PDA

View Full Version : focal vs alpine

farshad
04-13-2007, 05:31 AM
hi dears
focal 165 k2 vs alpine spx-177r
which one the two has more details? do the focal comps have more harshness at high volumes?

DejaWiz
04-13-2007, 10:09 AM
I can't comment on the Focal set, but I can do so on the SPX set since I own one.

- They are not a fierce or aggressive set of components... if you want hard and thundering midbass, you might want to consider something else.
- They are very detailed with sound reproduction... pure SQ is the goal with this set, which they happily offer up.
- The passive crossovers let you custom tune the set based on listening distance and angle for the mids and tweets... and the settings do make an audible difference.
- They can be biamped.

SQChevy
04-13-2007, 10:46 AM
The focal comps are actually very nice at high volume. They do some really nice things with their tweeters. Components will also give you a little more control on sound and placement.

seagrasser
04-13-2007, 12:16 PM
If they are similarly priced, go with the Focals.

CaliforniabOY5
04-13-2007, 05:05 PM
If they are similarly priced, go with the Focals.

umm NO.
They are for 2 different audiances, the k2 are not mellow speakers where as the SPX's are.

farshad
04-13-2007, 05:39 PM
thank for the responses
i've read about not natural sound of type x because of too details .. what r your opinion? which one has a more natural sound?

Hoodlum007
04-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Focal FTW!!

DejaWiz
04-13-2007, 06:45 PM
thank for the responses
i've read about not natural sound of type x because of too details .. what r your opinion? which one has a more natural sound?

The X has a very natural sound. Woofer cones are compressed wood fiber... way more dense and durable than paper cones and musically, they sound quite warm. Tonal reproduction and detail is about the best you can get for the price IMO.

But, as I previously stated, they are not an aggressive component set. Don't except thumping loud midbass if that's what you are looking for. They are so clean and detailed you likely won't even realize how high you have your volume turned up... of course, this will also be very dependant on the quality of the install as well as the quality of the accompanying HU and amp.

Do some research on the Vifa XT line-up... those are what the X's are derived from.

If you want a very good set of comps in a similar price range, check into the Rainbow SLC265 Kicks.... they have more aggressive midbass (hence the "Kick" moniker) and are quite detailed from the reviews I've read.
I should ask PremierAudio if he has any that I can audition since we're both in the same city. :naughty:

Gary S
04-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Define "natural". Speakers are like icecream... there are different flavors... and natural is not one of them.

The Focals are more forward and some people won't like them unless the tweet and mid are installed in kick panels.

Alpine has soft dome tweeters which roll off before metal tweeters in most cases... the Alpines' will be more forgiving of less than optimum speaker placement, and are a better value.

mtlhead
04-14-2007, 05:24 PM
SQChevy.... Your spoon is too big

Imshirazy
04-15-2007, 02:02 AM
I own the X 5.25s, To be honest I'm just very disappointed, don't get me wrong they do sound amazing, but as stated the lower mid is just blehhh
the sensitivity is ****
but the clarity is all there
unfortunately, I have to turn them up a lot more to hear them over the other less quality speakers!

WhoSayWho?
04-18-2007, 01:41 AM
Define "natural". Speakers are like icecream... there are different flavors... and natural is not one of them.

The Focals are more forward and some people won't like them unless the tweet and mid are installed in kick panels.

Alpine has soft dome tweeters which roll off before metal tweeters in most cases... the Alpines' will be more forgiving of less than optimum speaker placement, and are a better value.

I don't know why "natural" is not on the approved adjective list for speakers. It tells me just as much as the term "forward."

genxx
04-18-2007, 02:00 AM
I like natural. I understand what you are saying DejaWiz. Forward to me means the same thing as more of a "in your face" sound, upfront. Natural to me means more laid back, smooth, not harsh or to bright.

I have heard the Focals and I thought they sounded really good.
Never heard the Alpines but hear good things about them.

Just depends on what you want and like as usual.

DejaWiz
04-18-2007, 10:17 AM
I like natural. I understand what you are saying DejaWiz. Forward to me means the same thing as more of a "in your face" sound, upfront. Natural to me means more laid back, smooth, not harsh or to bright.

I have heard the Focals and I thought they sounded really good.
Never heard the Alpines but hear good things about them.

Just depends on what you want and like as usual.

That's exactly what I meant. Natural meaning laid back, warm, and clear... nothing overemphasized or harsh. Not in your face, boxing your ears, and beating your brains in by creating an aggressive soundstage.

