PDA

View Full Version : Definitive Supercube III

vpkb1998
04-01-2007, 02:37 AM
Picked up this sub from Best Buy tonight, was $699.00 but got a $100.00 off because the Magnolia's Mgr was a former co-worker. I had the Speakercraft Bass X-12 but the ****** amp went out.

Initially I was indecisive between the Klipsch RW-12 (12"), Martin Logan Dynamo, and the Boston Acoustic BX6. Finally after reading some reviews, I was set on the Dynamo. When I went to make my purchase, I was immediately told the ML unit is not a good choice because the unit was made to work with ML speakers and that sub timing is too fast and would be out of phase with my in-ceiling surround speakers. I was then recommended the Supercube. At first I was skeptical becaue of the size of the driver (7 1/2"), but I was intrigued by the power rating, 650 RMS!! Thats more than what I had in my Bass X-12 (250RMS :-().

To make the long story short, I got it all hooked up and was amazed by the output, very powerful and clean. Here's a comparison picture:

http://vpkb.onlinestoragesolution.com/Picssssss/IMG_5754.jpg

Death By Bass
04-01-2007, 02:43 AM
Picked up this sub from Best Buy tonight, was $699.00 but got a $100.00 off because the Magnolia's Mgr was a former co-worker. I had the Speakercraft Bass X-12 but the ****** amp went out.

Initially I was indecisive between the Klipsch RW-12 (12"), Martin Logan Dynamo, and the Boston Acoustic BX6. Finally after reading some reviews, I was set on the Dynamo. When I went to make my purchase, I was immediately told the ML is not a good choice because the unit was made to work with ML speakers and that sub timing is too fast for my in-ceiling surround speakers. I was then recommended the Supercube. At first I was skeptical becaue of the size of the driver (7 1/2"), but I was intrigued by the power rating, 650 RMS!! Thats more than what I had in my Bass X-12 (250RMS :-().

To make the long story short, I got it all hooked up and was amazed by the output, very powerful and clean. Here's a comparison picture:

wow, you got ripped off bad hey... should have just made your own for like 200 bucks...

see the bit in bold in your post? that makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm guessing they made alot more profit off the unit they recommended you, and thats the one and only reason they told you that bs.

1loudsuv
04-01-2007, 03:09 AM
wow, you got ripped off bad hey... should have just made your own for like 200 bucks...

I'm guessing they made alot more profit off the unit they recommended you, and thats the one and only reason they told you that bs.

i bet you cannot make anything sound as good and loud in the same size package as the def tech

i own the 7001s which have 1-10" sub and 1500 watts and 2-10 radiators per tower and omg its loud *** hell but they dont get loud loud loud in teh 20 hertz range. ive heard all the lines from the 7000 to the 7006 and all their subs and all of them are impressive but the ones that really impress me for the price are the 7002- 1-12" sub and hte radiators and a bunch of mids and tweets and they get loud and sound very clean for about 1 grand each.

vpkb1998
04-01-2007, 03:24 AM

where can you get a 650 watt RMS plated amp for $200.00? i am also done with all this diy crap, some people have skills and some don't, i'm glad to admit that i don't

anyway, i'm extremely happy with this sub

Death By Bass
04-01-2007, 03:26 AM
i bet you cannot make anything sound as good and loud in the same size package as the def tech

i own the 7001s which have 1-10" sub and 1500 watts and 2-10 radiators per tower and omg its loud *** hell but they dont get loud loud loud in teh 20 hertz range. ive heard all the lines from the 7000 to the 7006 and all their subs and all of them are impressive but the ones that really impress me for the price are the 7002- 1-12" sub and hte radiators and a bunch of mids and tweets and they get loud and sound very clean for about 1 grand each.

...clearly it doesn't even need to be that small!!!!!

if it was bigger, it would be cheaper, and louder... so, why make it so small? lol

vpkb1998
04-01-2007, 03:43 AM

if it was bigger, it would be cheaper, and louder... so, why make it so small? lol

do i want these sitting in my house?

