PDA

View Full Version : ***Calling all Chevy Cavalier owners***

Supergumby5000
04-15-2007, 01:04 PM
I need some help wiring up some aftermarket rear speakers. There are FOUR wires per speaker in the stock speaker locations, so eight wires between the two speakers. Can i just attach the two positive and the two neg's for each speaker, or do i only use two for each and leave two alone?

also, if you happen to have some notes, which wires are positive and negative? i took a guess last night and they are wired wrong, so i gotta fix em today.

azimuth
04-15-2007, 01:09 PM
are the wires colored differently? meaning, if you can differentiate between them, you can match them up. as long as you have + to + and - to - you're good.

NhustlaR
04-15-2007, 01:09 PM
go to CC and buy speaker harnesses..... a pair is like 2 bucks or so..... it will cost about 5 bucks for all harnesses for your car and all they do is plug into your stock speaker harness.

Supergumby5000
04-15-2007, 01:36 PM
are the wires colored differently? meaning, if you can differentiate between them, you can match them up. as long as you have + to + and - to - you're good.

the wires are color coordinated, but i think i have the pos's and neg's mixed up. is there any etiquet to follow in differentiating pos and neg wire? i know some of the wires are solid, then the others have a stripe through them.

btlking
04-15-2007, 01:37 PM
i think stripe means negative

azimuth
04-15-2007, 01:38 PM
the wires are color coordinated, but i think i have the pos's and neg's mixed up. is there any etiquet to follow in differentiating pos and neg wire? i know some of the wires are solid, then the others have a stripe through them.

it doesn't matter, as long as you pick one to make negative at the speaker and the amp or head unit. the stripe is a way to tell the wire apart at both ends.

jeffs42885
04-15-2007, 01:39 PM
go to CC and buy speaker harnesses..... a pair is like 2 bucks or so..... it will cost about 5 bucks for all harnesses for your car and all they do is plug into your stock speaker harness.

im pretty sure they are 2.00 with employee discount, 9.99-12.99 per set otherwise..but they save a bit of time.

azimuth
04-15-2007, 01:39 PM
i think stripe means negative

that's what i do^^^^ i always make the stripe negative when dealing with it. you could easily make the strip positive though if you wanted.

Supergumby5000
04-15-2007, 01:42 PM
that's what i do^^^^ i always make the stripe negative when dealing with it. you could easily make the strip positive though if you wanted.

okay, i'll just double check when my bud brings his car over then i guess. I didnt want to take his headunit out because i dont have the removal keys (he got bestbuy to install it), but maybe i'll have to

NYR36
04-18-2007, 03:44 PM
go to j-body.org and fish around for like 20 min. I'm sure that you will find the answer there.

konechiwa
04-18-2007, 03:49 PM
i have a 99 cavalier and it has 2 wires to each, + and -...can't help you their.

However the deck only has a + and a - for both rear speakers (assuming it's aftermarket) so the extra 4 you don't need.

CesF2006
04-28-2007, 10:48 PM
there are two sets of wires on each speaker because one set is for highs and one is for mids, just get the pos of each set and the neg of each set, wire them together and you will have full range sound out of your aftermarket speakers