PDA

View Full Version : Need HDMI Reciever Suggestions and other questions...

rollininstyle04
04-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Ok so I am in the process of planning my first HT setup. So far this is what I THINK I am going with:

TV: Panasonic TH-58PX600U

SPEAKERS

Main: B&W 602.5
Center: B&W LCR60 S3
Surround: B&W DM600 S3 (is it worth spending the extra $100 for the 601?)
Sub: SVS PB10-NSD (the 10 should be fine to match up with the rest of the setup as far as output goes, right? Or would it be better to go with the 12? I dont want crazy bass, just something nice and clean to compliment the rest)

Now here is where I need some help. Could someone recommend a GOOD Receiver and DVD Player (preferably the same brand, but thats not necessary). I would like to spend around $800 for the receiver and DVD player. Is that a decent budget for what I am looking for? I dont want to skimp on anything, so if it HAS to be more that is fine. I just want something that will be on par quality wise to everything else.

Also, I need recommendations for a good Universal remote (nothing crazy, but something nice...I was thinking Logitech, but honestly have no idea), as well as a good Powercenter/surge protector (I was looking at Monster's CleanPower, but not sure how intense of one I would need with my setup).

Lastly, wire...could anyone give me a rundown of all the wire I will need to hook all this up. Or at least direct me to a site where I can find that all out. Other then general speaker cables, HDMI cables, etc. is there anything that I wouldn't naturally think of?

TIA for all the help
-Jordan

PatFitz9
04-04-2007, 04:06 PM
do you want a regular ol DVD player, upconverting, HD, Blu-Ray?

and we can't know what wires you won't think of :P

Beat_Dominator
04-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Now here is where I need some help. Could someone recommend a GOOD Receiver and DVD Player (preferably the same brand, but thats not necessary). I would like to spend around $800 for the receiver and DVD player. Is that a decent budget for what I am looking for? I dont want to skimp on anything, so if it HAS to be more that is fine. I just want something that will be on par quality wise to everything else.

Judging by the rest of the equipment that you have listed, you'll need to spend at least $800 on the reciever alone. You'll want more than just reciever power to get the most out of a set of B&W speakers like that. A pre/processor + amps setup will cost more but give you the best performance. I'd suggest looking into Outlaw Audio's equipment as it has been very well reviewed.

Also, I need recommendations for a good Universal remote (nothing crazy, but something nice...I was thinking Logitech, but honestly have no idea), as well as a good Powercenter/surge protector (I was looking at Monster's CleanPower, but not sure how intense of one I would need with my setup).

You want Monster products with "Clean Power v.3" or higher. I've tested the lower ones and they do nothing. APC now makes conditioners and they seem to work well.

Lastly, wire...could anyone give me a rundown of all the wire I will need to hook all this up. Or at least direct me to a site where I can find that all out. Other then general speaker cables, HDMI cables, etc. is there anything that I wouldn't naturally think of?

You'll need lots of cables. Too early to tell ;)

rollininstyle04
04-04-2007, 04:16 PM
do you want a regular ol DVD player, upconverting, HD, Blu-Ray?

Not and HD, or Blu-Ray, probably an Up-converting, something with an HDMI output

and we can't know what wires you won't think of :P
Good point...lets not worry about wire now then, i can figure that out later...

Beat_Dominator
04-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Something like this http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/970.html plus a 5 channel amp. It's DVI but thats just as good as HDMI.

joetama
04-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Beat Dom to the save on this one... :laugh:

1loudsuv
04-04-2007, 04:21 PM
seems like a nice setup

as far as receivers i say the onkyo the one pistonsfan has is good bang for the buck but if you can afford more go for it. i know the denon 2307 does almost everything my 2807 so that can be another option.

as far as dvd player get an oppo

power conditioner well panamax but their pricy. i just use a monster bar and an apc ups

rollininstyle04
04-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Judging by the rest of the equipment that you have listed, you'll need to spend at least $800 on the reciever alone. You'll want more than just reciever power to get the most out of a set of B&W speakers like that. A pre/processor + amps setup will cost more but give you the best performance. I'd suggest looking into Outlaw Audio's equipment as it has been very well reviewed.
I understand that a pre/processor and amps would be the BEST, but would a 100 watt per channel or so receiver not make the B&Ws sound good? I was looking at the Yamaha RX-V1600 and RX-V1700 as well as the Pioneer and Pioneer Elite receivers. Would those not be good enough?

