PDA

View Full Version : What to use to seal ported box?

c_hayhurst
04-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Despite my best efforts, I have many gaps in my new ported enclosure. What is best to seal the gaps in the edges?

I'm going to just run the speaker wires out of the port and not use a terminal cup.

Think I used enough screws? I screwed them all in by hand, btw. My forearms are really sore!

twisztdauthorit
04-18-2007, 11:52 PM
did you use any wood glue at all?

htownplaya456
04-18-2007, 11:54 PM
^^x2

c_hayhurst
04-18-2007, 11:54 PM
One more pic...

htownplaya456
04-18-2007, 11:55 PM
woah sorry about that... my internet is going crazy

Immacomputer
04-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Way too many screws. Like others have said, it doesn't look like you used any wood glue.

What you need to do is go buy a cheap *** drill from harbor freight for about $10 or less. Then go buy some wood glue from Home Depot or Lowes. Take the enclosure apart with the drill and then glue the enclosure together using only as many screws as it takes per panel to hold the wood together while the glue dries. Once it has dried, use some silicone on the inside edges. You do not need to silicone the port though.

htownplaya456
04-19-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm still waiting to see if wood glue was used......

Fast1one
04-19-2007, 12:31 AM
Ouch, no glue FTL

twisztdauthorit
04-19-2007, 12:39 AM
here ill type it out so no one else has to...

glue holds the box together... not the screws
screws are to keep it tight while drying

helotaxi
04-19-2007, 01:03 AM
You can still apply glue to the box at this point. It will seep into the joints and seal them up. The screws will keep it together and the glue will make it stronger.

c_hayhurst
04-19-2007, 07:42 AM
Nope, no wood glue.

Guess I'll have to go out and get some. Some silicone, too, I guess.

I'll look for a cheap-o electric drill/screwdriver, too. The cheapest one at Lowe's was $30 and I can't justify blowing money on something I'll use once, maybe twice.

thehardknoxlife
04-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Nope, no wood glue.

Guess I'll have to go out and get some. Some silicone, too, I guess.

I'll look for a cheap-o electric drill/screwdriver, too. The cheapest one at Lowe's was $30 and I can't justify blowing money on something I'll use once, maybe twice.
Pawn shop $5 :naughty:

helotaxi
04-19-2007, 10:58 AM
You can fully seal the box with wood glue. Never used silicone and never will. Totally unneeded.

PatFitz9
04-19-2007, 05:48 PM
you can drill a hole for the wires and them silicone that up. easier than running them through the port.

twisztdauthorit
04-19-2007, 06:41 PM
can i ask how you went along building box and all without even knowing that you had to use wood glue?

and electric screw drivers always come in use...(around here at least)

htownplaya456
04-19-2007, 06:45 PM
what did you cut the wood with?? doesn't look to straight... those gaps you need to fill in are where the wood should be that you cut off cuz you didn't use a table saw

jaco
04-19-2007, 06:46 PM
man no cordless drill are you crazy that'll be your best friend.
take it apart and wood glue it or since it has gaps use some liquid nails.

Blove1991
04-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Well geuss Ill go out on the limb and say you done a pretty decent job for your first box......It isnt THAT bad....Remeber practice makes perfect

Lakota
04-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Buy some wood filler to fill in the external gaps, then sand over once it has hardened.

c_hayhurst
04-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Regarding the cuts: They were done at Lowe's on that stading saw thingy, but they didn't come out quite right anyway. I even measured the cuts twice before and once after myself, and the employee measured each cut at least once himself. No adjustments were needed at the cutting.

Yet they still didn't turn out right. Dangit!

I rented an electric screwdriver from Home Depot. Best 12 bucks I ever spent! What took me 3 hours by hand took 30 minutes with the electric screwdriver.

The glue has been curing since last night and I want to go over any other gaps with some sort of sealant. I just *know* some of the gaps were not filled in.

3 or 4 screws started to poke their tips out of the side of the box (off-center guide hole drilled). Should I leave them alone or should I pull them out, re-drill the dguide hole and re-screw in? Is it okay to do it in the same spot?

Regarding why I didn't use wood glue this time: I didn't on the first box I built and it turned out fine (this is my second box). I did, however, use caulk, which I haven't used this time. Yet...

This is just a live and learn experience. I make stupid mistakes now so I don't make them later.

I'll let you know hwo the box turns out!

helotaxi
04-20-2007, 01:04 PM
Once the glue has cured, you can just remove the screws that are poking out altogether. You can also just run a bead of glue over the joints to seal them.