PDA

View Full Version : ID Horns Newb help...

OoMesKoO
04-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Sorry guys, but i need some newbie help. I searched around, and really couldnt find any hard info. on how to run these bad boys. All i know is, i hear they get very loud. My question to everyone is though... what kind of EQ'ing will need to be done with these? And will my HU work? Im not 100% keen on slopes, freq. curves, blah blah blah. Also, these cannot be used by themselves? Midbass is needed? Would a nice set of components do for midbass response? I need All the help i can get here guys, I would really like to do these, but i dont want them to sound like SHIIIEEET, or like pro audio, in a car.

Thanks in advance!

UndercoverPunk
04-06-2007, 11:45 AM
How many bands are available in your headunit? Uh.... no, they SHOULD NOT be used without a woofer to play the lower frequencies.... You do have an active crossover network don't you? Do you even have the horns?

OoMesKoO
04-06-2007, 12:03 PM
No, i dont yet. I wasnt going to buy them if getting them to sound good was COMPLETELY out of my range.

UndercoverPunk
04-06-2007, 12:05 PM
No, i dont yet. I wasnt going to buy them if getting them to sound good was COMPLETELY out of my range.

I believe that to be the case.

req
04-06-2007, 12:06 PM
A. you should have at least 8 bands of EQ
B. you should have at least 12db\oct crossover slope, for CD2's around 1.2khz, for CD1's around 1.5khz and possibly lower if 24db\oct.
C. you NEED a midbass for them, i would recommend that they be crossed over from about 60~100hz to depending on where the horns are set, about 1.2~1.5khz. these crossover points you should play around with.
D. the should have around 25 watts at 8 ohm to work with. wich is about 50 watts at 4 ohm.

so no. they should not work off your headunit. they will need an external amplifier because i dont think there are many headunits that can provide 25w @ 8ohm and highpass them 1.2khz~1.5khz. and yes, they require a midbass.

OoMesKoO
04-06-2007, 12:09 PM
I was planning on getting an amplifier for them. Im sorry if it came off that i wasnt. I was actually referring if the EQ in the HU was sufficent enough. Im not sure exactly what it has for one though. AVH-P6400CD is model of the HU.

OoMesKoO
04-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Also....

B. you should have at least 12db\oct crossover slope, for CD2's around 1.2khz, for CD1's around 1.5khz and possibly lower if 24db\oct.

What exactly does that mean?

This might actually be out of my leauge. Maybe ill stick to comps.

joetama
04-06-2007, 12:17 PM
n00bx shouldn't play with horns... :fyi:

T3mpest
04-06-2007, 01:26 PM
n00bx shouldn't play with horns... :fyi:

x2, if you don't understand crossover slopes, setting up horns might be tricky.

genxx
04-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Horns are not something you run out and just buy. You need to know how to implement them, placement, tuning. They are not like placing a set of comps in your veh. If you get the horns you will still need to figure out how to hook them up tune them properly and then you would need a lot of expertise to get everything to work correctly and sound correct.
Horns are deficiently not for n00bx. There are even people with tons of experience that won't enter the horn market.

joetama
04-06-2007, 01:29 PM
x2, if you don't understand crossover slopes, setting up horns might be tricky.

Getting a set of horns isn't like putting tweeters in your car.

There is a lot of EQing and system config to get them even close to being right...

frzninvt
04-06-2007, 01:43 PM
The mid-bass speakers that you use with them also have to be matched from an efficiency standpoint since the horns are 97db @ 1W. If you are going with ID horns make sure to get the matching networks and 2 ohm mid-bass speakers that go with them or else it is going to sound like thunder and lightning with no frequency response in-between.

joetama
04-06-2007, 01:46 PM
The mid-bass speakers that you use with them also have to be matched from an efficiency standpoint since the horns are 97db @ 1W. If you are going with ID horns make sure to get the matching networks and 2 ohm mid-bass speakers that go with them or else it is going to sound like thunder and lightning with no frequency response in-between.

Uhhh... That doesn't matter...

Because if you are going to run horns you are going to be running active. So you and turn down the horns or turn up the mids gains to match. Thus one of the beauties of active... It makes it easy to get the mids power if they are 2 ohms, but that is really the only thing.

JimJ
04-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Not to mention that 97dB/W midbasses won't work in a vehicle, and still have any usable LFE :)

At home, yes...but you can't fit fridge-sized enclosures in your doors very well. Even then, you'd have to pad the hell out of the horn. I've heard the results and it's not pretty, best just to go active anyway.

joetama
04-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Not to mention that 97dB/W midbasses won't work in a vehicle, and still have any usable LFE :)

At home, yes...but you can't fit fridge-sized enclosures in your doors very well. Even then, you'd have to pad the hell out of the horn. I've heard the results and it's not pretty, best just to go active anyway.

I want to see someone try... :fyi:

UndercoverPunk
04-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Uhhh... That doesn't matter...

Because if you are going to run horns you are going to be running active. So you and turn down the horns or turn up the mids gains to match. Thus one of the beauties of active... It makes it easy to get the mids power if they are 2 ohms, but that is really the only thing.

ID, makes comp sets with hons an passive crossovers.... there's even a set with your 2nd favorite 6.5" driver.

Just a general :fyi:

UndercoverPunk
04-06-2007, 01:53 PM

nonsense, do you remember my old doorpods? :laugh:

joetama
04-06-2007, 01:54 PM
ID, makes comp sets with hons an passive crossovers.... there's even a set with your 2nd favorite 6.5" driver.