Honestly I am looking to spend around $3500 for everything other than the TV. The speakers listed above are around $2000. That leaves, $1500 for the receiver, dvd player, wire, power accessories, remote, etc...Is that an ok price-point to be at?

You want Monster products with "Clean Power v.3" or higher. I've tested the lower ones and they do nothing. APC now makes conditioners and they seem to work well.

Ok thanks :)

You'll need lots of cables. Too early to tell ;)

Ok, we can figure that all out later

1loudsuv
04-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Something like this http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/970.html plus a 5 channel amp. It's DVI but thats just as good as HDMI.

well dvi tends to give more problems then hdmi....

everyone with an hd-dvd player now cant get their dvi connections to work anymore since yesterdays update. and mines bricked so i had to get a new one today :naughty: but at least now i have an a2 not a bulky a1

also with hdmi the receiver actually gets the audio part of the signal... and depending on the receiver it will use it but not all will. my denon does i think the 2307 and so does pistonfans onkyo

Beat_Dominator
04-04-2007, 04:28 PM
I'd go Yamaha over the Elite stuff. Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, and some Onkyos will have the best internal amps. I have been disappointed with my parent's Elite reciever.

rollininstyle04
04-04-2007, 04:30 PM
I'd go Yamaha over the Elite stuff. Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, and some Onkyos will have the best internal amps. I have been disappointed with my parent's Elite reciever.

...and in your honest opinion will it still sound good? The setup is for my Dad. He wanted to get a HTIB to go with the 58'' Plasma and I talked him into investing into some good audio to go with a good picture. I just want a GOOD intro HT setup. Something that will sound impressive, doesn't have to be the best out there, just good quality.

Beat_Dominator
04-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Well I agree with the suggestion of the Oppo DVD player. People rave about it and it's dirt cheap. Then you'll have more extra for a reciever. It'll still sound very good.... just not the very best you can get out of the speakers ;)

joetama
04-04-2007, 04:34 PM
I used to run my RX-V1500 on my B&W 703's.

And they sounded great! So you will be more than fine with that Yamaha receiver...

rollininstyle04
04-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Pistonsfan has the Onkyo TXSR604...Circuit City has it on sale now for $450...thats really cheap...

So I guess right now my choices would be:

Marantz SR4001
Marantz SR5001
Onkyo TXSR604
Onkyo TXSR674
Yamaha RX-V1700
Yamaha RX-V1600
Denon AVR-2307

All of those are in the $450-800 price range I believe...which one perfoms the best for the price?

rollininstyle04
04-04-2007, 04:39 PM
I used to run my RX-V1500 on my B&W 703's.

And they sounded great! So you will be more than fine with that Yamaha receiver...

So would you recommend the newer 1700 or would the older 1600 still sound almost as good?

joetama
04-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Either would be fine... I am sure that the amp is the same in both of them...

1loudsuv
04-04-2007, 05:26 PM
here is something for him or you to look into if you ever decide on getting hd-dvd or ps3/blu ray

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=770354

rollininstyle04
04-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Ok, well im almost positive im going to go with the Oppo DV-981HD seems to be a great product for only $230.

That leaves me about $1250ish for the everything else. Could someone give me a ROUGH guess on how much wire will cost so I can see how much I truly have to spend on a receiver

rollininstyle04
04-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Do you mean Stage 3? The highest version I see is 2...unless I am missing something...could you recommend a specific model?

joetama
04-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Ok, well im almost positive im going to go with the Oppo DV-981HD seems to be a great product for only $230.

That leaves me about $1250ish for the everything else. Could someone give me a ROUGH guess on how much wire will cost so I can see how much I truly have to spend on a receiver

I have one of those Oppos on the way and I am rather excited about it...

DBfan187
04-04-2007, 10:33 PM
is the Oppo an HD-DVD player or just an upconverting DVD player?

joetama
04-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Just upconverting....

DBfan187
04-04-2007, 10:47 PM
what's the cheapest HD-DVD player out?

joetama
04-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Don't go cheap...

You will regret it in the long run!!!

DBfan187
04-04-2007, 10:53 PM
well I'm not gonna spend $500+ on one either!

