PDA

View Full Version : Germanium Tweeter Light

the727kid
04-06-2007, 08:29 PM
They lights blew out on me, any one know where to buy replacement ones and if any damage was possibly done to the tweets if the light was blown?

Trey803
04-06-2007, 08:30 PM
If light blew most likely there is no damage

JimJ
04-06-2007, 08:31 PM
If you're driving them hard enough to cause the light to blow out, something's wrong with the way your amps are configured...

the727kid
04-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Well with my old amps they used to light up a lot, now they only light up really on really high notes on songs, I can reduce my gain a little on them, the midbass take the power like champs. Anyways its a light bulb, light bulbs don't last forever.

Trey803
04-06-2007, 08:38 PM
light bulb lights up in order to protect the tweeters when the x-over sees too much power which most likely comes from a clipped signal.

the727kid
04-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Or cuz I feed them almost double their RMS, anyways I know all this, any one know where I can get replacement bulbs.

dumple
04-06-2007, 08:42 PM
can i see pictures of these said bulbs are they in the speaker or what im kinda confused if its just a regular automotive bulb pepboys id guess

the727kid
04-06-2007, 08:59 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i269/the727kid/S5300037.jpg Bad Picture but only camera I got here right now.

whitemax
04-06-2007, 09:08 PM
This is what is in the manual for bulb replacement:

halogen bulb (12V/20W/G4)

Would be good to know where to pick them up at......

slick rick
04-06-2007, 09:21 PM
home depot..when I installed my germs a year ago I wired them wrong and the light blew. :hide: Check in the lighting section...

dumple
04-06-2007, 09:25 PM
whats the light for?

whitemax
04-06-2007, 09:31 PM
home depot..when I installed my germs a year ago I wired them wrong and the light blew. :hide: Check in the lighting section...

Good to know.... next time I am there I will pick up a couple as spares :) .

whats the light for?

thermal protection device.....

BlackMaxima
04-07-2007, 04:43 PM
whitemax

how much power do you feed the germs???

im thinking 100W perside , but again im thinking its to low
what you think?

whitemax
04-07-2007, 08:42 PM
My amp is giving them a tad under 100 watts RMS. The other 2 channels are running my rear speakers. This are only engaged when I have rear passengers in the car. I have thought about going back to bi-amping them.

BlackMaxima
04-08-2007, 02:45 AM
My amp is giving them a tad under 100 watts RMS. The other 2 channels are running my rear speakers. This are only engaged when I have rear passengers in the car. I have thought about going back to bi-amping them.

ohh k,
how does it sound with 100 W?

whitemax
04-08-2007, 03:18 AM
Sounds good, having said that...... I liked it better when I had all four channels running to them. The added power on top of the extra tuning capability was a big plus.

My little girl complained when she did not hear the music from the rear speakers (she's five and sits in the back).... I caved in :).

Radridd
04-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Lowes in the landscape lighting section. About 5 bucks each.

whitemax
04-08-2007, 12:47 PM
I went to Home Depot yesterday and totally forgot about picking up a couple of these guys......

Omarvelous
04-09-2007, 03:40 PM
My little girl complained when she did not hear the music from the rear speakers (she's five and sits in the back).... I caved in :).

:ohsnap:

I think it's time...... I think she is ready.... give her a CA.com account.... and a hello kitty avatar....

headless
04-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Going from 2x120w to a 4150 bridged w/ 2x325w+ is an impressive difference.

Whitemax, our configuration is surprisingly similar considering the variety of choices available these days :) My poor 12w6 foam surround dry-rotted out. Should i get a 12w6v2? ;)

I've been riding around for about 2 weeks now without a subwoofer...the germaniums are extremely impressive. I've got them crossed @ 63hz/24db and it's really shocking how much volume comes from these suckers in the low ranges - a couple of people have sat in my car and none of them have remarked at the lack of bass at all...one guy refused to believe that all i had hooked up was the germs till i showed him the unplugged sub in the trunk ;) I realised earlier this week that my side mirrors vibrate from the germ's all by themselves enough to make them difficult to see things in. I always thought that was the sub... ;)

ngsm13
04-09-2007, 06:55 PM
If you're driving them hard enough to cause the light to blow out, something's wrong with the way your amps are configured...

Yups.

nG

whitemax
04-09-2007, 08:51 PM
:ohsnap:

I think it's time...... I think she is ready.... give her a CA.com account.... and a hello kitty avatar....

That would be cool :) . She actually gets in the car and gets the remote out from under the armrest. She then procedes to change the radio stations or change sources and goes to the songs she likes :laugh: .

Going from 2x120w to a 4150 bridged w/ 2x325w+ is an impressive difference.

Whitemax, our configuration is surprisingly similar considering the variety of choices available these days :) My poor 12w6 foam surround dry-rotted out. Should i get a 12w6v2? ;)

I've been riding around for about 2 weeks now without a subwoofer...the germaniums are extremely impressive. I've got them crossed @ 63hz/24db and it's really shocking how much volume comes from these suckers in the low ranges - a couple of people have sat in my car and none of them have remarked at the lack of bass at all...one guy refused to believe that all i had hooked up was the germs till i showed him the unplugged sub in the trunk ;) I realised earlier this week that my side mirrors vibrate from the germ's all by themselves enough to make them difficult to see things in. I always thought that was the sub... ;)

I guess we both have pretty good taste for audio equipment :) . I am really liking the sound that the W6v2 is putting out. I am satisfied with both the output, and SQ this sub provides. I just had to back down on the gains some as these are not rated for the power my amp can put out at 2 ohms. You are right about the Germaniums, these things do put out some good volume in the lower range :cool: . I am actually pretty happy with my system right now.........

the727kid
04-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Got the new light bulbs and everything is good :).