PDA

View Full Version : best way to fill cracks in poorly made boxes

k12ug
04-03-2007, 09:33 PM
my table saw ***** basically...
or its just a combo between me and the table saw.

PV Audio
04-03-2007, 09:34 PM
What kind of saw is it? And I find that silicone sealant works the best :D

supa_c
04-03-2007, 09:36 PM
MDF dust and glue, then silicone over that.

azbass
04-03-2007, 09:37 PM
resin

supa_c
04-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Resin with filler. Resin byitself just leaks out

PV Audio
04-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Why would you use wood filler for that purpose? It isn't meant to seal anything, just level out the surface. You could use silicone on the inside and wood filler on the outside, but it'll still look interesting.

supa_c
04-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Not everyone makes enclosure like you lemons

Scoobydoo
04-03-2007, 09:40 PM
strawberry preserves, not jelly, preserves

billabongcr
caulking!

its always done the job for me

k12ug
lol.... ryobi
the 100$ one you buy at HD
and i used silicon on mine..so i guess i went down the right rout.
the crack was like 1/5" lol down the whole board.

thanks everyone.

woodglue and saw dust sounds really cool...ill try that too.

billabongcr
04-03-2007, 09:43 PM
one of the gaps on my ssd box was pretty good size. table saw was buried so i used a jugsaw to cut the whole box. after the normal caulking all the seams it didnt take too much more to fill the gap. ghetto. but worked.

k12ug
04-03-2007, 09:53 PM
any one want to see my box? :yumyum:

k12ug
04-03-2007, 10:01 PM
http://i7.tinypic.com/4ietc92.jpg
http://i13.tinypic.com/43c3o0n.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/2pradl4.jpg
http://i5.tinypic.com/4h17h9k.jpg

im pretty much a pro

oxsign
04-03-2007, 10:04 PM
MDF dust and glue, then silicone over that.:laugh: I thought I was the only one that did that once. :suicide:

rlcowboy
04-03-2007, 10:07 PM
His question was what is the best way to fill cracks in a poorly made box? Well there many answers to that depending on just how poorly u made it,lol. If it's a small crack wod filler would do just fine. Also, how r u planning on finishing the box? I read on here yesterday some guy that claimed he was all that & a bag a chips when it comes to car audio was going to fiberglass over MDF, well that told me how smart he was right then,lol.See if u wanted to have ur box look & feel just like fiberglass u can buy some Low-Build Primmer & apply about 3 coats, sanding between all three. It will harden just like fiberglass & will form a hard shell that will fill ALL your cracks, but u should always seal up the inside around all the jionts with a LATEX based silicone, latex means u can clean up with water instead of making a bigger mess,lol! Now I take it the cracks u r refering to is actually huge gaps in-between the pieces of wood, where u put them together. If thats the case that tells me you don't have enough glue holding it together, glue is the most important thing that will hold a box together, see once the glue cures properly u would actally tear the wood before u would break the glue joints! Lots of glue should be used along ALL places where wood is being joined together. Now someone said use resin, well I would NEVER use that junk, it stinks and is not the best thing for the job. The absolute best thing to fill even big gaps in wood is something called "Durham's Water Putty"! U can get it Home Depot or Blowes & it comes in a can in a powder form that u mix with water then apply just like Bondo. This stuff will dry HARDER than even Bondo!! It will bond to the wood perfectly & u can sand it if needed. Just get some and put it all inside ur box after u seal it with caulk and it will take care of the cracks. You can get it in the paint dept. I even looked up the link for u so u can check it out. I have been a carpenter, interior trim,framing & cabinets,for over 20yrs now & have used this stuff many times. All the pros use it. Here is the link- http://www.waterputty.com/ Good luck & may the force be with you:fro:

Immacomputer
04-03-2007, 10:09 PM
It looks like something attacked it! It actually isn't too bad for your first build. I bet your problem with the saw is probably closer related to the table and your measurement skills. A nice right angle and multiple confirmation measurements with a reliable tape work pretty well for me. I don't trust the guide's label because I can't always look at it in the correct place. I do, however, trust a right angle measuring stick that goes to the inside of the blade.

