....

45deg on the corners?...nice touch.