PDA

View Full Version : 15'' Fi Q in a trunk, opinions needed.

spoonraker
04-19-2007, 07:01 PM
The car is a 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

The trunk is about 17'' high and about 32'' wide, it widens a bit at the back, but those are the measurements of where the sub box would go. There is also plenty of depth.

Originally I was planning on just building a typical looking rectangular box, sub and port firing back, but I was starting to think it would be fun to seal off the trunk, and fire the sub and port into the cabin. Both seats (60/40 split) fold completely down flat. The trunk isn't completely open to the cabin, there is a metal trim thing that goes around the trunk opening for the seats to rest against when they aren't folded, so the actual opening isn't exactly 17''x30''

What do you think would be a good way to do this trunk? Since the opening into the cabin isn't actually big enough to mount the woofer directly to, I'd either have to remove the back seats, or make them unusable, which I really don't want to do, or seal off the trunk farther back, no more than a couple inches.

Does anybody have some links to good sealed trunk installs? Tips/tricks appreciated.

Blove1991
04-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Aim it towards the back.....

Or cut that metal bracing out for the seats and pull the box up into that spot and put some wooden bracing on front of box if the seat sits ne different and make sure seat isnt on the moofer unless u keep the seats down........

But my personal opinion would be deaden the crap out of the car put ur seats up and aim it towards back

spoonraker
04-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Why would you say aim it towards the back? I had a 12'' audiobahn before, fired toward the back, it sounded alright, and when I folded the seats down it got a ton louder, that is why I figured I could only get louder by firing it foward with the seats down, especially with the new 15'' Fi.

And the brace for the seats is a separate piece, completely removable, I didn't think about just taking it out and making my own wooden braces that wouldn't interfere with the woofer. That, and a ton of fiberglass may just be the way to go. I wouldn't bother making the seats latch when they are up, because if nobody was sitting in them, they'd be folded down anyway. The seat backs are at an angle also, so there is plenty of room for the sub to move, even if both seats were up if I sealed the trunk behind the seats.

Also, I have 80 square feet of Damplifier that is going in, regardless of how I put this thing in.

I'll post some pics when I get off work tonight, maybe it'll help with some ideas.

PowerNaudio
04-19-2007, 11:12 PM
here is a paper on why is better to aim the subwoofer toward the rear of the vehicle. there are two parts to it. very good info. "link click me" (http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html)

spoonraker
04-20-2007, 12:15 AM
That page is talking about what direction you should face a box, I was talking about completely sealing off the trunk so there would be no waves bouncing off the trunk anywhere. I agree with that article, although it didn't pertain to my original plan, it does now, since I just took a look at my trunk and realized that the back seat support can be removed, but I'd still have to cut a ton of sheet metal to make it work so I'm just going to build a regular box and face it to the back of my trunk. I'll leave at least a few inches to the side of the box so I can fold the seats down and get more airflow.