Keep building enclosures and you will find a way that suits you the best.

k12ug
04-03-2007, 10:11 PM
His question was what is the best way to fill cracks in a poorly made box? Well there many answers to that depending on just how poorly u made it,lol. If it's a small crack wod filler would do just fine. Also, how r u planning on finishing the box? I read on here yesterday some guy that claimed he was all that & a bag a chips when it comes to car audio was going to fiberglass over MDF, well that told me how smart he was right then,lol.See if u wanted to have ur box look & feel just like fiberglass u can buy some Low-Build Primmer & apply about 3 coats, sanding between all three. It will harden just like fiberglass & will form a hard shell that will fill ALL your cracks, but u should always seal up the inside around all the jionts with a LATEX based silicone, latex means u can clean up with water instead of making a bigger mess,lol! Now I take it the cracks u r refering to is actually huge gaps in-between the pieces of wood, where u put them together. If thats the case that tells me you don't have enough glue holding it together, glue is the most important thing that will hold a box together, see once the glue cures properly u would actally tear the wood before u would break the glue joints! Lots of glue should be used along ALL places where wood is being joined together. Now someone said use resin, well I would NEVER use that junk, it stinks and is not the best thing for the job. The absolute best thing to fill even big gaps in wood is something called "Durham's Water Putty"! U can get it Home Depot or Blowes & it comes in a can in a powder form that u mix with water then apply just like Bondo. This stuff will dry HARDER than even Bondo!! It will bond to the wood perfectly & u can sand it if needed. Just get some and put it all inside ur box after u seal it with caulk and it will take care of the cracks. You can get it in the paint dept. I even looked up the link for u so u can check it out. I have been a carpenter, interior trim,framing & cabinets,for over 20yrs now & have used this stuff many times. All the pros use it. Here is the link- http://www.waterputty.com/ Good luck & may the force be with you:fro:

thanks for taking the time to give me all that advice.
i tihnk i t will help me out.

grassroots
04-03-2007, 10:13 PM
k12ug, don't give up, you're almost done with the sub cutout...

Immacomputer
04-03-2007, 10:13 PM
thanks for taking the time to give me all that advice.
i tihnk i t will help me out.

Here is some advice for the future: Ignore 98% of his posts. He is just as bad, if not worse, than cotjones. Although his post in this thread isn't far off.

k12ug
04-03-2007, 10:19 PM
It looks like something attacked it! It actually isn't too bad for your first build. I bet your problem with the saw is probably closer related to the table and your measurement skills. A nice right angle and multiple confirmation measurements with a reliable tape work pretty well for me. I don't trust the guide's label because I can't always look at it in the correct place. I do, however, trust a right angle measuring stick that goes to the inside of the blade.

Keep building enclosures and you will find a way that suits you the best.

http://i9.tinypic.com/2rc0c5f.jpg

i got this bad boy....so my measuring rocks! lol
but my table saw....it was more of my skill on the table....the kinda wobbled on the t-fence...lol

but my whole new idea.....on my cutting....im gonna build....
http://i12.tinypic.com/4c8hpxw.jpg

got the idea in that book. do you tihnk it will be as accurate if i build it perfect?

k12ug
04-03-2007, 10:20 PM
k12ug, don't give up, you're almost done with the sub cutout...

i was also bad at using bits....lol
broke 3!
waiting to order my fourth one. :)

maldecido33
04-03-2007, 10:25 PM
What kind of saw is it? And I find that silicone sealant works the best :D

Your on that kick tonight, huh?

Immacomputer
04-03-2007, 10:34 PM
http://i9.tinypic.com/2rc0c5f.jpg

i got this bad boy....so my measuring rocks! lol
but my table saw....it was more of my skill on the table....the kinda wobbled on the t-fence...lol

but my whole new idea.....on my cutting....im gonna build....
http://i12.tinypic.com/4c8hpxw.jpg

got the idea in that book. do you tihnk it will be as accurate if i build it perfect?
I would stick to figuring out how to use your table saw first. I burned a few pieces of wood my first time with a table saw but I have gotten better at keeping things against the fence. The best thing to do is keep the wood level and apply a force pushing down and towards the fence with one hand on the inside of the blade and use the other hand pushing slightly away from the blade after the wood has passed the blade on the outside. It's hard to describe in words but it has always worked for me.

