PDA

View Full Version : My car is kind of broke.. accelerate much?

shynegrynd07
04-15-2007, 03:47 PM
So my car has been acting up.. When i go up hills, it struggles to make it up. When i try to floor it, the RPMs increase but the car does not move faster. It builds up speed very very very slowly. When i try to get to normal speeds it acts like it has a rev limiter at around 3000 RPM. It also feels like it toggles between gears 3 and 4 a little bit.

Oil levels are fine, i changed the air filter, there's no pull on either side, so i dont think it's the spark plugs.

It has also been leaking oil inside the engine somewhere a little bit. (white smoke coming up through hood scoop from time to time.)

anyone know what might be wrong with it? It's a 2001 Grand Prix SE btw. (3.8 L V-6)

Lunchbocks
04-15-2007, 03:58 PM
With RPM's climbing and no speed increase my first thought would be a slipping trans.

shynegrynd07
04-15-2007, 03:58 PM
would that mean i have to buy a new trans?

Lunchbocks
04-15-2007, 06:21 PM
It would be in need of a rebuild unless there is some kind of physical damage the the case itself.

Twistid
04-15-2007, 06:22 PM
mine does it too

im just ridin it out till it falls apart

then its a new car for me :)

hatemonger
04-15-2007, 06:25 PM
With RPM's climbing and no speed increase my first thought would be a slipping trans.

^^x2^^ my gf had this happen after not checking her fluid for 4 years.

btlking
04-15-2007, 06:27 PM
either trans or if its a manual then its the clutch

TIeclipseMOJO
04-15-2007, 06:27 PM
check your tranny fluid

vwrx_freak
04-15-2007, 06:30 PM
check your tranny fluid

make sure to look at the owners manual before doing this because some trans will read fine in park with engine off but some trans are supposed to be checked in neutral with engine on ect ect so make sure your followaing procedure and that its on level ground

it could also be just a torque converter if its an automatic

hatemonger
04-15-2007, 06:32 PM
make sure to look at the owners manual before doing this because some trans will read fine in park with engine off but some trans are supposed to be checked in neutral with engine on ect ect so make sure your followaing procedure and that its on level ground

it could also be just a torque converter if its an automatic

it also makes a difference if the engine is hot or cold. should say on the dipstick.

shynegrynd07
04-16-2007, 06:42 AM
alright.. so i check the tranny fluid.. but the car was warm and whatnot so i'll check it again following the book procedure.

other than that it is narrowed down to fuel pump and fuel injectors.

WantedIsHere
04-16-2007, 07:02 AM
Oil levels are fine, i changed the air filter, there's no pull on either side, so i dont think it's the spark plugs.
)

hehehe

well sounds like a tranny... in your grand prix it has a decent tranny from the factory...shouldnt be bad already but if your a crappy driver then anything can happen... any check engine light on ? scan it for codes and see if it pulls anything. if no codes pop up then i would bet your in need of a rebuild on that tranny...