PDA

View Full Version : WHeel well installation help!

TRDevelopment
02-08-2003, 10:59 AM
i need help on how to put one elemental 12 k on the wheel well. i dont know anything. pls advice. this is my last job until my system will be up and going. pls help.

evo2k3
02-08-2003, 11:54 AM
well if your weel well is big enough, you could just build an mdf box that roughly fits in there.......if not generally people line the tub with foil or plastic, fiberglass 2 or 3 coats and , pull it out, glass an mdf baffle into place for the and finish the remaining layers (varries with use, ie what subs, how much power, ect.....).

MUGEN!
02-09-2003, 06:44 AM
how do you anchor those things and keep it from vibrating? so you hav to drill - ey man - just wanna say BE CAREFUL with the tank and brake line. thats all i have to say but if any of you have a better idea on how to anchor them better tell this kid here. coz you will get yourself in a whole lota trouble.

evo2k3
02-09-2003, 12:05 PM
well it ends up being the EXACT counter of the spare tire well they basicly just hold themselves in place, thats been my expeience, you could probably line the well with something thin (mabey even a sound dampener), but soft to prevent little vibrations.

nswartley
02-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by evo2k3
well it ends up being the EXACT counter of the spare tire well they basicly just hold themselves in place, thats been my expeience, you could probably line the well with something thin (mabey even a sound dampener), but soft to prevent little vibrations.

yep most people will sound dampen the entire trunk area including the wheel well before putting a sub in there....its advisable too. ;)

TRDevelopment
02-09-2003, 12:38 PM
thanks about the warning. but can i put a sub there ( wheel well ) on sealed type of enclosure. will and elemental 12K fit there? have you seen one? what types of enclosure will be appropriate on that location.
thanks again.

Savant
02-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by evo2k3

I've seen/read some spraying stuff (damping material or under-body stuff) on the surfaces where the glass box will sit.. to give it that soft barrier..

The only time I'd think you would have a movement issue is if you bounce the car pretty hard.. most times the weight of the sub and box will hold it down fine (on a flat surface, maybe not so good.. but we are talking about a form-fitted shape that can't really slide anywhere, just bounce up).. I have 4 boxes and 2 amps secured to a 1/4 underlayment board (for sub-flooring).. the underlayment is cut to 'fit' some curves so it doesn't slide front/back and goes from wall to wall so no sliding there. but, hitting a speed bump at 15 MPH sure gets the whole rig to get off the floor :( ... I just try to go slower over them now ;)

Savant
02-09-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by TRDevelopment
thanks about the warning. but can i put a sub there ( wheel well ) on sealed type of enclosure. will and elemental 12K fit there? have you seen one? what types of enclosure will be appropriate on that location.
thanks again.

What kind of car? what year? which well? spare tire hole or actuall wheel well?

If you want specifics you will have to give specifics..

MUGEN!
02-09-2003, 12:46 PM
i believe this guy is talking about a spare tire hole! im not so sure. but if its a spare tire hole then i think you'd be better to have it near the back seat coz that will be too tight you wont get the right amount of volume.
thats just my take on that. but yes you need to give out some specifics

TRDevelopment
02-09-2003, 12:49 PM
savant its a rolla 95' sedan, spare tire hole.

sorry mugen but ive seen one in there. and i think it can be done. i just need the right information on how to do it. will that be ok for a sealed sub enclosure?

MUGEN!
02-09-2003, 01:04 PM
if you are talking about sub enclosure volume try Jmac he know these stuff.

ss3079
02-09-2003, 01:24 PM
savant its a rolla 95' sedan, spare tire hole.

sorry mugen but ive seen one in there. and i think it can be done. i just need the right information on how to do it. will that be ok for a sealed sub enclosure?

Yes...you can do an enclosure in there. All you need is a baffle and some fiberglass:)

Send a PM to Ramos and he will give you specifics:)

- Steve

Savant
02-09-2003, 02:09 PM
You can head here to get some good info on the subject..

http://www.caraudioresources.net/technical.html

Hope that helps :)

TRDevelopment
02-09-2003, 05:25 PM
great help man.

SS il try to PM RAMOS about this.

SAVANt, great site man. helped alot

all gradtitude to all.

MikeofTulsa
02-09-2003, 05:38 PM
http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/fibrglas.htm

lots of info on how to fiberglass your wheel well....enjoy.....peace

ridered36
02-09-2003, 05:42 PM
i need help on how to put one elemental 12 k on the wheel well. i dont know anything. pls advice. this is my last job until my system will be up and going. pls help.

If you dont know anything, i suggest you not do this. It is extremely hard and time consuming. You will have to know how to break down irregular shapes into normal shapes and find area...which can be VERY difficult might i add. Your best bet is to just make a regular box for the sub. If you still want to use the wheel well, try to make an amp rack for it first. I have some pics of mine i can show you if you want.

ss3079
02-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by ridered36
If you dont know anything, i suggest you not do this. It is extremely hard and time consuming. You will have to know how to break down irregular shapes into normal shapes and find area...which can be VERY difficult might i add. Your best bet is to just make a regular box for the sub. If you still want to use the wheel well, try to make an amp rack for it first. I have some pics of mine i can show you if you want.

It's not very difficult at all to fiberglass a spare tire well. . .are you thinking wheel well or spare tire well?

- Steve

Savant
02-09-2003, 05:55 PM

Worst advice ever... Working with Fiberglass isn't that hard to do, depending on application.. Building a glass box in the tire well isn't very hard, considering.. To get the volume, all you have to do is calc the rough volume of where the tire would go (volume of a cylinder), then figure out how much more you need, base that on a rectangle.. that tells you how big you need the 'box' above the hole..

Given the simple shape of the enclosure (all things considered), it's an easy task..

ss3079
02-09-2003, 05:57 PM
Or you could always lay a bag in there, fill it up with water or beans, and a calculate liters. . . then convert it to cubic feet:) I've had to do that before.

- Steve

ridered36
02-09-2003, 06:01 PM
OO i was guess i dint read the post carefully and i assumed he would be using 3/4 MDF. Fiberglass is a diff. story. I was also thinking it was to go on the side of the trunk by the actually wheel well, not the spare tire well.

Sorry if i caused you any confusion nswartley:)

nswartley
02-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Sorry if i caused you any confusion nswartley:)

lol ridered, you make me laugh. im not the starter of this thread :D :furious: :laugh:

evo2k3
02-10-2003, 12:36 AM
dont even need to line it --volumes is easy, fiberglass is water proof, fill it with buckets--just as presice as messuring a cubical box volume. and working with the glass in a well is very easy and a great way to learn how to glass, if you have never done it before, mess with small amount before you try the real thing so your not going "oh sh it" when you have a gallon of resin (a good $20-25) mixed :) good luck.