PDA

View Full Version : 1st Midranges. Advice/suggestions wanted.

bikinpunk
04-02-2007, 02:02 PM
So, I'm going to buy my first set of midranges. First off, I plan on having these play between 300-4000 or maybe higher.

Restrictions:
3"
$150 Budget
100w @ 4 ohms x 2
I have about 1 liter (.034 cubic feet) to work with.
Sealed/Vented, doesn't matter.
Music Tastes: VERY Broad. Pop, rap, country, easy listening, etc

I'm looking into the Seas Vifa TG9 right now, but it looks like they need more space than I have.

They'll be going near the A-pillar along with the tweeter.

I'd really like some suggestions here on what else I should look at. I'd also appreciate some feedback on playing frequency. My rainbows will be staying for a while, so if anyone has experience with using them as mid-bass & tweeter I'd appreciate that input, too.

phyphoestilic
04-02-2007, 02:06 PM
If ur just running midrange/tweeter/sub then u need a midrange that plays down to around 100hz. Since a sub isnt's suppose to really play above that anyways. Good general X-point for tweets to mids would be around 3khz. Be alot better if u could run a 4 way with mid/woofer/tweet + subwoofer. That way u can cross the mid at around 500hz and run woofer from 100-500.

bikinpunk
04-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Be alot better if u could run a 4 way with mid/woofer/tweet + subwoofer. That way u can cross the mid at around 500hz and run woofer from 100-500.

That's what I'm talking about.

3-way setup: I'll be running mid-bass in doors, midrange & tweeter up top. Sub in trunk.

;)

djman37
04-02-2007, 03:34 PM
be pimpin'
http://www.soniccraft.com/Drivers/Accuton/c796.htm <-- crap, outta your budget.

you could get the diamond tweets at $2600 each.

Flipx99
04-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Does it matter dome or cone?

alphakenny1
04-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Does it matter dome or cone?

actually it should as not too many domes can play down to 300hz. i think the atc domes and dls domes are the only ones i know of that can go down that low but thats still pushing it.

if you can get a pair of legatia mids used, i believe they go around for that price. retail is $250. tg9's are also a nice choice.

Flipx99
04-02-2007, 04:03 PM
I was thinking DLS when i said that. eD sells the lowest series a bit out of your price range.

I wanna try the legatias though.

iamamp3pimp
04-02-2007, 04:10 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=285-020

i have them playing down to 250, and they are absurdly nice, and they get very loud.

yes they are 8 ohm drivers though, and the physical size is huge, but they are well within your price range.

bikinpunk
04-02-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure it matters.

It'll be mounted up top and can easily be on-axis, or off-axis. From what I understand, dome's aren't good off-axis, but that doesn't matter here. I'd like to cut it off pretty high if I can (> 4khz) but have it play fairly low. It's really all relative to the driver's capabilities I suppose.

I'm fortunate here since I can choose off or on-axis. If I HAD to pick, I'd probably say Dome, but for not reason other than I like the idea of on-axis.

Hopefully someone can embellish on the characteristics of dome vs. cone.

?

bikinpunk
04-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Wow, 3 replies while I was typing mine.

I e-mailed Scott Buwhalda (sp?) about pricing on the L3s and he said $249 shipped. That's out of my price range by a lot.

Jlace
04-02-2007, 08:00 PM
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/

They have a 2.5 mid, Rainbow maybe. It fits in the top of the door in a BMW 5 series. No clue on price, but they are "rainbows" or equals I think.

Flipx99
04-02-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure it matters.

It'll be mounted up top and can easily be on-axis, or off-axis. From what I understand, dome's aren't good off-axis, but that doesn't matter here. I'd like to cut it off pretty high if I can (> 4khz) but have it play fairly low. It's really all relative to the driver's capabilities I suppose.

I'm fortunate here since I can choose off or on-axis. If I HAD to pick, I'd probably say Dome, but for not reason other than I like the idea of on-axis.

Hopefully someone can embellish on the characteristics of dome vs. cone.

?

from my understanding, domes are better off-axis, cones on-axis

Thieroff
04-02-2007, 10:52 PM
I know this is way way under budget, but the Aura 2"

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=1172329.14308&pid=102

It's a low cost alternative, and really really doesn't have much distortion, even turned up playing full range.

They don't require much power, and would be well suited to a 1 liter sealed enclosure, or IB.

Rear mount on them too, which is quite nice.

I have a pair here, and they are actually impressive

CT

iamamp3pimp
04-03-2007, 02:45 PM
My dayton Domes are much better on axis.