PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice (installing comps)

captshiznit
04-03-2007, 07:33 PM
I have bought these component speakers

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3967.html

I have a peugeot 106 1996 p reg model. Now considering ive never installed speakers before i was wondering what else would i need to install these speakers such as wires etc? what kind of wires? would i need connectors for the speakers? because it doesnt seem they come with wiring (not from pic anyway) and of course im going to need it to connect tweeter and speaker to splitter.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product_list/c_path/48_215_301/spd/power---speaker-cable.html

List of speaker wires here.

I do really need help on this, any advice or links to websites which may give me some help on installing me speakers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit: Also suggestions for amps bearing in mind im not considering on installing a sub.... just to supply my speakers with cleaner power than the headunit power alone.

azbass
04-03-2007, 07:37 PM
id have it taken to a car audio shop and done there.

captshiznit
04-03-2007, 08:42 PM
id have it taken to a car audio shop and done there.

Not really an option, in the UK here im guessing something like that would be **** expensive!.... plus people install their own speakers all time id rather have satisfaction of doing it myself.

azbass
04-03-2007, 08:46 PM
well you kinda need to know how to take your door panels off. then look how your stock speakers are mounted. you will then have to mod or fab up a custom ring to mount the mid to that factory location, then find a place for the tweeter and the crossovers. you can use the stock speaker wire as an input for the crossovers, then you will need speaker wire to run from teh crossovers to the speakers will you be running these speakers off an amp? or the HU?

captshiznit
04-03-2007, 08:53 PM
well you kinda need to know how to take your door panels off. then look how your stock speakers are mounted. you will then have to mod or fab up a custom ring to mount the mid to that factory location, then find a place for the tweeter and the crossovers. you can use the stock speaker wire as an input for the crossovers, then you will need speaker wire to run from teh crossovers to the speakers will you be running these speakers off an amp? or the HU?

Ive taken the door panels off before and removed my stock speakers for inspection (when i was measuring them to find the size) thats not a problem. The crossover i would mount in the door or under the dash, the tweeters definitly will go under the dash board.

To begin with ill run these off the headunit an alpine 9855R. Then maybe later on get an amp. But that is a far off time and id probably make another thread to ask about it.

WillyG4444
04-03-2007, 09:35 PM
I suggest searching on here for questions similar to yours and search for all the different parts of the installation process. Mounting them, wiring them, sound deadening etc. Or google something there must be like a "car audio installation for dummies" page or something hehe.

captshiznit
04-03-2007, 10:14 PM
I suggest searching on here for questions similar to yours and search for all the different parts of the installation process. Mounting them, wiring them, sound deadening etc. Or google something there must be like a "car audio installation for dummies" page or something hehe.

Well i know about all that sort of stuff mounting etc and sound deadening. what confuses me is the type of wire... i guess ill just buy standard speaker wire and connect it all up.

Sunfire01
04-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah, do at least 16AWG wire or smaller (12g is bigger than 16), but good quality 16 will do. If your running off HU right now, then use the wire already run.

When you install an amp you'd run new speaker wire from the amp to the door, then use that instead of the original wire.

I like running my own wire and doing the install, it makes it more personal and you can make touches on the system ppl at a shop wouldn't.

Have fun, and tell us how it goes!!

captshiznit
04-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Yeah, do at least 16AWG wire or smaller (12g is bigger than 16), but good quality 16 will do. If your running off HU right now, then use the wire already run.

When you install an amp you'd run new speaker wire from the amp to the door, then use that instead of the original wire.

I like running my own wire and doing the install, it makes it more personal and you can make touches on the system ppl at a shop wouldn't.

Have fun, and tell us how it goes!!

Also its a **** load cheaper! cuz in america it might not cost alot to get it fitted at audio shop here in uk it would be a heck of alot more.

krisfnbz
04-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Use 16 awg wire or bigger...you dont really NEED connectors, but it makes the install better. Read your manual about exactly how to configure your speakers if you dont already know so. Its pretty much straight forward if your installing off HU power, intstalling off an amp is a little bit more tricky, but not so bad.

captshiznit
04-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Use 16 awg wire or bigger...you dont really NEED connectors, but it makes the install better. Read your manual about exactly how to configure your speakers if you dont already know so. Its pretty much straight forward if your installing off HU power, intstalling off an amp is a little bit more tricky, but not so bad.

Thanks yeh ive checked manual for correct wiring and the 9855R manual. I was just confused about what wire to get but now i know ill probably get round to it soon.

Just wondering whats differences in say 16guage and 14guage wire?

XanderMoser
04-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Just wondering whats differences in say 16guage and 14guage wire?

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166038