PDA

View Full Version : Temparory Alarm Idea

Wragold
04-14-2007, 03:10 PM
What do you think about sticking a LED in my dash for a month or two as a fake alarm till i have enough cash to get the real one. Do you have any ideas on how to hook it up?

dak0ta_g33k
04-14-2007, 08:03 PM
fake is generally not good... but who else will know until the jostle your ride? ;)

easiest way is to hook up to the convenience outlet/cigarette lighter

blackbonnie
04-14-2007, 08:05 PM
make sure you hook it up to flash though or else it wont look real, and put it somewhere where everyone can see it and make sure its red

oxygen65
04-14-2007, 08:08 PM
no dont make it red, you want it to be blue

you can see a blue led flashing a lot further away then a red one

RFCV
04-14-2007, 10:26 PM
No, don't make it red, you want it to be blue.

You can see a blue LED flashing a lot further away then a red one.

I disagree.

A red LED is/will be the standard color for armed alarm. Anything else can be mistaken for a custom LED set up for pimping out.

As far as the "blue flashing further away", go to Radio Shack and buy a 'Bright Red Blinking LED Module': #276-299. It is a 2 AA batt pack with red/black leads to a VERY BRIGHT clear LED on a small circuit board that shines red. Hide the batt pack and extend the leads (if you have to).

I have used these and they work GREAT! :thumbupw:

jmanpc
04-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Just get a trunk monkey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3L9BQQ4Gs

azimuth
04-14-2007, 10:30 PM
i had one of those little flashers that are made to put on a bike. i used it for 2 months a few years back after installing a cd player. seemed to work. i didn't have anything high dollar in my truck at the time though.

blackbonnie
04-14-2007, 10:34 PM
I disagree.

A red LED is/will be the standard color for armed alarm. Anything else can be mistaken for a custom LED set up for pimping out.

As far as the "blue flashing further away", go to Radio Shack and buy a 'Bright Red Blinking LED Module': #276-299. It is a 2 AA batt pack with red/black leads to a VERY BRIGHT clear LED on a small circuit board that shines red. Hide the batt pack and extend the leads (if you have to).

thank you

Ku-sama
04-14-2007, 10:37 PM
i had one of those little flashers that are made to put on a bike. i used it for 2 months a few years back after installing a cd player. seemed to work. i didn't have anything high dollar in my truck at the time though.

hehe... I took what you said a step further...

I ziptied and taped a antiskip CD Player to my bike with D battery powered computer speakers...

:fro:

RFCV
04-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Thank You

:imdama:

azimuth
04-14-2007, 10:39 PM
I disagree.

my viper has a blue led. at the same time though, if someone is to test it and purposely bump it, there is no mistaking whether it's alarmed or not. i would probably do red. i do see alot more nowadays with blue led's than before.

azimuth
04-14-2007, 10:42 PM
hehe... I took what you said a step further...

I ziptied and taped a antiskip CD Player to my bike with D battery powered computer speakers...

:fro:

you should create and market a rechargeable sound system for a bicycle. maybe a little 6.5 inch woofer and a couple 3 way speakers. you could design it so the sub fits on the inside of the frame and the cd player mounts on the handle bars. pimpin'!!!

RFCV
04-14-2007, 10:44 PM
My Viper has a blue led. At the same time though, if someone is to test it and purposely bump it, there is no mistaking whether it's alarmed or not. I would probably do red. I do see alot more nowadays with blue led's than before.

I guess it's a 'new school thing'. I am from the old school. ;)

azimuth
04-14-2007, 10:46 PM
my viper has a blue led. at the same time though, if someone is to test it and purposely bump it, there is no mistaking whether it's alarmed or not. i would probably do red. i do see alot more nowadays with blue led's than before.

I guess it's a 'new school thing'. I am from the old school. ;)

that's why i said "nowadays";)

Chevyaudio
04-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Just remember though you may deter the small time thieves with an LED. The ones that know what they are doing will only be attracted by it.

RFCV
04-14-2007, 10:56 PM
The ones that know what they are doing will only be attracted by it.

"Attracted by it" I disagree with.

It can still serve as a deterrent, until they really DO try.

Chevyaudio
04-14-2007, 11:03 PM
The good guys that can code hop, and are willing to make the gamble on the brain of the unit being under the dash, and that there is not a backup power supply for the alarm can disarm an alarm in 3-5 seconds with 2 people....

really quite simple.