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/3065/50763206vn6.jpg

of course not! that's why i went with the in-wall speakers

you don't understand, we pay a price for compact and quality

if i wanted muddy, boomy and loudness, there were other choices

Death By Bass
04-01-2007, 03:45 AM
you could have gone with a 10 or 12inch, 200 - 400watt sub, in a ported enclosure, with a plate amp, had more SPL, just as good SQ, half the cost, and at the sacrifice for an enclosure thats 2 or 3 times the size, which, in your application clearly wouldn't have mattered.

some people are just born stupid. you are one of them.

vpkb1998
04-01-2007, 03:48 AM
you could have gone with a 10 or 12inch, 200 - 400watt sub, in a ported enclosure, with a plate amp, had more SPL, just as good SQ, half the cost, and at the sacrifice for an enclosure thats 2 or 3 times the size, which, in your application clearly wouldn't have mattered.

oh, touche, sticks and stones may break my bones but your words made me wiser

no wonder you got banned, so much air space in your head, i'm surprised you haven't attemped to mount a 15inch sub for SPL

Death By Bass
04-01-2007, 03:52 AM
oh, touche, sticks and stones may break my bones but your words made me wiser

no wonder you got banned, so much air space in your head, i'm surprised you haven't attemped to mount a 15inch sub for SPL

lol, more dollars than sense I assume :)

and possibly drug abuse resulting in brain damage?

1loudsuv
04-01-2007, 03:57 AM

ok find me someone who would make a box for about whats left over after buying a 200 watt plate amp and sub and paint to give it roughly 15 coats (which is what def tech usually uses)

will you even have any money left over for a box? some stuff needs to be diy but thats mostly for car audio not home audio no one with a nice house wants some huge ugly thing in their room...

vpkb1998
04-01-2007, 03:59 AM
ok find me someone who would make a box for about whats left over after buying a 200 watt plate amp and sub and paint to give it roughly 15 coats (which is what def tech usually uses)

will you even have any money left over for a box? some stuff needs to be diy but thats mostly for car audio not home audio no one with a nice house wants some huge ugly thing in their room...

thank you!

1loudsuv
04-01-2007, 04:01 AM

im guessing your single or at least no married or will ever be married.

btw so bigger means louder? so why not just make some holes in your wall and stick some 15"s in their and use another room as the enclosure then?

Death By Bass
04-01-2007, 04:02 AM
lol, ah, clearly in this case, appearance doesn't matter... who's going to be looking at the little weird looking black box sitting in the corner? lol

Death By Bass
04-01-2007, 04:04 AM
im guessing your single or at least no married or will ever be married.

btw so bigger means louder? so why not just make some holes in your wall and stick some 15"s in their and use another room as the enclosure then?

thats actually a perfectly logical thing to do, if you have the woofers that suit the application.

I'm guessing you haven't seen the pics of the guy with like eight 18inch woofers, mounted freeair, so the back of them is OUTSIDE the house... covered up ofcourse, unless they are in use (and its not raining)

1loudsuv
04-01-2007, 04:10 AM
thats actually a perfectly logical thing to do, if you have the woofers that suit the application.

I'm guessing you haven't seen the pics of the guy with like eight 18inch woofers, mounted freeair, so the back of them is OUTSIDE the house... covered up ofcourse, unless they are in use (and its not raining)

ive seen a couple actually lol but from what i heard from them its that those kind of setups dont beat (4-15"s 3600watts) an svs ultra 2 which is only 2-12s and 1000 watts by much. its more for the kind of guy who wants to say looky what i have, me i like the stealth look. i have my ht setup in my bedroom and people are always asking me where are the subs :) they always think under the bed and i dont have jack their just in the towers :)

btw the way i look at it is you can only talk ***** about someones setup if you have something that rivals their so put up with some pix, i never know i might like what i se :)

Death By Bass
04-01-2007, 04:13 AM
ive seen a couple actually lol but from what i heard from them its that those kind of setups dont beat (4-15"s 3600watts) an svs ultra 2 which is only 2-12s and 1000 watts by much. its more for the kind of guy who wants to say looky what i have, me i like the stealth look. i have my ht setup in my bedroom and people are always asking me where are the subs :) they always think under the bed and i dont have jack their just in the towers :)

btw the way i look at it is you can only talk ***** about someones setup if you have something that rivals their so put up with some pix, i never know i might like what i se :)

I have folded horns... and Peerless/Seas fronts...

and I'm not posting pics, because appearance doesn't matter... :)

isn't it better to get a great sound, from something that looks crap, that you made yourself, than decent sound, from something you spent $1000 on, looks good, but arent even happy with?

adam71
04-01-2007, 04:18 AM

isn't it better to get a great sound, from something that looks crap, that you made yourself, than decent sound, from something you spent $1000 on, looks good, but arent even happy with?