1loudsuv
04-04-2007, 11:00 PM
well I'm not gonna spend $500+ on one either!

ayayayayaya....

their $399 at circuit city and they give you 4 movies on the spot and toshiba mails you 5 more :) i have to fill out the form for the one i picked up today and add to my collection :)

docutech
04-04-2007, 11:01 PM
For wires go here:

www.monoprice.com

They have the best prices on EVERYTHNING from HDMI cables to speaker wire. I used them for all my wire needs. They are great!

rollininstyle04
04-04-2007, 11:05 PM
For wires go here:

www.monoprice.com

They have the best prices on EVERYTHNING from HDMI cables to speaker wire. I used them for all my wire needs. They are great!

Great, thanks!

Do you think you could GUESS an approximate price for all my wiring needs. I just want an estimate, since i truthfully have no idea. Just so I know how much I can budget for the receiver.

DBfan187
04-04-2007, 11:46 PM
ayayayayaya....

their $399 at circuit city and they give you 4 movies on the spot and toshiba mails you 5 more :) i have to fill out the form for the one i picked up today and add to my collection :)
I'm not buying it off a website, and there's no Circuit City here :fyi:

BestBuy has the HD-A2 for $399 but without the free movies. :(

1loudsuv
04-05-2007, 12:10 AM
I'm not buying it off a website, and there's no Circuit City here :fyi:

BestBuy has the HD-A2 for $399 but without the free movies. :(

oh yes they give 5 from toshiba ;)
http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com/_pdf/perfectoffer_advert.pdf

docutech
04-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Great, thanks!

Do you think you could GUESS an approximate price for all my wiring needs. I just want an estimate, since i truthfully have no idea. Just so I know how much I can budget for the receiver.

2HDMI, 2Optical, subwoofer, 12 gauge and 14 gauge speaker wire , gold banana plugs (24 ea. est.) I would say about 150 bucks shipped. This is a high estimate. It would depend on the components you were using. Figure less if you arent going to have multiple game consoles, stand alone CD player.

Beat_Dominator
04-05-2007, 12:50 AM
As for cables, guess you'll need 4-6ft per interconnect. If you plan to go HDMI from DVD and cable box to reciever..then to tv, that's 3 HDMI to start. $70 per is a fair guess for them. If you have the full deal, add $150-200 for stereo interconnect for vcr, cd (though oppo could do that for you), and digital coax or optical in case you want to skip the HDMI for audio (I would on the DVD player for sure).

As for the power thing, stage two is actually ok. My parents have this one. http://www.monstercable.com/power/productPagePower.asp?pin=1219&LastPage=PowerBars

If you want to go a tad nicer the stage 3 could be worthwhile.

joetama
04-05-2007, 10:29 AM
oh yes they give 5 from toshiba ;)
http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com/_pdf/perfectoffer_advert.pdf

Wow... ****** movie selection... Is that all of the HD-Movies :laugh:

What good is Blazing Saddles in HD???

docutech
04-05-2007, 11:25 AM
3 HDMI to start. $70 per is a fair guess for them.

:wow: you can get 3 HDMI cables (very good quality) for 70 Dollars at Monoprice! Dont waste your money on Monster's hype. Reviews have shown that there is NO difference between a 18 dollar gold plated HDMI cable and a "Monster" brand one. Insanity!:suicide:

P.S. The Oppo DVD player comes with a HDMI cable included :fyi:

joetama
04-05-2007, 11:28 AM
:wow: you can get 3 HDMI cables (very good quality) for 70 Dollars at Monoprice! Dont waste your money on Monster's hype. Reviews have shown that there is NO difference between a 18 dollar gold plated HDMI cable and a "Monster" brand one. Insanity!:suicide:

P.S. The Oppo DVD player comes with a HDMI cable included :fyi:

Indeed it does... Right on for Oppo....

rollininstyle04
04-05-2007, 12:14 PM
As for cables, guess you'll need 4-6ft per interconnect. If you plan to go HDMI from DVD and cable box to reciever..then to tv, that's 3 HDMI to start. $70 per is a fair guess for them. If you have the full deal, add $150-200 for stereo interconnect for vcr, cd (though oppo could do that for you), and digital coax or optical in case you want to skip the HDMI for audio (I would on the DVD player for sure).

As for the power thing, stage two is actually ok. My parents have this one. http://www.monstercable.com/power/productPagePower.asp?pin=1219&LastPage=PowerBars

If you want to go a tad nicer the stage 3 could be worthwhile.

