PDA

View Full Version : Recomend a relatively inexpensive and yet efficiant alarm .....

skullsmasher
04-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Something that is efficiant but perhaps inexpenseive and easy to install.......do they exist?

$100. approx....?

RFCV
04-13-2007, 11:25 PM
Look into the WASP/HORNET by DEI. www.directed.com

It is a self-contained all-in-one unit that is very easy to install. It features current (dome light) , dual-stage shock (warn away chirp on light hit & full trigger on harder hit), panic, silent arming/disarming, 130dB 'Revenger' 6 tone siren......

It retails for about $80 at your local audio & security shop.

I bought a WASP unit for my bro sometime ago & no problems since! ;)

Just to mention also, there is always self-contained all-in-one alarm units sold at auto parts stores by BULLDOG. I know Bulldog gets a bad rap for not being very reliable, but I have installed these for others with many cars in their driveway & did not feel like going the long professional route. So far they have been fairly pleased with them! The range might not be all that great, but they work & rarely false. ;) They retail from $30 to $60.

There is also self contained units from AUDIOVOX I have seen sold.

*These alarm systems might not be the very best, but at least they offer some kind of alarm protection for those on a tight budget. IMHO, there is no reason not to go without protection. ;)

60ndown
04-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Something that is efficiant but perhaps inexpenseive and easy to install.......do they exist?

$100. approx....?

there are 2 kinds of alarm,

1. an alarm that will save your chit ($250 +)
2. an alarm that any @sshole theif will find a way around in 15 seconds.(<$100)

dont cheap out on your alarm.

skullsmasher
04-13-2007, 11:38 PM
there are 2 kinds of alarm,

1. an alarm that will save your chit ($250 +)
2. an alarm that any @sshole theif will find a way around in 15 seconds.(<$100)

dont cheap out on your alarm.

what is the differences between the two ?

RFCV
04-13-2007, 11:43 PM
There are 2 kinds of alarms,

1. An alarm that will save your chit ($250 +)
2. An alarm that any @sshole thief will find a way around in 15 seconds.(<$100)

Don't cheap out on your alarm.

While you do have a point, some amatuer punks can be scared off immediately by any noise. I have heard of a success story where a cheap all-in-one made the punks run fast & he witnessed it. Not all are going to stay around to try and disable it. ;)

The point is: even if you are waiting to get a better alarm system, you can still have protection. Remember the last thing a thief wants is noise! ;)

RFCV
04-13-2007, 11:52 PM
What is the differences between the two ?

The more professional security alarm system has separate parts that can be hidden & you can add-on more sensors, sirens, etc....

The 'all-in-one' can be found more easily and defeated, IF they STILL want to hang around even while it is going off to find it & disable it.

Most of the time when the alarm triggers the punks know the gig is up & retreat, UNLESS they want a confrontation (especially if you have a 2 way pager that alerts you)! ;)

gl0ck
04-28-2007, 11:56 AM
The more professional security alarm system has separate parts that can be hidden & you can add-on more sensors, sirens, etc....

The 'all-in-one' can be found more easily and defeated, IF they STILL want to hang around even while it is going off to find it & disable it.

Most of the time when the alarm triggers the punks know the gig is up & retreat, UNLESS they want a confrontation (especially if you have a 2 way pager that alerts you)! ;)

2 Kids with small knowledge could disarm your basic alarm in under 8 secs. Who would notice 8 secs? If you say had a 2-way system with significant range, and a back up battery that is quite better.

RFCV
04-28-2007, 08:15 PM
2 Kids with small knowledge could disarm your basic alarm in under 8 secs.

While that is true, you can install a hood lock or relocate your hood release lever to further make it less vulnerable to disable in under 8 sec. I mentioned this in the 'alarm help' post thread near this thread: http://caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230264

Who would notice 8 secs?

The point is once the noise starts, how do they know if nobody has heard it :confused: Also, with a keen ear you will most likely hear it if it is nearby. The main point to remember about alarms are they are psychological in nature, mostly to the punk thief. The very last thing he wants is ANY noise whatsoever (even 8 sec) to alert of his presence!

If you say had a 2-way system with significant range, and a back up battery that is quite better.

I also already mentioned the back up battery in the 'alarm help' post thread mentioned above & the 2-way here. ;)