Just a general :fyi:

WOW... Amazing... Well I guess I should say 'there is no way logically that I could even imagine running horns without being active'.

CX62... eeewwww.... :laugh:

joetama

They were kind of like putting 2 18" Q's in 25 cuft...

:laugh: ;)

JimJ

I also remember you saying how they sounded like loud, off-key screaming virgins.

UndercoverPunk
04-06-2007, 01:55 PM
WOW... Amazing... Well I guess I should say 'there is no way logically that I could even imagine running horns without being active'.

CX62... eeewwww.... :laugh:
Look at that quote.... I really cannot type for ****.

UndercoverPunk
04-06-2007, 01:55 PM
I also remember you saying how they sounded like loud, off-key screaming virgins.

shhhhhhhhhhhhh...

joetama
04-06-2007, 01:56 PM

I thought that was in his basement... That store room with the big lock on it..

UndercoverPunk
04-06-2007, 01:56 PM
They were kind of like putting 2 18" Q's in 25 cuft...

:laugh: ;)

Meh, trial and error... mostly error.

joetama
04-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Meh, trial and error... mostly error.

It happens... All for the better...

UndercoverPunk
04-06-2007, 01:58 PM
It happens... All for the better...

Or worse who knows! :naughty:

joetama
04-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Or worse who knows! :naughty:

Just ask NG... He knows...

genxx
04-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Undercoverpunk-You are braver than I am. I looked at horns about 3 times and just did not have the balls to give them a try. It so hit or miss getting them set-up right. Every time I get my comp sets to sound great, I am so relived I talked my self out of horns.

joetama
04-06-2007, 02:04 PM
He has balls and isn't afraid to show them to you... :fyi:

JimJ
04-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Literally.

UndercoverPunk
04-06-2007, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't so much say brave as.... I dunno... courageously stupid...

genxx
04-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks I got my own to look at. But don't feel like I don't appreciate the offer LMAO. Is it courageously stupid or just stubborn.:laugh:

Little voice in your head-
"get em, don't get em, get em, don't get em" Yours stopped on get em, mine continued I guess to don't get em. :)
Maybe it was my buddy saying how the hell do plan on making those work, I am not helping if you get those.:crying:
Maybe asking isn't this what you go through every time you bring this up, get over it stupid.:blackeye:

Hebrew Hammer
04-06-2007, 04:02 PM
I freaking hate horns.....

joetama
04-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Literally.

Have you seen them?

I wouldn't so much say brave as.... I dunno... courageously stupid...

I think they turned out decent. I was actually pretty impressed with them.

JimJ
04-06-2007, 04:05 PM
They're a love or hate thing, that's for sure :)

Getting 110db/W out of a dome tweet is a tall order though.

joetama
04-06-2007, 04:10 PM

Usually means a lot of distortion somewhere...

Hebrew Hammer
04-06-2007, 04:18 PM

hard yes...impossible no..my good buddy did a 113 on the rta at sbn....but I'd take tonality anyday over the bs horn crap

genxx
04-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Usually means a lot of distortion somewhere...

hard yes...impossible no..my good buddy did a 113 on the rta at sbn....but I'd take tonality anyday over the bs horn crap

Two very good reasons not to run horns, no matter what the little voices say.:laugh:

joetama
04-06-2007, 04:44 PM

If you do a horn right at high volumes it should sound better than a tweeter...

Two very good reasons not to run horns, no matter what the little voices say.:laugh:

I meant it as if you are running a tweeter that loud then you are going to have lots of distortion... :fyi:

genxx
04-06-2007, 04:57 PM
I got what you where saying. I just like always coming up with reasons not to run them so I do not drive myself crazy trying to get them right. Hell I have a hard enough time even getting any Comp set the way it want it or think it should sound.

joetama
04-06-2007, 05:05 PM
I got what you where saying. I just like always coming up with reasons not to run them so I do not drive myself crazy trying to get them right. Hell I have a hard enough time even getting any Comp set the way it want it or think it should sound.

True...

Every time you want to get them just thing 'Aaron said I can't have the' and it will be ok....

req
04-06-2007, 06:14 PM
i <3 my horns.

a pain in the *** sometimes.

but i love them. and i had them before that ucp *** did.

UndercoverPunk
04-06-2007, 06:20 PM
i <3 my horns.

a pain in the *** sometimes.

but i love them. and i had them before that ucp *** did.
Mine are cooler though, and they've never been in a saturn. ;)

JimJ
04-06-2007, 06:21 PM

Was that with one watt of output power?

joetama
04-06-2007, 06:24 PM

Owe... BURN?

Was that with one watt of output power?

:laugh::naughty:

req
04-06-2007, 06:34 PM

i would not go and make fun of somone elses car, when the interior of your own looked like a goat was being analy abused and went insane then destroyed everything.

and how would you say yours are cooler? if i rember correctly, you had to roll down the window for A\C

:fro:

joetama
04-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Wow... This is turning into a dirty battle...

UndercoverPunk
04-06-2007, 08:48 PM
i would not go and make fun of somone elses car, when the interior of your own looked like a goat was being analy abused and went insane then destroyed everything.

and how would you say yours are cooler? if i rember correctly, you had to roll down the window for A\C

:fro:

First of all... who told you about the goat? And my horns are cooler because the drivers aren't the size of a dinnerplate. And I rolled down the windows because I smoke, the A/C work juss fine a-thank you.

geeez, can't even poke fun a little around here.:suicide:

joetama
04-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Seems like reQ got butt hurt a little...

JimJ
04-06-2007, 11:20 PM
in the navy...*hums*

:D