PDA

View Full Version : Split Wood

TRAVIESO
02-09-2003, 03:17 PM
wHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY MDF SPILTS?
DO I NEED TO CUT ANOTHER PIECE?

ChefJoe
02-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Umm, yeah, you want MDF for the strength, so having it split reduces that. I'm assuming it's more than just a crack at a screw hole. You might be able to re-enforce with another piece of MDF, but once you do that, you might as well just cut another panel.

ss3079
02-09-2003, 10:30 PM
To prevent splitting - pre-drill your holes!

- Steve

Savant
02-09-2003, 10:59 PM
I had 2 spots (one on each of my 10"s boxes, go figure) that split while putting in the screws.. I just took a 2x2 piece and put it inside at the corner and put 2 screws into the support.. pulled the split tight.. (oh, and have liquid nails on the 2x2 as well)..

But, yeah.. if you split it bad you might want to cut a new piece..

evo2k3
02-10-2003, 01:32 AM
as soon as I split on i remove the screw, poor some wood glue in there, clamp it and let it dry -- that will pretty much fix it, but you have to do it before the glue you used on the seem drys or you will never get it clamped down properly -- if this happens more than once on a peice, recut the peice, this is a fix for when it happens ever now and then, even if you pre drill, i usually end up spliting it once per box--thats just my luck.

ss3079
02-10-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by evo2k3
as soon as I split on i remove the screw, poor some wood glue in there, clamp it and let it dry -- that will pretty much fix it, but you have to do it before the glue you used on the seem drys or you will never get it clamped down properly -- if this happens more than once on a peice, recut the peice, this is a fix for when it happens ever now and then, even if you pre drill, i usually end up spliting it once per box--thats just my luck.

Yeah, you can just pour some wood glue in there. Try putting the glue in there, and then putting some tooth picks in the hole. . . then just cut off the excess after the glue has cured. Still clamp the piece, though. If you put lots of tooth picks in the hole(or a MDF plug...), the tooth picks(or plug) will expand because of the glue...filling all gaps...then you have something to screw the new screw into:) Just a woodworkers tip:p

- Steve:)

BigBoomer
02-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by ss3079
...then you have something to screw the new screw into:) Just a woodworkers tip:p

- Steve:)

Don't get too excited...:p :p

ss3079
02-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by BigBoomer
Don't get too excited...:p :p

Dont worry;)

- Steve

pjvoc
01-21-2007, 04:57 AM
predrilling doesnt always garuntee a non split board...

Belunt
01-21-2007, 08:47 AM
If predrilled properly and the correct screws used, then no splitting should occur. Predrilling is a must in all woods especially MDF, this is why I still prefer particle board/birch; holds screws much better. And I second Evo2k3 on glueing/clamping if you do get a split.

ss3079
01-21-2007, 11:16 AM

This is a four year old thread ... which has been dead for four years.