PDA

View Full Version : new crosscutting jig PICS

k12ug
04-04-2007, 11:54 AM
http://i5.tinypic.com/44kyuci.jpg

this is my idea and design.
there will be two rails on each side for the saw to slide up and down the table.
comments?

k12ug
04-04-2007, 02:23 PM
anyone have any idea on how it would preform vs. table saw?

helotaxi
04-04-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure how it's supposed to work or what I'm looking at so it's hard to comment.

Omarvelous
04-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Yea.... exactly what is this? Looks kinda big for a "jig"

k12ug
04-04-2007, 02:59 PM
sorry for poor explanation.

you put two 90 degree bars on the top....where the gap is...
you run the hand saw across it...and you have straight cuts.

get it?

baseballer1100
04-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Im so confused...

k12ug
04-04-2007, 03:11 PM
uhmmm....let me get a example for you.
BIG PIC
http://i14.tinypic.com/2nhfio3.jpg
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Build/CircCrossCut.html

like that....but a lot bigger

"crosscutting jig for a circular saw"

baseballer1100
04-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Why wouldn't it work?

k12ug
04-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Why wouldn't it work?

im just saying....should i build this or spend 500+ $ on a big table.....this way i can cut just about anything.

and if i do build this...how accurate would it be vs. a table saw....any problems?

helotaxi
04-04-2007, 03:34 PM
The accuracy will depend entirely on how accurately you build the jig. If the jig is off, then ever cut will be, too. If it is built square, then every cut has the potential to be good. Accuracy though is going to depend on the user from there. Same goes for a table saw.

k12ug
04-04-2007, 03:37 PM
The accuracy will depend entirely on how accurately you build the jig. If the jig is off, then ever cut will be, too. If it is built square, then every cut has the potential to be good. Accuracy though is going to depend on the user from there. Same goes for a table saw.
thanks man

but my rig looks cool, right?
lol

when i build it ill have a work log for everyone and show everyone how much it costs.

im thinking 60$ and under.

Pop da Hatch
04-04-2007, 03:41 PM
take alot of pics........if you build it of course.

DeuceLee
04-04-2007, 04:15 PM
take alot of pics........if you build it of course.

x2

daym, this is getting me some very interesting ideas...

Fast1one
04-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Very interesting, me sure to post pics

k12ug
04-04-2007, 05:45 PM
if any one you guys have any ideas on my design...please let me know
i want to make this tihnk very accurate and the best most clean cut i can possibly get....

mu only worries right now is what wood it 100% STRAIGHT to the mm. that i can use for the railings..

if you have any ideas please down load google sketch up and add onto and/or edit my design.

here is the the file for my design in google sketch up
http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/4639/table%20saw.skp

:)

Chevyaudio
04-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Wood wont' be 100% straight...hence the link you posted uses aluminum bars.

Metal would be MUCH better.

DeuceLee
04-04-2007, 05:49 PM
if any one you guys have any ideas on my design...please let me know
i want to make this tihnk very accurate and the best most clean cut i can possibly get....

mu only worries right now is what wood it 100% STRAIGHT to the mm. that i can use for the railings..

if you have any ideas please down load google sketch up and add onto and/or edit my design.

here is the the file for my design in google sketch up
http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/4639/table%20saw.skp

what i would do is make the lenght 49 inches so you can fit a whole MDF sheet into it...so basically get a piece of 3/4 mdf and cut it along so you get a nice 49 inch long piece...

then what i'd do is just make the width 18 or so inches, just more then the size of the width of the saw...this way its more mobile...i'll try to get a sketch up if possible...

k12ug
04-04-2007, 05:52 PM
what i would do is make the lenght 49 inches so you can fit a whole MDF sheet into it...so basically get a piece of 3/4 mdf and cut it along so you get a nice 49 inch long piece...

then what i'd do is just make the width 18 or so inches, just more then the size of the width of the saw...this way its more mobile...i'll try to get a sketch up if possible...

it is...lol....its 5 feet long...
and 4 feet wide.

except the mobile part

k12ug
04-04-2007, 05:53 PM

thank you...ive got a new idea!

Railrocker
04-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Ive used a jig just like that for cutting vinyl sofit (Sp?) so we could cut several pieces in a row. It was homemade as well so yeah should work.

DeuceLee
04-04-2007, 05:55 PM
it is...lol....its 5 feet long...
and 4 feet wide.

except the mobile part

yeah i see that, thats why i said i'd make mine smaller...

i figure if was going to build something THAT big and spend $60 or whatever, i might as well buy a table saw for $200...

i think with my idea, i can build it with my left over 4'x4' sheet of MDF :laugh:

k12ug
04-04-2007, 05:57 PM

the bars that the saw slide on?
or the thing on the back that lines the board so i can make 90 degree cuts?

DeuceLee
04-04-2007, 05:57 PM

yeap, i was going to do what LOWEs DIY plan showed...

maybe i can forget about that table saw for alittle while with my new built from left over scrap jig :laugh:

k12ug
04-04-2007, 05:58 PM
yeah i see that, thats why i said i'd make mine smaller...

i figure if was going to build something THAT big and spend $60 or whatever, i might as well buy a table saw for $200...

i think with my idea, i can build it with my left over 4'x4' sheet of MDF :laugh:

i would have 4x3' of mdf....

1x3' gain on your part....lol

k12ug
04-04-2007, 06:30 PM
http://i13.tinypic.com/4h8uo9i.jpg

mdf from what i hear is VERY straight.

how does it look?