What is the max length of your fence?

k12ug
04-03-2007, 10:35 PM
I would stick to figuring out how to use your table saw first. I burned a few pieces of wood my first time with a table saw but I have gotten better at keeping things against the fence. The best thing to do is keep the wood level and apply a force pushing down and towards the fence with one hand on the inside of the blade and use the other hand pushing slightly away from the blade after the wood has passed the blade on the outside. It's hard to describe in words but it has always worked for me.

What is the max length of your fence?

14" :)

i want to get this
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-BC50W-50-Inch-Commercial-Biesemeyer/dp/B0000EI96A/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6346610-3704836?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1175561319&sr=1-1

theCybe
04-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Durham's does rock. :fyi:

PV Audio
04-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Do not post again until you learn to use either punctuation, or English as a whole.

PV Audio
04-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Your on that kick tonight, huh?:confused: The **** you talkin about?

k12ug
04-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Durham's does rock. :fyi:

sarcastic?

ruger
04-03-2007, 11:00 PM
i use titebond 2 for gluing the box together and gorilla glue
to fix any messups, it expands like foam as it dries =).

rlcowboy
04-04-2007, 02:52 AM
Wow the pics did'nt load before I posted the above reply, allthough the water putty is still ur best bet and will be the easiest to use BUT if u would have used a LATEX based caulk instead of regular silicone u probably would'nt have such a mess. Man u really need to clean all that slicone up! I would'nt paint over all that mess, it will look like crapola! Why did'nt u wipe off the excess glue? Ok well at this point u need to clean out the port from all that silicone, u should have paintd it black before putting it together,the port I mean. After u clean up the port I would get some 2 1/2" drywall screws & put them about every four to five inches, u need to pre-drill with a small drill bit first so that u can counter sink the screws, then mix up the water putty and spread it EVENLY over the joints all over the outside of the box, then sand after it has had time to set up & harden, not untill then!! After u have done all this then u should have a box that is ready to cover. Good luck, if I can help u n any way just shoot me a PM. Later.

jmanpc
04-04-2007, 02:55 AM
shoulda waited for me to build a box for ya ;)

rlcowboy
04-04-2007, 03:04 AM
Hey PV I will post ANY time I please, and there is nothing you can or will do about it little man! That would be a any with a capital A! I was trying to help someone out! I don't claim to be a spelling master or english professor but I don't try to help someone out unless I know what I'm talking about! If there is something I have said that has sent someone in the wrong direction or even suggested it then by ALL MEANS call me on it big man,untill then if all u come up with is to bring up my spelling or puntuation, well u get the picture!

snb778
04-04-2007, 03:30 AM
MDF dust and glue, then silicone over that.

The MDF glue and dust didnt work for me...No I didnt put silicon over it, but it just flat out did not work...I couldnt even explain to you why

supa_c
04-04-2007, 04:19 AM
Probably because its MDF dust and glue ;)

k12ug
04-04-2007, 08:32 AM
shoulda waited for me to build a box for ya ;)

i like the learning experience.
lol

but i know no doubt your would have been a lot better than mine.

PV Audio
04-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Wow the pics did'nt load before I posted the above reply, allthough the water putty is still ur best bet and will be the easiest to use BUT if u would have used a LATEX based caulk instead of regular silicone u probably would'nt have such a mess. Man u really need to clean all that slicone up! I would'nt paint over all that mess, it will look like crapola! Why did'nt u wipe off the excess glue? Ok well at this point u need to clean out the port from all that silicone, u should have paintd it black before putting it together,the port I mean. After u clean up the port I would get some 2 1/2" drywall screws & put them about every four to five inches, u need to pre-drill with a small drill bit first so that u can counter sink the screws, then mix up the water putty and spread it EVENLY over the joints all over the outside of the box, then sand after it has had time to set up & harden, not untill then!! After u have done all this then u should have a box that is ready to cover. Good luck, if I can help u n any way just shoot me a PM. Later.:uhoh: :uhoh: Don't ever recommend that, the MOST you should use is 1 5/8, but even I now use 1 1/4".