PDA

View Full Version : New car, new speaker problem

tigerf117
04-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Im getting a rebuilt 88 supra targa 7m-gte next week and the first thing I'm gong to do is upgrade the system. Right now I have a deh-p6800 (06model) HU, and a set of JBL Power P652 for now. The stock speakers sizes are 4" and 5" rear (5 1/4 fit in there tho). I'd prefer to use these JBLs for a little while longer as my rear fill, however there are only 4" fronts. Im not experienced, nor do I have the money, to build custom kickpanels. Basically I'm dead set on getting the PRS, from everything I read im looking at a $200-250 component set that will blow everyone I know's system out of the water. I saw some Mb Quart 4" components for $150ish on sonic electronics, and I could put the 6 1/2 PRS in the rear, but I know how you guys are about staging and rear fill.
Im just not sure what to do basically. Im on a little bit on a limited budget as far as these speakers go. My other idea was get those MB quart 4" comp, get some 5 1/4 midbass drivers for the rear doors, and have the PRS mounted in the rear (all amped) so those 5 1/4s could fill in a little more mid where the 4" would lack. Im open to suggestions, but mainly I just want to buy those PRS (by the way I have up to 140w rms that would be able to run to each PRS). Or possibly get the 5 1/4 PRS for the rear doors? I want a system loud enough to honk my horn and not hear it. I listen to mostly rock/metal (Tool, Primus, NIN, Chimaira, Pantera, slipknot) with some classical, jam bands (mainly Keller williams) and different world music. Also, I'm not exactly sure about the midbass driver as far as setting it up, would I need a seperate 2ch to driver them, and what about RCAs and crossovers, sorry for the noobness question, and the book I wrote. Im prob getting a 10w7 and this MB Quart amp that'll push around 400-500RMS to the 10".

DejaWiz
04-18-2007, 03:10 PM
I'll keep this short, sweet, and to the point:

Do whatever it is you can to fit 6.5s up front.... even if you have to cut up the door panels and use speaker grilles to hide your handywork.

Ditch the rears.

This will be the route with the best payoff for you.

CaliforniabOY5
04-18-2007, 03:40 PM
reading that is fatigeing, but I agree with DejaWiz, 6.5" is optimal.

tip: break things up in paragraphs next time, much easier to read that way.

tigerf117
04-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Sorry about lack of paragraphs. I actually had it into 3 paragraphs, but when i revised it for clarification it had taken some of the editing out and just forgot to reparagraph it.

DejaWiz
04-18-2007, 04:41 PM
No worries... we'll live.

tigerf117
04-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Last question, do you think it would be a waste of money to buy these used MMC525 for the rear fill and sell my 61/2 JBL Power P652 or leave'em in the car im selling? Possibly get better rear fill, or with the PRS up front, should I not worry about the rears as much and just get the momos?

DejaWiz
04-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Just go with the PRS up front and keep the sub in the back. Don't waste your time and ruin your soundstage with rears.

(this is my subjective opinion and preference, so take it with a grain of salt)

tigerf117
04-18-2007, 05:38 PM
I was actually replacing my 4800mp for a 6800mp but now looking at the difference of those vs the premier, im thinking of going with the 590ib (4v preouts vs. 2.2, lots more audio features etc). Do you think I should get the 590ib, or possibly save up and keep my 4800 till I can get the 780-980 models, will it really make that big of a difference (2-3x the cost)? Prob should post this in the HU section huH?

DejaWiz
04-18-2007, 05:44 PM
ah, we can answer ya here. depends on what kind of features and control you want out of the HU.

The 690UB has USB+iPod cables, 4V preouts, and a 7 band EQ ($220 millionbuy.com)
The 780MP and 980BT both have 16 band EQs, 5V preouts, but no USB. ($300+)

Depends on your budget and what features you want.

tigerf117
04-18-2007, 05:58 PM
USB etc I dont give a rats *** about. I care about SQ features mainly. I either stick with my 4800mp (which im really sick of) and save up for the 780/980, OR buy the 580ib right now with a 7band eq, 4v preouts for $180shipped (give or take). Am I really going to miss the extra sound options on the 780 down the road and regret getting the 580ib like I did with the 4800 (my deck was stolen and so I got what I could afford)? Do you recommend the RCA voltage amplifiers? You can adjust them up to 10v (which I don't believe most amps can ever accept)

DejaWiz
04-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I think we've all been through it in one form or another in the past. Buncha low-life theiving pricks out there...
Anyway...

Personally, I'd save up and get the 780MP just for the better EQ. But on the other hand, I'm torn because the native USB feature of the 690 totally rocks....just plug in a 2 or 4GB USB thumb drive full of MP3's and go cruisin'.

And no, you certainly shouldn't need an RCA line driver since the aforementioned HU has 5V preouts to begin with.

tigerf117
04-18-2007, 06:28 PM
MP3s = yuck! I hate mp3's other than for ****** speakers/headphones. Even my $180 earbuds I can hear the difference between mp3's and full cd quality. Or I could go with a carputer. I fix/build computers for a living, and Ive built people HTPCs a few times as well. I have a lot more knowledge in that subject, but I'm not sure if its worth the time/money. Computers are my passion, followed closely by music, and I can't stand compressed (or badly compressed) audio files with nice sound equipment. Plus, this may sound kind of weird, but more than 50% of my music I bought at a store/online (not itunes ****, the actual cd).

tigerf117
04-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Oh, also, I talked to the guy with the 6800mp (7bandeq, but 2.2v preouts) and I can get that for $150 openbox at circuit city. thumbs up or down? I could get a line driver, they aren't that expensive.

tigerf117
04-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks a LOT for all the input, it is much appreciated, you have been very kind and helpful.

DejaWiz
04-18-2007, 06:42 PM
MP3's generally don't bother me since all mine are converted right from my cd's to unvariable 320kbps. but you are right, the is an audible difference when running them through good equipment... typical problems like bass loss and very very faint treble hiss.

Seems we share some common interests.... I fix/build computers for a living too. Well I used to since I've been promoted up the ranks a bit (and gladly or I wouldn't have met the woman I married). Still do it as a hobby though.

As far as the 6800MP, if you feel it's a good deal in your gut, go for it. It's a decent HU. I'd be saving up for the 780, but now we're talking a minimum of double the price.