PDA

View Full Version : Watts?

ENDER_XVICM
04-06-2007, 10:52 PM
How can you tell, or at least take an educated guess at how many watts you are sending your speakers?

If I have a 140Watt amp, will I be useing 140Watts no matter what or does it depend on what my gains are set to?

Biker
04-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Increasing your gain will increase the AC voltage your amp sends to the speakers. So the Watts are produced by some voltage sent by your gain adjustment to a fixed resistance such as a 4 ohm or 2 ohm speaker load.

The gain setting tutorial explains everything. Just remember set the gains to produce the required Watts determined by which rating is less, the speakers or the amp.

req
04-08-2007, 12:14 AM
take a voltmeter to the termianls, set it at AC voltage, turn amp on, play 1000hz, measure voltage, measure current. *if you break anything its not my fault*

volts x current = wattage

http://showcase.netins.net/web/ducksteins/Stuff_files/Ohmslaw.jpg

enjoy.

by the way, this will not tell you if you are clipping your amp, or sending any level of distortion to your speakers, it just gives you a black and white statement of how many watts you are supplying to your speakers.

16.6V
04-08-2007, 03:08 AM
Just use common sense. If speakers are paling within designed frequency range and do not reach the point of audible distortion, you are OK. A long time ago I powered some 60W coaxials with 150W amp and it was pretty obvious when speakers began to distort. When I used clean studio-recorded CD there was no audible distortion 3/4 of the way up. I newer blew my speakers.

From my experience to blow speakers you really have to do something obviously stupid + ignore burning smell of voice-coils for about 2 mins. :fro: