PDA

View Full Version : Slot Port

actlsub
02-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Have a JL12w6v2 in a sealed 1.25cf with a jbl 600.1 amp. What to make a ported box for a change to see the difference, from what i herd i think i will like it better. On the JL sight they have a suggestion for a box but it has a 1.5cf slot port design and does not say what it is tuned to. Is this a good idea to try this because it is to JL specs, or should i just make my own ported box with a round port design??

evo2k3
02-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by actlsub
Have a JL12w6v2 in a sealed 1.25cf with a jbl 600.1 amp. What to make a ported box for a change to see the difference, from what i herd i think i will like it better. On the JL sight they have a suggestion for a box but it has a 1.5cf slot port design and does not say what it is tuned to. Is this a good idea to try this because it is to JL specs, or should i just make my own ported box with a round port design??

No stick with the slot....JL subs tend to sound better with slot ports. I think those specs get you tuned to 32hz or so....you can make your own design but keep the slot port and probably go bigger then 1.5 mabey 2-2.5 cubes

98greenlude
02-05-2003, 06:58 PM
no i would go with the slot port. its a little harder to build but u wont get port noise. i personally had a kove armaggodon in a slotted port enclosure and it sounded better then anything else ive heard for what it was and the power it was getting

actlsub
02-05-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by evo2k3
No stick with the slot....JL subs tend to sound better with slot ports. I think those specs get you tuned to 32hz or so....you can make your own design but keep the slot port and probably go bigger then 1.5 mabey 2-2.5 cubes

Yea i would like to go a little bigger than the 1.5, however wouldnt i need to change the slot port lenght and design from the 1.5cf box to keep the tuning the same??

evo2k3
02-06-2003, 05:18 PM
yup....its all going to change you can probably stick with the same hieght and width of the port, but yes to retain the same tuning freq. you will have to change the length....figure out what you kind of volume your working with and either myself or Jmac (he is better at it) can help you will the port length....there is a calculator at
http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31 however i do not know if anyone has confirmed that it works properly or not.

actlsub
02-06-2003, 08:36 PM
yea i tried using that port length calculator but i had a little problem. Using the 1.5cf box that JL suggests the JLslot port dimensions are 1.5 by 12.5 which would give an area of 18.8inches^2. If i set the calculator tuned to 32 hz then the minimum area came out to be 28inches^2. A big difference. In order to get the area of the slot port down to the 18.8inches^2 of the JL box, i had to lower the tuning freq down to 21hz. Can this be right?? I never herd of a box tuned to that low. Im pretty sure im doin this correct.
Here is the site for the JL box: http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/W6v2_DS.pdf

evo2k3
02-06-2003, 09:08 PM
I dont know that port area works right or now, dont wory about it since jl already gave to the size they recomend (which varrys very little with volume)....the calculator at the bottom works...i verified it with the forumlas I have for volume.