PDA

View Full Version : w6s box ?

2crunk
04-01-2007, 10:12 PM
i have a pair of old school w6s(not the v somethings)and plan on building a ported box for them.i have built a couple boxes before but all were sealed. i was wondering if anyone could teel me what kind of airspace i need or tell me the dimensions and size of port for the box.or a blueprint would be even better.thanks in advance.:rolleyes:

helotaxi
04-02-2007, 11:03 AM
What size are the subs?

2crunk
04-02-2007, 04:29 PM
10 inch

helotaxi
04-02-2007, 05:31 PM
They want a BIG box to play flat. Max flat is a 6.5cf box tuned to 21hz for a pair. What type of music do you typically listen to?

Those subs really want a sealed box, FWIW.

2crunk
04-02-2007, 09:25 PM
mostly listen to rap.if i wanted to go with a single and a sealed box would it be better/

Immacomputer
04-02-2007, 09:50 PM
I have a single 10 w6AE model which is pretty similar and does well in about 1.75 cubic feet per sub tuned around 30hz.

rlcowboy
04-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Umm. if u go to JL Audio's web site and call thier tech support number they will be more than glad to give you those numbers. You can even give them your deminsions of your area & they will make u a bluprint of the box, ported or sealed, and then e-mail them to you a couple hrs later at the latest. I've had them draw some up for me many times. Let them know u r using the OLD drivers, not the d-4's, the current sq subs. Remember, a ported enclosure is no where as forgiving as a sealed enclosure is, meaning if u don't get the size exactly right it's gonna sound like S#!t!!!
Now if it were me, and I'm just this big stickler on doing things only once, and being that the manufactuer will actually draw up the blue print for me, well I would go with what JL gave me every time! I mean who is going to know better than JL themselves? Don't know why anybody would want to put a W6 in a ported enclosure in the first place, cause it defeats the purpose in my own special opinion, but if that's what I were going to do then I would go with JL's advice, I even went ahead and looked up the number u need to call. OK JL Audio's Tech support # is 954-443-1100. See not only is thier products some of the best on the market today but thier tech support is just as good!:fro:

Immacomputer
04-03-2007, 11:11 AM
I mean who is going to know better than JL themselves?

The listener knows what they want FAR more than JL does. JL does NOT know what type of frequency response I want and they do NOT know what kind of vehicle I'm putting the sub in.