You make it sound like anything that has nice appearance MUST sound like ****. I totally disagree with that. I have NO diy in my home and have great sound.

1loudsuv
04-01-2007, 04:20 AM

me i rather have both looks and sound quality. if you think you have more knowledge then a bussines thats been around longer then you have well best of luck to your dreams :P and i didnt spend $1000 i spent $3,400 for my 3 front speakers...and im more then happy with them, well i lie i need more bass in the 20 hertz range and its on its way :yumyum: :naughty:

Death By Bass
04-01-2007, 04:23 AM
me i rather have both looks and sound quality. if you think you have more knowledge then a bussines thats been around longer then you have well best of luck to your dreams :P and i didnt spend $1000 i spent $3,400 for my 3 front speakers...and im more then happy with them, well i lie i need more bass in the 20 hertz range and its on its way :yumyum: :naughty:

thats just f*cking stupid, and you know it.

Eugenics
04-01-2007, 04:25 AM
a DIY sub isn't really that much of a bargain when you consider all the supplys and tools he'll have to buy. Especially when you figure in that he'll probably never use them again.

Why are you bringing up DIY stuff anyway? Thats like telling someone who bought a Z06 that he could've just gotten a nobel, i mean they're faster...

so?

adam71
04-01-2007, 04:27 AM
thats just f*cking stupid, and you know it.

Why? Because you disagree?? I guess you would rather NO ONE spend any money on their hobbies then?? He can spend any amount he wants on his system. What some see as too much, others see as a budget system. Its all about personal tastes and budgets. The sooner you learn this the better. There is NO need to insult other member's intelligence either.

1loudsuv
04-01-2007, 04:27 AM
a DIY sub isn't really that much of a bargain when you consider all the supplys and tools he'll have to buy. Especially when you figure in that he'll probably never use them again.

Why are you bringing up DIY stuff anyway? Thats like telling someone who bought a Z06 that he could've just gotten a nobel, i mean they're faster...

so?

or a pinto with a 454 blown engine so what if it goes fast but will you get as much behind in a pinto as in a vet?

1loudsuv
04-01-2007, 04:32 AM
Why? Because you disagree?? I guess you would rather NO ONE spend any money on their hobbies then?? He can spend any amount he wants on his system. What some see as too much, others see as a budget system. Its all about personal tastes and budgets. The sooner you learn this the better. There is NO need to insult other member's intelligence either.

dang man this just made me feel bad :( me talking ish about the guy on the other topic aobut him geting a jbl sub :( im sorry man if your reading it after watching dbb act the same way i dunno what i was thinking. hopefully dbb will open his eyes and notice that if someone is happy with what they just bought let it be. could he have a diy that is better? probably so. but is it convenient to go through all the trouble if you dont have the time and tools? not at all..

IamDeMan
04-01-2007, 08:03 AM
ML unit is not a good choice because the unit was made to work with ML speakers and that sub timing is too fast and would be out of phase with my in-ceiling surround speakersum ok.

I am not going to say you made a bad choice on subs, as I haven't heard it or the others you aditioned. I don know that this line is a load of bullshit. Timing of the bass is dictated by the **** program material. Only a processor of sorts can play timing tricks, not a sub. Now it is possible to have a sub to far out of phase with the mains though. However, any sub worth its weight has phase adjustment, making it a moot point.

Enjoy your purchase.

