PDA

View Full Version : I think I bought some badd speakers !!!

Pro_built7
04-02-2007, 03:06 PM
hey guys im pretty new to car audio, but not to cars in general, anyway i jsut bought 4 new Hifonics 6.5" Zeus 3 way speakers for my camaro, and i noticed even though they are rated 75rms and 375 peak they still distort when i turn them up just like the stock speakers did, my head unit is a lanzar VBD1000MP3 and rated for 200W what do you think

skadude016
04-02-2007, 03:07 PM
your clipping the head unit. if you get an amp dedicated just for those speakers. they will be louder and wont distort. as long as you set the amp up correectly :)

DejaWiz
04-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Probably has to do with your HU. A lot of cheaper HU's will distort the signal at a much lower volume than a quality HU. Not trying to insult you, it's just the way it tends to be. Are you running with the volume at about 60% or more?

goodstuff
04-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Get a new H/U and a four channel amp. Stay away from Lanzar...

skadude016
04-02-2007, 03:11 PM
or he could not even use the H.U. for power ;)

goodstuff
04-02-2007, 04:14 PM
^yeah that would be your best bet....especially if you keep running that same H/U...

Pro_built7
04-02-2007, 04:27 PM
thanks for the help guys, what exactly is clipping ? it seems to distort at about 30 out of 39 on volume. i was thinking on getting a 300 watt 4 channel hifonics amp to amp them, logically it doesn't seem like adding more power would fix the problem tho, but idk much so let me know what u guys think thanks !

Pro_built7
04-02-2007, 04:29 PM
^yeah that would be your best bet....especially if you keep running that same H/U...

ya man i dont really want to buy a new h/u i got this one for 50$, just want a good system, what do you think about 2 10in square hifonics brutus subs that are 500rms x 2 in the hatch of a camaro ?

jmanpc
04-02-2007, 04:32 PM
the issue at hand is that the internal amp on the head unit is sending a terribly distorted signal to the speakers, so the music comes out sounding like poo. if you send them nice, clean power via an amp, it'll sound nice and clean until you reach the thermal or mechanical capabilities of that speaker.

goodstuff
04-02-2007, 04:48 PM
ya man i dont really want to buy a new h/u i got this one for 50$, just want a good system

Your not going to get anything close to "good" if you stick with that crappy H/U....not trying to flame you... but if you start with a bad signal your going to have nothing but bad signal at the other end...you could have the best of the best for speakers and amps and it's not really going to matter... if you hook them up to your anus it's still gonna sound like ****.

jmanpc
04-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Your not going to get anything close to "good" if you stick with that crappy H/U....not trying to flame you... but if you start with a bad signal your going to have nothing but bad signal at the other end...you could have the best of the best for speakers and amps and it's not really going to matter... if you hook them up to your anus it's still gonna sound like ****.

:naughty: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :naughty:

DejaWiz
04-02-2007, 04:57 PM
if you hook them up to your anus it's still gonna sound like Lanzar.

Fixed. ;) :laugh:

Pro_built7
04-02-2007, 05:06 PM
hmm, my h/u is practically brand new and it sounds fine i think, im not sure how to "judge" weather its good or bad tho seeing as im not that experienced with this stuff. would you guys recommend amping the doors first ?

my bad guys, i meant doors not subs

Blove1991
04-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Get the components set straight first......Then go to sub bass

DejaWiz
04-02-2007, 05:24 PM
hmm, my h/u is practically brand new and it sounds fine i think, im not sure how to "judge" weather its good or bad tho seeing as im not that experienced with this stuff. would you guys recommend amping the subs first ?

If you say it sounds like crap, then it sounds like crap. ;) It's all subjective.

You can keep your current HU, but there are some things you'll want to know about it:

I. At what volume does it start distorting the signal through the internal amps? (Most HU's can do 70-80% of max volume. Need an o'scope for this and the following.)
II. At what volume does it start distorting the signal through the pre-outs?
III. What kind of pre-outs does it possess? (Lanzar only lists it as "RCA Preamp out" and there is no manual available on their site.) If there is only 1 pair, then you'll probably want to look into a 3-way crossover.

If you can determine all three of the above, then installing and tuning an amp for your comps will be a lot easier. And you'll know the volume limitations of your HU before distortion occurs so you don't send such a signal to the amp which will then pass that to the speakers.