PDA

View Full Version : JBL GTI C608GTi MKII

DejaWiz
04-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Anyone use or hear these? Thoughts on good/bad? Biampable?

They'd be replacing my SPX-177R's and powered by an Infinity 7541a 4x111W RMS @ 4 Ohms.

16.6V
04-12-2007, 12:22 AM
Those were one of the most powerful mid-bass speakers I have ever heard. :yumyum: If you drop them into doors, Dynamant is must, unless you don't care about insane rattling and buzzing noise. Also they are indestructible for any 150-200Wx2 amp, the max power is 600W :eek: i believe. So, 200+W RMS should be no problem at all.

Towncar
04-12-2007, 12:24 AM
I absolutely dislike that jbl set. While they have great midbass, the midrange is horrible imo for the price. They midrange is very muddy, and the tweeter is a bit harsh. Im glad c609gti's are no longer jbls flagship componenets. Do yourself a favor and stick with your type x's, or look elsewhere.

16.6V
04-12-2007, 12:39 AM
The midrange was not worse than any other speakers I owned. If you run them actively it all depends on your crossover points. That particular JBL is built extremely well with light, synthetic woofer material and great suspension. I don't think that midrange is worse than type-x's. :confused:

Towncar
04-12-2007, 12:52 AM
If your looking for killer midbass, and average midrange, then by all means get the jbls. Compared to many of the sets ive auditioned/ owned, the jbls did poorly. They are not very musical imo, and I think he would be dissapointed in the performance vs the type x's. I could think of several sets cheaper that are far better sounding, but thats just my 2 cents.

genxx
04-12-2007, 01:11 AM
Dejawiz- I like mid bass. The JBLs are strong but not sure they really are that great at the all around muscial reproduction. You know I like the Rainbows, either the Profi Kick or Powerline. IMO They both exceed the JBL all around. The are some Seas and others out there that will give you better mid bass and play muscical alot better that the JBL's, from the reviews and advice I have seen. Go check out my thread that kinda covers this, I linked them both below. I have been going through the which mid bass questions here latley.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226816
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11284

DejaWiz
04-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks to everyone for their input. I decided not to get them for the fact that yes, gobs of midbass is nice, but if they lack clarity in certain arenas and exhibit harshness in others, then it's likely I won't like them. I got offered to buy them for $235 but I suppose that money can be saved and put towards some Germs.

Again, thanks everyone!

X Ray
11-05-2007, 12:37 AM
I decided not to get them for the fact that yes, gobs of midbass is nice, but if they lack clarity in certain arenas and exhibit harshness in others, then it's likely I won't like them.

I'm sure it's too late at this point, and not to trash anyones opinion, but I'd recommend listening to a set of speakers before you take someone else's opinion and assume that yours would be the same. How do you know you wouldn't like the way the midrange sounds? Did you listen to them? And with what genre of music?

The engineers at JBL are easily some of the best in the speaker world. JBL has been at the top of the game in the professional audio industry for DECADES. Yes, Pro Audio and Car Audio are two TOTALLY different animals, but a good set of ears is a good set of ears. Don't count out JBL's speaker expertise so quickly.

I've been a musician for the majority of my life. I sing, play piano, electric guitar, classical guitar and bass. I also used to own a recording studio, and used to design and build my own tube amplifiers. Lets just say I have a pretty good idea of what music is supposed to sound like.

At their price point, I bet the JBL components sound pretty **** good. Just listen to them with your own ears before you make a final decision.

Didn't someone win first place SQ with these JBL components?

cam5860
11-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Yeah Gary Biggs is stomping the competion right now with that new component set called the 660 GTI set. They claim there the best money can buy right now. I know he done that BMW with them in there and won 1 place in SQ.

Towncar
11-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Yeah Gary Biggs is stomping the competion right now with that new component set called the 660 GTI set. They claim there the best money can buy right now. I know he done that BMW with them in there and won 1 place in SQ.

This is not the same set that was mentioned in the post. I wouldnt question this set being good, but like i mentioned the 608gtis are a horrible set overall.

Towncar
11-05-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm sure it's too late at this point

You would be correct, this thread is several months old..

cam5860
11-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Go to jbl.com. They have that car audio magazine on there with that bmw that gary biggs won with.

Towncar
11-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Go to jbl.com. They have that car audio magazine on there with that bmw that gary biggs won with.

Why would i go there for, i dont care.. Like i said, i wouldnt question that the 660s are a good set, because i know they are. Im just telling you I dislike the 608s..

cam5860
11-05-2007, 11:12 PM
okay I gotcha!

X Ray
11-06-2007, 02:14 AM
I appologize Towncar. I had the 608's confused with the 660's. My bad.

DejaWiz
11-06-2007, 09:14 AM
I did get a chance to audition the 608's from a local JBL dealer powered with around 2x120w rms. I wasn't impressed. The highs were quite harsh. Heck, even the midbass seemed lacking, although this was probably due to the sound board and I'm sure they sound much different in-car.

Anyway, I removed my X's in hopes of selling them and getting a set of 720PRS's, so I'm rocking the stockers right now. ....every time I listen to music on them I die a little inside. :crap:

Hoodlum007
11-06-2007, 12:20 PM
The JBL comps get loud as heck but really lack good old sound quality.

cam5860
11-06-2007, 05:15 PM
I just ordered a set of the jbl power series components. When I get them installed I will put my 2 cents in on how they sound.

theothermike
11-06-2007, 10:30 PM
id go with the 720PRS smart man wise move. heard great things and i heard that the mid is honestly prob worth 2x its price.

but if i were going active im not sure if u are, id go with some peerless exclusive 7" paired with the seas 27 neo aluminum tweeter.. amazing quality on both sides and for the money it hard to beat.

either way, the prs for components if passive and seas / peerless combo for active are ur best bets imo. If ur going 3 way then my ideal system would prob consist of some adire extremis as midbass or any xbl2 technology big motor woofer, with a pair of hiquiphoni OW1 or OWII (im really tired excuse my spelling) with a pair of scan speak 4.5 revs as midrange =] but my wallet would be crying

=]

mike-

DejaWiz
11-07-2007, 12:18 AM
I've read that going active with the 720PRS's makes for some outstanding results!

Hoodlum007
11-07-2007, 02:11 PM
I just ordered a set of the jbl power series components. When I get them installed I will put my 2 cents in on how they sound.

i have heard these comps are really power hungry, what kind of amp and power will you be using on them?

cam5860
11-07-2007, 06:46 PM
I have the new kenwood excelon 4 channel amp. It's the kac-x40 model. It's rated at 70x4 RMS or 200x2 RMS.