IamDeMan
04-01-2007, 08:18 AM
lol, ah, clearly in this case, appearance doesn't matter... who's going to be looking at the little weird looking black box sitting in the corner? lol

My wife. Since she can make or break me, I tend to try and make compromises with her in life. To her saving a couple hundred isn't worth breaking the aesthetics of her decorating. I however got very lucky, my wife loved the way the attic IB was not in the room and very much hidden. I enjoy the output and response :)

docutech
04-01-2007, 11:39 AM

Nice sub. You will enjoy it.

vpkb1998
04-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Nice sub. You will enjoy it.

thanks man

it's a good thing the money was spent to satisfy me and also to benefit those who are also troubled with subs decision

vpkb1998
04-01-2007, 01:44 PM

here i'll post a picture for him

now what would you guys rather have

the definitve or this pimping one?

http://cklone.com/diy_speakers/ISOUgly1.jpg

i would hate for a girl to be engaged with this guy, why get her a diamond when you have rhine stones, sparkle the same

JimJ
04-01-2007, 02:27 PM
For me, going DIY was a necessity...I couldn't afford $3500 for a set of amplifiers like I wanted, so it was time to heat up the soldering iron :)

Likewise for the speakers, I didn't feel like paying $1800 from Cain & Cain.

But I'm nitpicky about appearance...probably to a point where I shouldn't be...

1loudsuv
04-01-2007, 02:35 PM

i would hate for a girl to be engaged with this guy, why get her a diamond when you have rhine stones, sparkle the same

no freaking way is that his???? wow hahaha

i dont care how it sounds but if i had that instead of "wows" ill get "hahas" and allot of ear ringing from my freinds LOL even from my girl

ps i can bet money that the def tech will sound cleaner then that monster and probably even louder LOL

vpkb1998
04-01-2007, 05:04 PM
For me, going DIY was a necessity...I couldn't afford $3500 for a set of amplifiers like I wanted, so it was time to heat up the soldering iron :)

and that's absolutely fine, i've done many diy stuff myself; at least you're not being immature about other people's post

vpkb1998
04-01-2007, 05:09 PM

i dont care how it sounds but if i had that instead of "wows" ill get "hahas" and allot of ear ringing from my freinds LOL even from my girl

ps i can bet money that the def tech will sound cleaner then that monster and probably even louder LOL

yes, and again it has 650 watts, not just peak but RMS

anyway, i just wanted to give my informal review on this little buger, hopefully it would help the next joe decide on a compact sub

Audio Junkies
04-01-2007, 05:19 PM

Did you build your own amps Jim?

PV Audio
04-01-2007, 05:59 PM

will you even have any money left over for a box? some stuff needs to be diy but thats mostly for car audio not home audio no one with a nice house wants some huge ugly thing in their room...Probably the most ignorant thing I've ever heard on this forum.

PV Audio
04-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Regardless, nice purchase, but anyone who thinks that DIY is worthless for home has no idea as to what they're talking about. There is nothing greater than spending weeks to months on something and then firing it up, and being so pleased not just by the quality, but because you can say that you made it yourself. People who come with the argument that companies who have been around forever must know more don't understand the DIY crowd at all. It is very unlikely that any serious DIYer has far less knowledge than someone at sony throwing together a particle board HTIB.

Mr. C
04-01-2007, 06:03 PM

:rotflol: :rotflol: WTF?????? :rotflol: :rotflol:

I'll never believe THAT can sound as good and as clean as a Supercube III.

Very nice choice in sub. DBB needs to get a clue.

PV Audio
04-01-2007, 06:07 PM

ps i can bet money that the def tech will sound cleaner then that monster and probably even louder LOLI'm the last person to agree with DBB, and I'll even say this. The way you're acting makes you seem shallow as all get out. You buy a definitive subwoofer for the sound and the looks, yes? No, you are only buying it for the looks. It's the science behind it that makes it important. If you can understand how to get the results from something expensive, making it look nice and fancy is the least of your concerns. If you can do both, then great. But if all you think of is "I don't care how it sounds, it needs to look good", then you don't actually appreciate the sound. Until you know what's going on behind the expensive lacquer, the finish is 5% of the deal.

IamDeMan
04-01-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm the last person to agree with DBB, and I'll even say this. The way you're acting makes you seem shallow as all get out. You buy a definitive subwoofer for the sound and the looks, yes? No, you are only buying it for the looks. It's the science behind it that makes it important. If you can understand how to get the results from something expensive, making it look nice and fancy is the least of your concerns. If you can do both, then great. But if all you think of is "I don't care how it sounds, it needs to look good", then you don't actually appreciate the sound. Until you know what's going on behind the expensive lacquer, the finish is 5% of the deal.
Sound and looks are important. Period. If both weren't important, then these top shelf people wouldn't have to go to such great lengths in design in order to stand out enough to make sales. To a person with the tools and know-how it will never seem worth it. But to nearly everyone else out in the "real world" who could care less about running a table saw, but loves great sound. Then buying a def tech, ML, "insert top shelf boner" is worth it. You have a common problem with your thinking. You get a kick out of DIY and plyaying with tools and proving your ability. The rest of the world doesn't give 2 shits about that aspect. Honestly thats the cold truth. If that wasn't the truth, then half these companies would be out of business.