Buffalohed
04-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Um, to me, natural means flat or accurate. It means the sound is reproduced naturally, without adding tonality or coloration.

Maybe an expert can jump in and tell us what it usually means in the audio world, because warm and laid back doesn't sound right for some reason.

DejaWiz
04-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Um, to me, natural means flat or accurate. It means the sound is reproduced naturally, without adding tonality or coloration.

Maybe an expert can jump in and tell us what it usually means in the audio world, because warm and laid back doesn't sound right for some reason.

Individual interpretaion of terminology, my friend. You hit the nail on the head by saying "without tonality or coloration". ;) :cool: And to me that means warm and laid back.

Buffalohed
04-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Individual interpretaion of terminology, my friend. You hit the nail on the head by saying "without tonality or coloration". ;) :cool: And to me that means warm and laid back.
Warm indicates softer high treble frequencies and more harmonics in the midrange. Laid back also indicates less treble frequencies. That doesn't sound natural to me.

Warm and laid back are on the opposite end of the spectrum from bright and aggressive. Natural is in the middle of the spectrum, not at one of the ends.

I mean, you can interpret it any way you like, but such different interpretations will lead to there being incorrect assumptions when communicating with other people about speakers. And I'm not saying my interpretation is right, I don't know, but they can't both be right.

troy_audi0
04-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Warm and laid back are on the opposite end of the spectrum from bright and aggressive. Natural is in the middle of the spectrum, not at one of the ends.

Warm & Laid back like at the beach Yeah!!:cool:
I had the SPX-177R's I liked them..
I can tell you in my install I had them on a 2Chl Arc CXL2100 (100x2)
Then Installed (2) Zapco 200C2-Sl's
Bie-amped them..
It was AWSOME!
Iv had focals & I installed them everyday..
Iv still looked into getting another set of the SPX's for my Dad & Girl..
I really enjoyed the sound & the stage was very nice the Xovers are great for passive..
Keep us posted
Troy

DejaWiz
04-18-2007, 12:12 PM

All good points. This makes sense to me.

Hmmm, maybe we should create a picture of such a spectrum and see if we can get it stickied....

Buffalohed
04-18-2007, 12:13 PM
All good points. This makes sense to me.

Hmmm, maybe we should create a picture of such a spectrum and see if we can get it stickied....

That would be pretty cool.

CaliforniabOY5
04-18-2007, 12:20 PM
:) Wow there are people who understand car audio on this forum

DejaWiz
04-18-2007, 12:22 PM
:) Wow there are people who understand car audio on this forum

So what's your excuse then?! :p: :D ;)

Towncar
04-18-2007, 12:52 PM
The focals sound a bit better to me, but the tweeter is very bright. If you have a pretty good eq to tame them, then go with the focals.

WhoSayWho?
04-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Warm indicates softer high treble frequencies and more harmonics in the midrange. Laid back also indicates less treble frequencies. That doesn't sound natural to me.

I mean, you can interpret it any way you like, but such different interpretations will lead to there being incorrect assumptions when communicating with other people about speakers. And I'm not saying my interpretation is right, I don't know, but they can't both be right.

Well, we are dealing with using language to try to convey how speakers "sound" so there is more than a small chance of some miscommunication. But I think that a lot of people would associate "natural" more with the warm and laid back end of the spectrum. In contrast, I don't think anyone would ever associate "natural" with the bright/ aggressive end of the spectrum.

So there.

DejaWiz
04-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Well, we are dealing with using language to try to convey how speakers "sound" so there is more than a small chance of some miscommunication. But I think that a lot of people would associate "natural" more with the warm and laid back end of the spectrum. In contrast, I don't think anyone would ever associate "natural" with the bright/ aggressive end of the spectrum.

Well said. Exactly what I was doing.

genxx
04-18-2007, 04:02 PM
OK. We are all right, we interpret it the same way in different wording. We could definitely start a sticky on this wording subject. The knowledge cup runeth over on caraudio.com watch out.LOL

Just an example:
Guy 1-"That subs rockin"
Guy 2-"That sub is loud as a motherfuc***"

Gary S
04-19-2007, 06:39 PM

So there.

I agree. But I never liked the term "natural" though, it's too open to interpretation... to me, natural would be like listening to live music in a park. However, most of the time in the real world, most of us are listening to a studio recording mixed by a another human listening to headphones. You are going to have a tough time making the later sound live with speaker selection... the musical imformation is not in the recording to begin with.... and even if you did, what would a live acoustic recording sound like on those same speakers? Do you see the conflicting goals?

farshad
04-20-2007, 12:53 AM
how about DLS Iridium?:)