What do you mean skip the HDMI for audio? I thought the HDMI cables did both audio and video? Is the audio sub par when using them? Sorry for the confusion...just want to make sure I understand this all

docutech
04-05-2007, 12:33 PM
What do you mean skip the HDMI for audio? I thought the HDMI cables did both audio and video? Is the audio sub par when using them? Sorry for the confusion...just want to make sure I understand this all

it will all depend on what components you use to do what. If you have a stand alone CD player you will need coax cables or optical cable or RCA's...if you plan on using your HDMI DVD player to play audio cd's then you dont need coax or optical or RCA's...

joetama
04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
it will all depend on what components you use to do what. If you have a stand alone CD player you will need coax cables or optical cable or RCA's...if you plan on using your HDMI DVD player to play audio cd's then you dont need coax or optical or RCA's...

Analog is pretty much the best way to play CD's. Unless you have a super crappy player. Or are using a D/A Converter and Transport... :fyi:

docutech
04-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Analog is pretty much the best way to play CD's. Unless you have a super crappy player. Or are using a D/A Converter and Transport... :fyi:

Foreaaalzz?? Interesting...

joetama
04-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Foreaaalzz?? Interesting...

Yea Foreaaalzz....

rollininstyle04
04-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Oh...this setup is going to be for probably 95% movies, 5% music...so there will be no CD Player, just the Oppo to play all the DVDs and the occasional CD.

I have narrowed my receiver options down to the following, but im still not sure which of these is the best for the money:

Onkyo SR804: $680
Yamaha HTR-6090 (which is basically the RX-V1700 i believe): $700
Denon 887: $700
Marantz SR4001: $500

Im still open to other suggestions, but from reading around those seem to be pretty good and all are able to pass up to 1080p

Which one would you all go with?

joetama
04-05-2007, 02:54 PM
There is a big difference between the HTR and the RX-V in the quality of the processing and components used. :fyi:

I would go with the Denon or the Marantz over the HTR...

rollininstyle04
04-05-2007, 03:18 PM
There is a big difference between the HTR and the RX-V in the quality of the processing and components used. :fyi:

Oh...i have just been reading around over on hometheaterforum.com and a few people claimed that the HTR was just the mass produced version of the RX-V...i guess that was wrong though.

I would go with the Denon or the Marantz over the HTR...

I think I am leaning towards the Denon 887 now...i just compared it to the 2307 on thier site and i believe the 2307 is just the custom install version of the 887 for $100 more. Based on their specs the only differences i saw were something to do with a third party remote port, and some preamp feature which the 887 only has 5.1 of (which doesnt matter since its a 5.1 setup anyway).

So is the 887 a good choice for my setup?

rollininstyle04
04-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Also, here is another n00b question, but what is de-interlacing? If the receiver only de-interlaces to 480i is that a bad thing? Since the TV and DVD player will do 1080p?

1loudsuv
04-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Also, here is another n00b question, but what is de-interlacing? If the receiver only de-interlaces to 480i is that a bad thing? Since the TV and DVD player will do 1080p?

well my 2807 say if i hook up the cable box to it and it gets a 480i signal it upconverts it to 480p or whatever it is. i havent done it cause to me its just a waste of electricity having the receiver on just for that.

rollininstyle04
04-05-2007, 03:39 PM
well my 2807 say if i hook up the cable box to it and it gets a 480i signal it upconverts it to 480p or whatever it is. i havent done it cause to me its just a waste of electricity having the receiver on just for that.

Im still a little confused...I was reading a review on Cnet and it said:

So far, so good--but the 2307CI is missing the other two parts of the equation, features that made the AVR-2807 so easy to use. It doesn't offer de-interlacing (480i to 480p conversion), so all of the analog video remains in its native resolution. (That differs from what Denon originally told us--and what we originally reported--when this model was first announced.) For component-video sources, that can include HD video, but for any composite or S-Video sources--including such common devices such as VCRs, camcorders, video iPods, and older game consoles--it's 480i. Furthermore, the AVR-2307CI's onscreen display shows only at 480i resolution over the HDMI connection as well. Both 480i limitations--the lack of de-interlacing and the dearth of onscreen display at HD resolutions over HDMI--mean the AVR-2307CI's HDMI compatibility is questionable with the many older and some current HDTVs that can't receive 480i video via their HDMI inputs. For instance, if you connect the AVR-2307CI to the Samsung HP-R4252, a 2005 plasma model, or the LG 42LB1DRA, a 2006 42-inch LCD flat-panel, via HDMI, you'll get a blank screen when you switch to a 480i video source or when you access the onscreen display, because neither model can accept a 480i video stream via HDMI. That means you'll need to run a second video output--composite, S-Video, or component--to the TV, just to see those non-HD video sources or to access the onscreen menu. That's a pain you wouldn't have if you were using lower-priced competitors, such as the JVC RX-D412B or the Onkyo TX-SR674, which offer the de-interlacing feature.