CaliforniabOY5
04-14-2007, 11:06 PM
:imdama:

your a stud.

jrouter76
04-15-2007, 01:13 PM
The good guys that can code hop, and are willing to make the gamble on the brain of the unit being under the dash, and that there is not a backup power supply for the alarm can disarm an alarm in 3-5 seconds with 2 people....

really quite simple.code -hopping please go on explain further, something i need to know.

Wragold
04-15-2007, 01:29 PM
I disagree.

I wanted to go for blue but they didnt have any more. so went for the Blinking LED Module. I wanted to mount it on my dash but my dash is like a thick fome thing. The LED wouldnt have stuck out eunogh to see so i mounted it on the top of my stering colum. My had been broke into a few weeks ago in my driveway so its just some kids thinking that there BA b/c they smashed out my window and took my Subs and amp. Jokes on them, My subs were blowen. a leak in my back window loosened the glue and when i turned them on POP they blew. I'll see if i can get a pic or two of my getto alarm.

Wragold
04-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Place I mounted it at.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/HackieSacKing/IMG_0784.jpg

Light flashing
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/HackieSacKing/IMG_0787.jpg

Battery Pack Hidden but still easy to turn on and off.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/HackieSacKing/IMG_0772.jpg

azimuth
04-15-2007, 01:43 PM
does it blink? i just got one of those little tiny things made to stick on the back of a bicycle. too bad you had to drill a hole.

Wragold
04-15-2007, 01:56 PM
yeah i its ok the isnt to big. and yes it flashes. In a few months i should have enought to get the Python 990. That one has a blue light.

RFCV
04-15-2007, 08:40 PM

Really quite simple.

First off, there are 2 kinds of Code Grabbing. (1) Thief activates grabber in active time near your car as you arm/disarm. (2) Thief scans for your code when you are away & the vehicle is armed. Many good quality car security alarm systems (DEI) have a 'rolling code' feature which changes remote transmitter codes every time you arm/diasarm. Also, there are now billions of different code combos. Even if a good thief tries to scan with a fast scanner, it can take a while to finally lock on. Even with that, if I am correct, the alarm control module can shut down any attempts to hack codes after so many attempts. The use of 'passive arming' (armed after last door is closed) also helps with code grabbing so no RF signal is sent & no code can be grabbed.

Just to state: Code Grabbing is not as wide spread in the US as some think. It has been more of a problem in Europe. I have a old 1996 issue of DEI's 'Security Sense' mag where there is a in depth article on code grabbing.

As for your other comments other than code grabbing, even IF the control module is under the dash with no back-up batt, you can still make it hard to disable by installing high pitch piezo sirens near the unit to make it painful to the ears to attempt to disable. Also, even though I do not recommend to many physical harming security measures for car security, you can wrap razor/barbed wire around the alarm control module IF it is not hidden well. Also, get a hood lock system or relocate your hood release lever to prevent easy access to disabling siren, etc... under hood. Remember to wrap up your color coded alarm wires with either electrical tape or wire loom to blend in with your stock wiring to confuse them.

TO SUM UP: Not to say there is no way around anything, but with enough knowledge & planning you can learn & make it as difficult as possible! Just think like a thief! ;)

RFCV
04-15-2007, 08:47 PM
code-hopping? Please go on to explain further, something I need to know.

^Refer to above post.^ :thumbupw:

RFCV
04-15-2007, 08:53 PM
your a stud.

Just years of book & real world knowledge ;)

dumple
04-15-2007, 08:54 PM
my stock blinky fake alarm is a blue led

RFCV
04-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Place I mounted it at.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/HackieSacKing/IMG_0784.jpg

Light flashing
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/HackieSacKing/IMG_0787.jpg

Battery Pack Hidden, but still easy to turn on and off.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/HackieSacKing/IMG_0772.jpg

VERY GOOD JOB there!!! :handclap:

RFCV
04-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Too bad you had to drill a hole.

On the contrary. It now looks like it's been professionally installed the right way. ;)

jrouter76
04-15-2007, 09:50 PM
^Refer to above post.^ :thumbupw:thanks for the info.

Wragold
04-15-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm glad you guys like it.