PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Ports?

drifterman33
04-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Here Is a picture of my box with the ports that I would Like to do to make it better (red Rectangles are not to scale)..... There is also a picture of inside the box as you can see there is a ledge inside ......do you guys think that this a good idea to make it ported right there and also how big would the ports have to be??

jdawg
04-10-2007, 10:43 AM
sure the box has enough volume to be ported and sound good? I would do round ports if it was me. Oh wait you just want to cut rectangular holes in it?

Twistid
04-10-2007, 10:48 AM
we already told you it was a retarded idea...

but if you have to, use pvc ports so you will save the most internal volume and you can change out lengths of pvc until you can make it not sound like total ****

thunder9500
04-10-2007, 10:51 AM
How about a single 4" aeroport???

drifterman33
04-10-2007, 10:52 AM
you guys said that it would be retarded to do it on the sides....but i thought why not port it on the front where if you look inside the box there is a ledge...

drifterman33
04-10-2007, 10:53 AM
never herd of an aero port what is it??

Trixter
04-10-2007, 12:59 PM
never herd of an aero port what is it??

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3072/untitledue8.th.png (http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledue8.png)

do you understand the concept of porting an enclosure and how to properly tune it? you make it sound in your post that you just wanna cut some holes in a box and call it ported.

drifterman33
04-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Well i really havent looked into it and it seems really difficult because of my box shape and size...where do you get that areo port and can you trim it to meet specifications? Also could you explain what it takes to make a good port job?? Like what length should i cut and then would i have to re tune my amp to the new hz??

Trixter
04-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Well i really havent looked into it and it seems really difficult because of my box shape and size...where do you get that areo port and can you trim it to meet specifications? Also could you explain what it takes to make a good port job?? Like what length should i cut and then would i have to re tune my amp to the new hz??

www.partsexpress.com sells precision ports. they come with a formula for cutting them. the only thing you might wanna do to your amp is turn on the subsonic filter, if it has one.

drifterman33
04-10-2007, 01:27 PM
ok so my amp doesnt have a subsonic filter....the x over is set to 80 and the gain is around half....and bass boost is a little over half...so i dont need to change anything?

iamamp3pimp
04-10-2007, 01:29 PM
not really.

id cut the bass boost though

drifterman33
04-10-2007, 01:34 PM
are the aero tubes that much better than the regular tubes??

drifterman33
04-10-2007, 01:35 PM
not really.

id cut the bass boost though

If i turn off the bass boost then my woofers dont sound that loud at all...I would i have to turn the gain almost all the way up

neonrt
04-10-2007, 01:51 PM
If i turn off the bass boost then my woofers dont sound that loud at all...I would i have to turn the gain almost all the way up

turn the boost off and set the gains properly with a dmm, or at least set them to what preout voltage your deck is.

drifterman33
04-10-2007, 02:08 PM
is there any where else to buy aero ports??(local stores)

drifterman33
04-10-2007, 02:10 PM
The first time that i set it with a dmm i had to turn the gain up almost all the way.....so how can you find the voltage of the preouts??

neonrt
04-10-2007, 03:21 PM
The first time that i set it with a dmm i had to turn the gain up almost all the way.....so how can you find the voltage of the preouts??

check your head decks manual if you have it, or google the model #.

ultimate157
04-10-2007, 03:54 PM

If it didn't sound bad with the gain that high, then its supposed to be that way, and no bass boost. I'm guessing your HU has a pre-out voltage of 2v.

drifterman33
04-10-2007, 09:00 PM
If it didn't sound bad with the gain that high, then its supposed to be that way, and no bass boost. I'm guessing your HU has a pre-out voltage of 2v.

well it sounded fine to me but this is my first install...then i took it to CC to check it and he turned it way down....i tuned it using the dmm though

W8 a minute
04-11-2007, 12:56 AM

I really am looking for SPL not SQ and the guy at CC turned it down for SQ....what do you think i should do?

Start over.
That box is too small for those subs. You'll never have SPL or SQ with this current set up.
You'll be turning knobs, cutting port holes, installing ports, tuning ports, and eventually removing ports, stuffing with polyfill, removing polyfill, checking with a DMM, and rechecking with a DMM until you're blue in the face and nothing will change for the better.

Is the box a single chamber? If so, you might be better off removing one sub and plugging the hole and just let one sub use the entire box. You might even be able to get away with ports this way. I think you'll be surprised how much better one sub in the proper airspace is over 2 subs in a box WAY too small.

drifterman33
04-11-2007, 09:36 AM
well now i am mad because i just bought this box...I really wanted to put the back seat in....