PDA

View Full Version : No Budget!! Recommendations?

Nate_100
04-15-2007, 01:11 AM
Ok so I had my installer come down to my home town to do a few installs on 2 of my vehicles. He has done some show car magazine work so he is pretty good. I wanted you peos here to give me some opinions as to comp. speakers. He has given me some input but I wanna hear more. I have no budget for a really good front stage comp.set. I originally was going to run my 5 1/4 alpine R but might just leave those out and get some diff ones. I already have some equipment I will be puttin in my 03' Dakota which consits of AVN 7000 Navi, Your choice of fronts, might run Type-R 6.5 coax in the rear, 2 10" MTX underseat box(dont want to loose function of rear seat), BD1500.1(mono), MRP-F240(4ch) ,2 1farad caps. Let me know if someone can give me an idea of a good set of spks and hopefully not an astronomical price.

kaneo13
04-15-2007, 01:21 AM
With no budget at all I would say Focal Utopias (I think they are $4500 or so). Being a little more conservative I would go for some Focal K2Ps (I think they retail for $1100 or so).

Nate_100
04-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Ok I guess im not MR money baggz then $$. A would like to keep it right around 1000$ or less. I was looking at some focals!

j3bus2k3
04-15-2007, 01:23 AM
With no budget at all I would say Focal Utopias (I think they are $4500 or so). Being a little more conservative I would go for some Focal K2Ps (I think they retail for $1100 or so).

I've only heard one set (the No.7) and they sounded sick...

link: http://www.utopia-be.com/Products/Number7.htm

kaneo13
04-15-2007, 01:28 AM
You will be able to get the K2Ps probably for 800-900USD. I am not sure exactly but I paid about 1200 Canadian for mine.

Nate_100
04-15-2007, 04:20 AM
My installer is suggesting some high end MB Quart? Any words on these? I cant remember which model though but he said they were around 650-700 CND?

JimJ
04-15-2007, 05:02 AM
Ok I guess im not MR money baggz then $$.

:laugh:

I love how the "no budget" threads usually get to this...soon...

Echo42987
04-16-2007, 01:05 AM

No kidding I got a kick out of this one too...

He was like no budget, I start to read and see he is referencing Type R's lol

-Nick-

Nate_100
04-16-2007, 03:33 AM
Last I checked , Type-R's were not a budget speaker that people would get at a local walmart or bargain store. Secondly I DO NOT have a budget for a good front stage but find it a little odd that the recommendations from someone who makes a post suggest I spend $4500 when I also included the 4 ch amp I would be running. If you think im going to spend x5 the amount on speaker then I guess I should have said a budget. I want good sound with the amount of power my amp can give? Sorry for the confusion but I do not need the smart *** coments from you ECHO. Thanks for all the other reply that actually had a suggestion!

alphakenny1
04-16-2007, 03:38 AM
active or passive? if passive maybe rainbow profi vandium or seas lotus reference.

Nate_100
04-16-2007, 03:40 AM
Passive! I have heard good things about the rainbows.

WhoSayWho?
04-16-2007, 03:53 AM
Last I checked , Type-R's were not a budget speaker that people would get at a local walmart or bargain store. Secondly I DO NOT have a budget for a good front stage but find it a little odd that the recommendations from someone who makes a post suggest I spend $4500 when I also included the 4 ch amp I would be running. If you think im going to spend x5 the amount on speaker then I guess I should have said a budget. I want good sound with the amount of power my amp can give? Sorry for the confusion but I do not need the smart *** coments from you ECHO. Thanks for all the other reply that actually had a suggestion!

Oh, don't get upset at Echo. It's just that this happens -- a lot. As a matter of fact, before I even clicked on this thread I wondered whether you had already withdrawn your "no budget" statement. And yes, Type R's are pretty much considered to be budget speakers. That's not to say that they are bad speakers, but keep in mind that Type X's can be had all day long for $200 -250 (real dollars, maybe not Canadian).

DejaWiz
04-16-2007, 10:43 AM
BB/CC/The Likes = Type R is not a budget set.

