PDA

View Full Version : custom amp/processor cabinet being made for the home, comments/ideas?

thadman
04-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Im having a custom wood cabinet being made to house my processors and amplifiers (DEQ + DCX + XLS402B + 4 XLS602Ds +? + CD transport? + 360?) and whatever other amplifiers or gizmos I plan on using in the future. It will be finished the same as my speaker cabinets. I'd like the cabinet to be as future proof as possible (big enough to hold several large amplifiers...within reason) and include some sort of cooling within the cabinet.

What dimensions (depth and width) should the shelves be to hold the largest (within reason) amplifiers that I could in the future use. What should I do about wire management or sound deadening?

1loudsuv
04-08-2007, 08:17 PM
sound deadning? well green glue with a second layer of drywall should help alot but thats pricey...

and dimensions well i would say something like 20 wide 15 inches tall and 30 inches deep that hsould be the biggest but i think its best you pick out what amps you want first

but i think your main concern should be weight. my rotel is god dang heavy specs say 70 lbs but it feals to be closer to 100lb i probably need to workout hahaha. as of right now its in the corner on top of a piece of mdf :(

ballstothewall
04-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Make it at least 25" deep with upwards of 12 rack spaces. The put as many shelves as you want for the 360, CD player, DVD player, etc.

thylantyr
04-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Someday in the far future I want to build my 12 proamp amp rack. I need to figure out air flow, intake/exhaust with filters. It should accommodate the RU size for
proamps. Figure out if you ever have plans for proamps larger than 2RU or
perhaps make each shelf > ~4RU, you can stack two 2RU amps per shelf or later if
you buy a crazy 4RU amp, it will still fit, but those amps could weigh over 100 pounds.
If you use home amps, well those are all non standard in size and you may need taller.

I wanted to install heavy duty slides so I can slide out the shelf to access the
rear of the amp for wiring, but it add to the cost.

Scoobydoo
04-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Install a small computer power supply in it someplace(bottom or top corner maybe) and use that to power low noise 120cm cooling fans placed in the back of anything producing alot of heat and near the top where the heat will rise.

Make the shelves adjustable in 1-2" increments

ballstothewall
04-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Install a small computer power supply in it someplace(bottom or top corner maybe) and use that to power low noise 120cm cooling fans placed in the back of anything producing alot of heat and near the top where the heat will rise.

Make the shelves adjustable in 1-2" increments

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&DID=7&CATID=27&ObjectGroup_ID=809

thylantyr
04-09-2007, 06:24 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&DID=7&CATID=27&ObjectGroup_ID=809

Expensive?

I was thinking more like a 3/4" thick piece of plywood with heavy duty drawer
sliders.

http://www.global-b2b-network.com/direct/dbimage/50289603/Drawer_Slider.jpg