Im not sure what all that means...

I am actually thinking the Onkyo SR674 might be a better deal for me. It would be close to $250 cheaper and as far as comparisons go, they seem to be pretty comparable. Anyone have any strong opinions Denon 887 vs Onkyo SR674?

joetama
04-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Oh...i have just been reading around over on hometheaterforum.com and a few people claimed that the HTR was just the mass produced version of the RX-V...i guess that was wrong though.

It might be... But when they build stuff on such a big scale the internal parts are usually of a lower quality.

Honestly, get the receiver for the audio. Don't even worry about the video.

The reason I say this is if you want the purest video signal you will want to run directly from the source unit to the display. Meaning DVD to the TV. I know it voids all of the sweet video switching the receiver does but whenever you put something else into the signal chain you are just going to be lowering your quality... :fyi:

rollininstyle04
04-05-2007, 03:49 PM
It might be... But when they build stuff on such a big scale the internal parts are usually of a lower quality.

The reason I say this is if you want the purest video signal you will want to run directly from the source unit to the display. Meaning DVD to the TV. I know it voids all of the sweet video switching the receiver does but whenever you put something else into the signal chain you are just going to be lowering your quality... :fyi:

Ok...so is the Denon 887 worth $250 more than the Onkyo SR674? Im not an audiophile by any means, will there be a noticeable difference in SQ/Output to justify the extra money?

1loudsuv
04-05-2007, 03:52 PM

not when its digital... its pure 1-0 but even if digital has nothing to do with it. it doesnt affect picture one bit in my setup. and im good at telling differences in boht audio and video. i can definatly hear a difference from my a1 to my a2 dunno yet if its good or bad :( leaning more towards bad especially for cd playback but about the same for hd-dvd playback.

joetama
04-05-2007, 03:56 PM
not when its digital... its pure 1-0 but even if digital has nothing to do with it. it doesnt affect picture one bit in my setup. and im good at telling differences in boht audio and video. i can definatly hear a difference from my a1 to my a2 dunno yet if its good or bad :( leaning more towards bad especially for cd playback but about the same for hd-dvd playback.

No, actually it changes it. Maybe only a little but it would change it.

You have to figure in loss and noise from the internal processing. If it was 'directly' connected there wouldn't be an issues (maybe a little but it would be unnoticeable), however there is processing that the digital signal goes through so it does make a difference. :fyi:

docutech
04-05-2007, 03:58 PM
I can get you a deal on a Denon 2807. PM me.

Beat_Dominator
04-05-2007, 04:07 PM
:(

1loudsuv
04-05-2007, 04:11 PM
No, actually it changes it. Maybe only a little but it would change it.

You have to figure in loss and noise from the internal processing. If it was 'directly' connected there wouldn't be an issues (maybe a little but it would be unnoticeable), however there is processing that the digital signal goes through so it does make a difference. :fyi:

but can it be seen? no....

i sure cant and last time my girl went to pick up glasses i asked to the doctor to check my vision and i got 20/16

joetama
04-05-2007, 04:41 PM
but can it be seen? no....

i sure cant and last time my girl went to pick up glasses i asked to the doctor to check my vision and i got 20/16

Sweet I am happy for you...

But really there is no reason to pick your receiver for video when you can just bypass it. Audio is what is important anyway!!!

1loudsuv
04-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Sweet I am happy for you...

But really there is no reason to pick your receiver for video when you can just bypass it. Audio is what is important anyway!!!

ummm yes their is. if your hd-dvd player or blu ray player doesnt have analog outs then you need to use hdmi to get uncompressed sound but if you dont own an hd-dvd player or blu ray player then your right no reason to go through the receiver.

but i did compare the analog outs on my a1 versus hdmi and hdmi sounded better noticibly better.

joetama
04-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I forgot about Hdumb and Blue-Gay....

rollininstyle04
04-05-2007, 05:55 PM
I can get you a deal on a Denon 2807. PM me.

PM Sent :)