Internet = Type R is somewhat a budget set.

If you want to run passive, I'd look into the Rainbow Germanium and get a 4 channel amp to biamp them with.

Hebrew Hammer
04-16-2007, 11:41 AM

agreed.....

AMA
04-16-2007, 01:25 PM
You could get a 3-way comps. set of Dynaudio for about $700 or so. Or a 2-way set for $600 or so. They are really nice speakers.

I agree w/ previous posters about the K2P's. I compared these with the Boston Z6's ($1000) and they had everything the BA's did plus some good bass. Definitly a great set of speakers and I think they run $799 or $899. If I had the money I would of gotten the K2P's , but got the KF's instead. If you're wanting to spend a little less look at Rainbows. I've never heard them but they are very popular on this board and some others as well. There's a couple of dealers on here who can give you a better price than a brick and mortar or internet dealer.

genxx
04-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Rainbow Germ, Profi or Van
HAT-Hybrid Audio Technologies
Focal K2Ps
Seas Ref
DLS Ultimate

Cheaper alternatives 720PRS or Crystals if 1000.00 gets to high for you.

No budget Focal Utopia, Rainbow Ref, Brax ect.. but cannot afford them

Man I thought someone was actually not going to have a budget. I new it was to good to be true.

Nate_100
04-16-2007, 03:13 PM
I will say it again, There is NO budget BUT I am not going to spend 3000-4500 when Im not changing the alpine MRP-F240. Thats the amp Im going to run so I will spend the 1000 or 1500 on the speakers and thats no prob. I just see it as over kill to run such a high quality, expesive set when the amp is nothing really to compare to the speakers.

genxx
04-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Thats why I gave you options. Trying to atleast help out.
Get a new AMP.IMO

DejaWiz
04-16-2007, 03:59 PM
I just see it as over kill to run such a high quality, expesive set when the amp is nothing really to compare to the speakers.

Then get a more powerful 4 channel amp. That 4x40W isn't going to come close to exploiting the potential of almost any comp set, let alone high end budgetless sets.

Most of the sets recommended so far would love 100+ WPC RMS.

WhoSayWho?
04-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I really don't get it. You say you don't mind spending gobs of money on your speakers but you insist on not changing out your amp.

Did this amp once save your life or something?

alphakenny1
04-16-2007, 04:52 PM
i agree. with your budget i'd upgrade the front stage and amp. but if he bridges the amp, looks like it'll give 150 or so to the comps, which should be sufficient.

also look into the new dynaudio comps.

genxx
04-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I really don't get it. You say you don't mind spending gobs of money on your speakers but you insist on not changing out your amp.

Did this amp once save your life or something?

I know we have disagreed in the past but X2-X3-X4 on that one. SH** it was confusing me to. Can spring for 1000 set of comps but not a new amp. Get 600-700 dollar pair of Comps and spend the other 300-400.00 on a new amp.

Hintzyboy
04-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Seriously, buy a new amp.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=190

Grab a set of pretty much any of the aforementioned components and you'll be happy. Make sure to deaden the **** out of your doors for optimum performance

WhoSayWho?
04-16-2007, 06:24 PM
I know we have disagreed in the past but X2-X3-X4 on that one. SH** it was confusing me to. Can spring for 1000 set of comps but not a new amp. Get 600-700 dollar pair of Comps and spend the other 300-400.00 on a new amp.

Temporary thread hijacking:
Actually Gen, I went back and looked at your intitial comments about the 2K speakers and they weren't quite what I thought they were. I think in the end all you were really saying was that until proven otherwise you would prefer to plop down that kinda cash on a brand that was more tested in the high, high end range, which actually I agree with.:laugh:

chucku
04-16-2007, 11:02 PM
That mrp 250 will only power tweets on most good comps. :eek:

genxx
04-17-2007, 02:14 AM
Temporary thread hijacking:
Actually Gen, I went back and looked at your intitial comments about the 2K speakers and they weren't quite what I thought they were. I think in the end all you were really saying was that until proven otherwise you would prefer to plop down that kinda cash on a brand that was more tested in the high, high end range, which actually I agree with.:laugh:

Sorry about the thread jacking moment but man when your right your right.
WhoSayWho? FTW

Yes thats what I was trying to say. Might have been the way I worded stuff or something that gave a different impression or got side tracked and start confusing my point. Sorry, try to state stuff better in the future.

jakesford
04-17-2007, 03:33 AM
yeah really you need to choose your real budget. Also where are you planning to install these? Stock location, kick pods, door pods? Do you have your door deadened if you are installing there?