Chevyaudio
04-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Also, an 8 foot ruler and 2 C clamps can make a circular saw VERY accurate, and make perfect cuts. Thats what I use when I rip a large sheet in half, then when its managable I use my table saw.

k12ug
04-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Also, an 8 foot ruler and 2 C clamps can make a circular saw VERY accurate, and make perfect cuts. Thats what I use when I rip a large sheet in half, then when its managable I use my table saw.

ive seen that done.
but.....i kind like this idea...lol

manageable*

DeuceLee
04-04-2007, 06:51 PM

i got a 4 foot ruler and thats how i do most of my cuts :laugh:

2 c clamps, ruler, two horses and a circular saw...:cool:

i just want something quicker tho...

this def seems like a nice cheap alternative to a table saw...

PV Audio
04-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Quite possibly the most confusing diagram ever :laugh:

Just get a 2x4 and clamp it down. Straight cuts everytime. I'd just invest in a table saw though. I haven't used my circ saw more than once since I got my table.

k12ug
04-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Quite possibly the most confusing diagram ever :laugh:

Just get a 2x4 and clamp it down. Straight cuts everytime. I'd just invest in a table saw though. I haven't used my circ saw more than once since I got my table.

thats the thing...i could invest in a table saw for 500$+
for build this for 60-80$

uhmmmm.......

im 16..which one do you think id go with? lol

PV Audio
04-04-2007, 07:14 PM
thats the thing...i could invest in a table saw for 500$+
for build this for 60-80$

uhmmmm.......

im 16..which one do you think id go with? lol
I just turned 18. The table saw truly pays for itself. And where do you get the idea that table saws cost 500+? Mine, which I consider to be quite good for someone with my skills (not carpentry grade, midline consumer stuff), was 300 dead. My first one was 120.

k12ug
04-04-2007, 07:20 PM
I just turned 18. The table saw truly pays for itself. And where do you get the idea that table saws cost 500+? Mine, which I consider to be quite good for someone with my skills (not carpentry grade, midline consumer stuff), was 300 dead. My first one was 120.

what table saw do you happen to own?

PV Audio
04-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Hitachi something, you can see it in my carpeting thread w/ the model number.

k12ug
04-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Hitachi something, you can see it in my carpeting thread w/ the model number.

the thing i have over your saw is 48"+ cutting length....in a very fast manor.
the straight edge for the saw is also a very good idea that i might build as well....but im still building my table.....i need one anyways.

PV Audio
04-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Oooook...?

Omarvelous
04-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Honestly..... u should b able to get away with just the circle saw...

U just clamp down a piece of 4x2"x.... w/e length.... parallel to your cut. But far left or right from the cut enough so the blade lines up with the cut and the edges along the 2x4.... or clamp boths sides with 2 2x4s, and run it down...

DeuceLee
04-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Honestly..... u should b able to get away with just the circle saw...

U just clamp down a piece of 4x2"x.... w/e length.... parallel to your cut. But far left or right from the cut enough so the blade lines up with the cut and the edges along the 2x4.... or clamp boths sides with 2 2x4s, and run it down...

i wouldn't trust a 2x4 (possibly the very straight expensive good quality ones), i'd do PVAudio and what I've said and thats a 4 foot or 8 foot aluminum ruler...

k12ug, although i see this as a very good and cheap alternative to having just a ruler and some clamps, in the long run, i honestly believe the table saw will win out...

for example, for cutting the front, sides, ports inside and back and back piece, once you have your fence set on the table saw, just slide each piece in and rip, rip, rip...for this jig, you have to measure each time you rip and make sure its exactly on and even still it might not be perfect like a table saw...

so if you're just building a couple boxes a year max, i say this jig will be fine, but if you're planning on building alot of boxes in the future, i say the table saw will save plenty of time to be worth the $150-$200...

btw you can get a nice JET belt driven table saw from amazon or mendards for $230...

k12ug
04-05-2007, 09:14 AM
i wouldn't trust a 2x4 (possibly the very straight expensive good quality ones), i'd do PVAudio and what I've said and thats a 4 foot or 8 foot aluminum ruler...

k12ug, although i see this as a very good and cheap alternative to having just a ruler and some clamps, in the long run, i honestly believe the table saw will win out...

for example, for cutting the front, sides, ports inside and back and back piece, once you have your fence set on the table saw, just slide each piece in and rip, rip, rip...for this jig, you have to measure each time you rip and make sure its exactly on and even still it might not be perfect like a table saw...

so if you're just building a couple boxes a year max, i say this jig will be fine, but if you're planning on building alot of boxes in the future, i say the table saw will save plenty of time to be worth the $150-$200...

btw you can get a nice JET belt driven table saw from amazon or mendards for $230...

link?

and im not using the 2x4 for the fence....ill be using mdf.

ill make the small one....but i need a table anyways...lol

DeuceLee
04-05-2007, 09:21 AM
link?

and im not using the 2x4 for the fence....ill be using mdf.

ill make the small one....but i need a table anyways...lol

i was refering to what Omarvolous said about the 2x4, mdf will be better for sure, metal would be best i think...

this is the table saw, but too bad you're in FL, no mendards, its regular price is $229, and i'm waiting for their quarterly 11% off everything sale to possibly buy it...but i'm still thinking about possibly making this jig and call it a day...we'll see...

Link to table saw (http://www.amazon.com/708315LSB-JBTS-10LS-2-Benchtop-10-Inch-Storage/dp/B000CFH3AI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-4296589-4726426?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1175779535&sr=8-2)

it was $230 this past weekend w/ free shipping but now its back to $250...

Omarvelous
04-05-2007, 10:40 AM

Oh yea def, metal better, didn't see/read that it was mentioned.

I was just going with the "CHEAPEST" method.

And yea, a table saw would win out, only thing is....but ripping 4x8s..... no easy task on budget table saws.

I got a table saw, and i went the 2x4 3/4" MDF route... worked in my case.