PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer AVIC-Z2

donpisto
04-22-2007, 05:54 PM
I've done quite a bit of research on this unit, seems like something I would want. But I was curious about the EQ on it and the 2.2V preouts.

I used to have an Eclipse 8443 and now I got an Eclipse AV8132. I'm very impressed with the EQ and the tweaking it allows. What is the EQ on the AVIC-Z2 like? Will I noticed the difference between 2.2V preouts and 5V preouts?

lrgnation
04-22-2007, 06:38 PM
well if you are not satisfied with what it has with it, pioneer makes an external processor for it I do believe.

that is all i know about it.

bikinpunk
04-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Don't worry about the 2.2volt pre-outs...that's what the gain on the amp is for.

As for the EQ, I have no idea of the comparison. However, the Pioneer's capabilities seem kind of limited. I'd x2 on a processor.

donpisto
04-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Hmm, i was hoping to have something that won't require any additional items to be installed. I'll check into though. I was considering Eclipse though the price is a bit more on their AVN5495. Does Eclipse have an '06 model of their HDD navigation?

Basically I'm looking for something that has HDD navigation (instead of DVD), allows me to tweak the audio quite a bit, and has great navigation. Though I'm wondering, is there a huge difference in the lag from DVD navigation to HDD navigation? Would I be able to play songs and possibly movies while navigation is on for DVD navigation? I would like a double din to try somethin new but I can settle for a single din. Other options on the top of my head with HDD navigation are the Eclipe AVN7000 and Kenwood DNX7100, though I don't know the EQ capabilities of this unit.

saj21187
04-22-2007, 11:11 PM
I had an eclipse avn6600 and now have the 6610 and both units have been great. I thought about going with something with a harddrive, but I have an ipod so all my music is on that. Both of these units have dual slots, so you can have the nav in and be listening to cds or watching dvds. I noticed considerable lag in the avic z1, not sure about the z2 though. Also the pioneers are a bit more pain in the *** to bypass than the eclipses so you can have full function of the dvd/nav when moving.

smd4life
04-22-2007, 11:14 PM
the preout voltage doesn't matter all that much....a walkman can drive an amp to clipping

donpisto
04-23-2007, 12:47 AM
I had an eclipse avn6600 and now have the 6610 and both units have been great. I thought about going with something with a harddrive, but I have an ipod so all my music is on that. Both of these units have dual slots, so you can have the nav in and be listening to cds or watching dvds. I noticed considerable lag in the avic z1, not sure about the z2 though. Also the pioneers are a bit more pain in the *** to bypass than the eclipses so you can have full function of the dvd/nav when moving.

Is there much of a delay for the navigation on the 6610? My mom has a stock navi on her car and she said its a 30 second startup time, which to me isnt a big deal, its during the travel that makes a difference to me. Also, is bypassing as simple as ground the parking wire? Thats how it is on my AV8132 and just curious if it hasn't changed.

senbonzakera
04-23-2007, 05:06 AM
the preout voltage doesn't matter all that much....a walkman can drive an amp to clipping
wow i thought with a stronger voltage the cleaner the signal.. sorry im a noob :blackeye:

saj21187
04-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Is there much of a delay for the navigation on the 6610? My mom has a stock navi on her car and she said its a 30 second startup time, which to me isnt a big deal, its during the travel that makes a difference to me. Also, is bypassing as simple as ground the parking wire? Thats how it is on my AV8132 and just curious if it hasn't changed.

Nope niether have any delay as far as the navigation goes. Start up time is about 5 seconds, the eclipse logo comes up and your ready to go. And yes the parking wire can be grounded out for full function.

donpisto
04-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Nope niether have any delay as far as the navigation goes. Start up time is about 5 seconds, the eclipse logo comes up and your ready to go. And yes the parking wire can be grounded out for full function.

Hmm, nice. I think I'll probably be going with the Eclipse. Even if I dont get the AVN7000 or AVN5494 I'll look into the 6610. What is the difference between the 6610 and 5510?

With the unit you have, how good is the navigation on it? Is it accurate? Ever had any problems?

I just noticed noticed that the AVN7000 has approx 4 million POI's, the 5495 approx 3 million POI's, while the 6610 and 5510 have approx 8.5 million POI's. Is there a reason why there is such a huge difference and will it make an actual difference?

SRim23
04-23-2007, 07:47 PM

my pioneer avic n1 has to have soldering done to the circuit board in order to bypass with the new software. check out avic411.com for any info about bypassing all the avic units.

saj21187
04-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Hmm, nice. I think I'll probably be going with the Eclipse. Even if I dont get the AVN7000 or AVN5494 I'll look into the 6610. What is the difference between the 6610 and 5510?

With the unit you have, how good is the navigation on it? Is it accurate? Ever had any problems?

I just noticed noticed that the AVN7000 has approx 4 million POI's, the 5495 approx 3 million POI's, while the 6610 and 5510 have approx 8.5 million POI's. Is there a reason why there is such a huge difference and will it make an actual difference?

Yes the nav is very accurate. Obviously recent buildings and roads wont be there but other than that it has never messed me up. I think you can get the updated software for teh 7000 and the 5495 to get more pois. The only thing i wish my 6610 had that the 7000 and 5495 has is search by poi category. I would like to look for certain poi in a certain area rather than have to do it by name. But the double din 7" screen makes up for that small imperfection in my opinion.

saj21187
04-24-2007, 05:37 PM
my pioneer avic n1 has to have soldering done to the circuit board in order to bypass with the new software. check out avic411.com for any info about bypassing all the avic units.

Only bad part here is i highly doubt pioneer will still honor the warranty on the unit.

SRim23
04-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Only bad part here is i highly doubt pioneer will still honor the warranty on the unit.

oh im sure they dont....in fact to get to it you have to break the warranty seal on the casing so def not. with the original software for the n1 you can get away with just grounding the parking break but if you do any updates you will be screwed.

saj21187
04-24-2007, 10:51 PM
oh im sure they dont....in fact to get to it you have to break the warranty seal on the casing so def not. with the original software for the n1 you can get away with just grounding the parking break but if you do any updates you will be screwed.

Yea that is what i figured. Back when I was debating on the z1 and the 6600 I had all my cc info filled out and ready to buy a z1, there were just a few things I couldnt look past on the z1 and the bypassing was a big one. Im glad I went with eclipse, and im even happier now that i have the 6610. But both are great units, and i cant imagine anyone would be very dissapointed with either.