PDA

View Full Version : best way to cut speaker rings?

pimpedout97x
04-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Everytime I cut a **** ring for my 6.5s and 10s the inner circle comes out to big or small, I can never get it perfect...what's the best way to do this, also can you use partical board for the rings (for fiberglassed panels)?

Flipx99
04-13-2007, 01:32 PM
router + jasper jig

Immacomputer
04-13-2007, 01:35 PM
If you don't want to buy one, make one. The key factor is measuring correctly and to the outside of the bit. After you make the jig, do a test piece first to make sure it's the correct radius.

pimpedout97x
04-13-2007, 01:48 PM
what about using particle board for the rings?

DeuceLee
04-13-2007, 01:51 PM
router + jasper jig

x 2k

there is no better way to do it, and it will pay itself off in trade for your frustration in one box...

never use particle board...

do it right, or don't do it at all...unless you're satisfied with spending hours making a circle jig that will work for a few occasions or try to use a jig saw that most likely will give a circle thats too big, too small, or just plain ugly

pimpedout97x
04-13-2007, 01:57 PM
ok im gonna use 1/2" mdf, and my friend has a router so ill try to make some tonight...

mlstrass
04-13-2007, 03:21 PM
One other tip: draw the size you need on the wood, so you can verify that the router bit is going to cut it where you need it...

dru
04-13-2007, 03:30 PM
i usually cut it a bit smaller then sand the hell out of it until it gets a perfect fit

that and just take your sweet sweet time

Flipx99
04-13-2007, 03:38 PM
If you circle too close, especially with woofers, it is hard to get them out.

I like about 1/16" freedom to move the sub so I can get it out rather than "press fitting" it in there.

DeuceLee
04-13-2007, 03:42 PM
If you circle too close, especially with woofers, it is hard to get them out.

I like about 1/16" freedom to move the sub so I can get it out rather than "press fitting" it in there.

i agree, but i've never had any trouble yet doing it with exact manufacturer specs...

slides right out, and very, very little play...

Immacomputer
04-13-2007, 08:45 PM
...unless you're satisfied with spending hours making a circle jig that will work for a few occasions or try to use a jig saw that most likely will give a circle thats too big, too small, or just plain ugly

Um... all the jigs I have made take less than 10 minutes to cut out and mount to the router. They have all been perfect too. The last one I made can and will be reused and can do from very small circles to 20" cutouts. My homemade is every bit as good as a jasper jig and it's very accurate.

Also, my jigsaw cuts have never been off by more than a 1/16" of an inch and they rarely turn out ugly unless my battery is dying on my ghetto *** jigsaw.

DeuceLee
04-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Um... all the jigs I have made take less than 10 minutes to cut out and mount to the router. They have all been perfect too. The last one I made can and will be reused and can do from very small circles to 20" cutouts. My homemade is every bit as good as a jasper jig and it's very accurate.

Also, my jigsaw cuts have never been off by more than a 1/16" of an inch and they rarely turn out ugly unless my battery is dying on my ghetto *** jigsaw.

that may be the case, but you have to agree that it makes a difference how good you are or how much talent you have etc...

if you're a complete rookie, as in this is your first box, it's probably what i've explained...

i've made my own jig as well, and it worked quite well for a few circles but i can honestly say the jasper was worth the twenty something dollars...every penny of it...

Immacomputer
04-13-2007, 09:04 PM
I think you are confusing talent with intelligence and patience. My very first jig was made out of cardboard and was spot on. This was also my first time ever using a router.

I agree completely that an impatient idiot would never be able to make things look nice.

phyphoestilic
04-13-2007, 09:11 PM
my own jig is made from basal wood i found lying around. lol Works perfectly. It's really easy to make ur own jig unless ur stupid.