PDA

View Full Version : In theory which setup would go lower/be louder?

PolishDude
04-18-2007, 09:25 AM
I think this has to do with boxes more so then with subwoofers themselves. What would sound louder and go lower?

500 watts rms going to a single 10 in a small ported box (.75) tuned to 30-35 hz
500 watts rms split between two 10s in a sealed box (.8)

I know there are a lot of factors, but just general rule of thumb here, lets say they are the same sub to make things even easier.

Which one will go lower?
Which one will be louder?

jmanpc
04-18-2007, 09:26 AM
I'd say the pair

helotaxi
04-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Depends on the sub. The ported box could be tuned higher than optimal and thus exhibit a response peak just above tuning. If that peak is 3dB or more it will be louder. As far as lower, again it depends. The ported enclosure will be louder in the range between the -3dB point of the sealed enclosure and down into the sub tuning range.

Point being that when talking ported and sealed, all other things are never equal. How do you measure the difference in apples and oranges? Grapes?

60ndown
04-18-2007, 10:26 AM
which performs better,

500 horse power motor pushing 1 car
500 horse power pushing 2 cars?

not exactly the same and sure there is the 3db gai from cone area, but im a

'single sub' set up fan.

helotaxi
04-18-2007, 11:01 AM
which performs better,

500 horse power motor pushing 1 car
500 horse power pushing 2 cars?

not exactly the same and sure there is the 3db gai from cone area, but im a

'single sub' set up fan.

Nope not nearly the same and how much do the cars weigh? I mean 2 Lotus Elises vs a H1, my money is on the Elises since they still weigh a lot less.

Anyway, there is the 3 dB gain from the cone area and the fact that each sub will be moving less and thus producing less distortion. Also factor in the reduced power compression from dividing the power across more heat sinking area, etc... The twin sub setup has some advantages in the upper bass region. Start getting into the lower bass and the advantage will shift (how much depends on the sub(s) and what they like enclosure wise).

PolishDude
04-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Depends on the sub. The ported box could be tuned higher than optimal and thus exhibit a response peak just above tuning. If that peak is 3dB or more it will be louder. As far as lower, again it depends. The ported enclosure will be louder in the range between the -3dB point of the sealed enclosure and down into the sub tuning range.

Point being that when talking ported and sealed, all other things are never equal. How do you measure the difference in apples and oranges? Grapes?

Yeah I know there are a ton of variables, thats why I was hoping there was just a general rule of thumb. In all honesty its not even truly a ported enclosure, but a 10 and the 10 inch passive radiator I had in my other thread (on the same side this time).

Basically I am "trying" to compare the output of:

-2 Image Dynamic ID10s in a .9 sealed box

versus

-1 Boston Acoustics G510-44 and 1 Boston Acoustics GTR10 passive radiator in a .8 sealed box

I listen to 55% hip hop, 40% rock, 5% dance/techno

btw helotaxi, thanks for your help, you seem very knowledgeable

helotaxi
04-18-2007, 12:31 PM
The ID subs are very efficient. In this case I would give them the upper hand over most of the freq range.

PolishDude
04-18-2007, 01:26 PM
hmm, I have 2 that I ordered last week that should be here today, ill have to check them out after work today. So you would recommend these over the other setup for my type of listening habits? I saw some videos on realmsofexursion and it looks like the little guys can move