PDA

View Full Version : Can your trunk be a box?

Meatwad1355
04-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Can i reinforce the back of my rear seat, and use the trunk as a box?

I have a 91 civic sedan, and i took apart the back seat, theres a thin metal layer basically holding it together, if i replace that with wood, and place the subwoofer in it, will the trunk work as a box?

Ty for help,
ask if i didnt explain well enough.

traksta15
04-01-2007, 04:24 PM
I've heard of people doin it using their rear deck, just gotta seal off the trunk 100%

Meatwad1355
04-01-2007, 04:42 PM
??? what do you mean seal off the trunk? isnt it already sealed?

ya im basing it off the fact that your regular speakers use the trunk as a box, so why not ;)

PV Audio
04-01-2007, 04:45 PM
What you're talking about is called infinite baffle. Yes, you can do it, but the speaker must be made for such applications. Otherwise, you're just going to overwork the speaker and it'll be useless.

mikey060
04-01-2007, 04:46 PM
that would just be an IB setup

edit: too slow

PV Audio
04-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Gotcha. :)

Woodmister
04-01-2007, 04:47 PM
'regular speakers' or just speakers in general mounted to the rear deck dont rely on the trunk for any noise, they are just mounted there. they would sound the same if they were sitting in your lap...generally.

Subs, unless free air subs, do infact rely on some sort of box to produce the sound they are meant to.

Sorry I dont wanna explain it all, but most likely you'll be having to build yourself a box, ported or sealed, check the stickies...

Meatwad1355
04-01-2007, 04:48 PM
So the subwoofer needs an enclosure for it to sound good?
and whats an IB?(edit: infinite baffle**)

im just working with what i got, and i thought it would be a cool idea, and maybe save me a bit of money, if i just put the speakers into the back seat, i havent seen it done before.. so i wanted to know if there will be problems from the setup, and thats maybe why others dont do it.

edit:
What kind of speakers are "free air" speakers?

JimJ
04-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Infinite baffle is a term used when the enclosure volume, whether it's a regular sealed box, or the entire trunk, or the attic of a house, is over four times the Vas of the speaker. Ideally, it's 10 times over Vas, but you won't likely get that out of a car's trunk.

Saving money is not usually the motivation for going IB. It will get you better SQ provided your subs can do well in it, and provide a very good frequency response...but be quieter overall when compared to a regular ported enclosure.

Meatwad1355
04-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Back Seat Installation
The baffle board may also be mounted behind the back seats (usually folding) instead of under the rear deck. This is often easier and less expensive than cutting the rear deck and will not require any modifications to the existing deck panel.
(http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxes1.asp)