PDA

View Full Version : Will MB refs sound good on HU

crfracer290
04-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Would 2 sets of MB quart REC268's sound decent running off of a HU or would there be a better choice of 6x8s to run. I am planning on feeding them dedicated power in the future.

Thanks.

chucku
04-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Id say not nearly to their potential. My old reference 6.5 comps sounded rather ordinary, even off of a 45x4 watt alpine amp. Only when I bridged the amp to give 100 watts a side just to the fronts did they begin to sound good. If you plan to get an amp in the future then dont skimp on the comps now. You will be surprized when you send them enough power, trust me.

crfracer290
04-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Well what would be the minimum amp to power front and back doors with these speakers.

What would be some good coaxials to run off a HU?

Matt

chucku
04-17-2007, 08:44 PM
I didnt know they were co-ax speakers. Component speakers require more power, but co ax should do alright with deck power, but nothing beats more power. I would say send the recommended power stated on the speakers to them.

jmanpc
04-17-2007, 08:45 PM
They'd sound okay, but get at least a 50-75w amp.

ChedNompton
04-18-2007, 10:18 PM
One of my friends has those speakers running off head unit power, they aren't very loud (I think I just stated the obvious), and lack a lot if you ask me. Then we hooked them up to my 4 channel amp (JBL Px 300.4) and they came alive. Pretty descent mid bass, midrange was smooth, highs and mid blended together pretty well, only thing was the tweeters are a bit harsh if you ask me, but a little EQ solved the most of it, well worth the cash. But if you are just keeping head unit power, look into JBL speakers I own a pair of the GTO series at the moment and my only complaint (for the 40 bucks I spent) is the tweeters are a tad on the bright side. They sounded pretty good off head unit power, they lacked mid bass a bit though. And when I amped them (160 per speaker, 40 rms over the peak wattage, not suggested) the mid bass was a little better, other than the mid bass being more pronounced I didn't gain much. Well good luck, sorry for this long post.