I have a quad cab dakota, and I spent about $200 in secondskin deadening just for the front doors. My $500 front stage budget ended up at $650 really fast:crazy:

Also for the front doors it took ~1.25" spacers on each speaker to clear the window regulator, and it just barely (plus some dremel time) cleared the door panel.

Pioneer 720prs
Diamond D3400.2

Nate_100
04-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Thats cool that you have already done a dakota. How did it turn out. I have a proffesion installer doing all the work so it will most likely work out fine. I have to get lots of dynomat and got him the MDF for the door pods and some non-hardning modeling clay and other odds and ends so im thinking it will be properly sound deadend. I also have the option of kick pods since I already have a fiberclass set made up. They would def take some abuse though since I always have people im my truck and sometimes muddy and dirty. Those trucks just aren't really big enough. What did you do for the rear subs? (MTX Thunderform)?

Buffalohed
04-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Don't buy dynamat. It is ridiculously overpriced and doesn't work any better than the rest. Get Raamat or Second Skin.

genxx
04-17-2007, 03:00 PM
x2. Raamat, Second Skin or edead.:) Dynamat to high:greedy:

DejaWiz
04-17-2007, 03:19 PM
x2. Raamat, Second Skin or edead.:) Dynamat to high:greedy:

x3 on the Raammat or Second Skin.

...eDead and Dynamat cost too much.

Justintoxicated
04-17-2007, 11:42 PM
For your budget you can do Dynaudio if going sealed, if IB you could go with DLS Iridiums or Nobelliums in that price range.

Nate_100
04-18-2007, 12:15 AM
My installer menioned those as well. I havent heard much about them? Anyone ran these? Dynaudio

jakesford
04-18-2007, 03:15 AM
Thats cool that you have already done a dakota. How did it turn out. I have a proffesion installer doing all the work so it will most likely work out fine. I have to get lots of dynomat and got him the MDF for the door pods and some non-hardning modeling clay and other odds and ends so im thinking it will be properly sound deadend. I also have the option of kick pods since I already have a fiberclass set made up. They would def take some abuse though since I always have people im my truck and sometimes muddy and dirty. Those trucks just aren't really big enough. What did you do for the rear subs? (MTX Thunderform)?

Here is a link to my install... didn't get that many pics though

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222119

I killed the idea of kick pods because of the parking brake location, and using 6.5" speakers... This summer i'm planning on making some door pods to mount the midbass and crossover.

As far as the sub, I'm going to build a custom center console with a pair 8" drivers... The amps are mounted behind the rear seats.:)

SQChevy
04-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Ok, you I guess the first question really to be asked is what are you wanting out of your system. If you are wanting some really good speakers, but are only powering them with a 4x40W then stick with coaxial speakers. If you want something and are spending the money on a really good install and good speakers then you need to get a good amp to power them. Figure out which speakers you want then find and amp that will pair well. It doesn't matter if you spend 700 or 5000 on speakers, with 40 watts they won't sound nearly as good as they good.

As far as subs go, I would do something better than MTX. Maybe some JBL or Focal or ARC subs.

You have to think of a system like water running through a pipe. If you are running 8" pipe but have a 1" section then it doesn't matter how much 8" pipe you have the 1" is going to control the flow.

Now, before the comments get made, do not take this sexually please.

CaliforniabOY5
04-18-2007, 03:33 PM

if he would of given ma "no budget" for amps i would of suggested sinfoni amps. . .