To further correct you. Finsih is so much more than 5% of the deal. If you believe this then excuse me for saying you're still wet behind the ears and full of stupid. I don't care how good you make something sounds, it won't sell if it looks like a turd sitting in peoples living rooms. Finsih and performance is actually a much more even 50/50 compromise in the rest of the world outside your brain.

Your old attempts at home speakers prove my point. I don't care how good those things sounded, I would be embarassed to have them in any of my rooms here.

1loudsuv
04-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Probably the most ignorant thing I've ever heard on this forum.

well find me a car audio company that makes at least something that sounds decent without you doing any work to install it in your car(other then you connecting 2-4 wires)? diy is a must if you want good sound in a car (kickpods custom sub boxes) but not in home audio.

but like i said if you think you know more then i do well prove it. show me some of your stats for car audio and some for home audio. heres some of my car audio and some of my home stuff is in my sig.

http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorstats.asp?Competitor_ID=17254&Season=0

you where still wearing diapers when i was competing :laugh:

1loudsuv
04-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Regardless, nice purchase, but anyone who thinks that DIY is worthless for home has no idea as to what they're talking about. There is nothing greater than spending weeks to months on something and then firing it up, and being so pleased not just by the quality, but because you can say that you made it yourself. People who come with the argument that companies who have been around forever must know more don't understand the DIY crowd at all. It is very unlikely that any serious DIYer has far less knowledge than someone at sony throwing together a particle board HTIB.

we are not talking about sony... we are. talking higher end stuff here..

but yah your right some diy can do a better job then a company. im sure with my experience (built over 40 boxes for my truck) i can come out with something as good if not better then some companys,

but com'on your still wet behind the ears and ive seen DBB boxes they are not pretty. i bet i am not the first to tell you but you got allot to learn and a bunch of you kids think you know it all.

btw if companys **** then who makes your speakers? you do?

vpkb1998
04-01-2007, 09:45 PM
to me, although i've done some diy stuff, i'm no diy enthusiast by any means, just doing it out of neccessity

i've spent hundreds on tools and have yet to produce a somewhat satisfiable result

back to this supercube III, the sound quality is superb, i've even went back to the stores and audition some 10's and 12's within the same price range (klipsch, jbl, boston acoustic), they're no where near the quality of this one; most are just muddy

it may not have the SPL, but it definitely has the punch

joetama
04-02-2007, 12:46 AM
I am just going to throw this into the mix. This is what I have come to find true.

DIY in home audio is fine. But, I have never heard a DIY system that sounds as good as a B&W system (enter THY to show me that i'm wrong).

Some people have the 'gift' of speaker building. But most don't. So, most of us who want a GREAT sound and don't have the time or money to experiment go out and buy something that fits our ears and our budgets. I have argued with many people, good old NG for one, about the benefits of using a sub system from a company or a home build one. I think the professional ones are better, for various reasons. But, that is AUDIO. We all can have our different opinions to what sounds good. There is not magic speaker, box, or type of system. I am very happy with my MartinLogan Dynamo, and I think he will be very happy with that subwoofer. More so than if he was to DIY something. :fyi:

JimJ
04-02-2007, 12:55 AM
Did you build your own amps Jim?

Yup. Found the plans in a back issue of Vaccum Tube Valley, an online mag for fellow tube dweebs :D I don't know of any commercial version using the SV811 tube, maybe in Japan but definitely not in the States. To go pre-built and still get 8 watts out I would have been looking at 300B triodes, easily in the $3k range for a pair of monoblocks.

Preamp wasn't homebuilt, just because it's a royal PITA to homebrew a quiet phono stage, and I found a really good local deal on it :fro:

Audio Junkies
04-02-2007, 01:02 AM
Yup. Found the plans in a back issue of Vaccum Tube Valley, an online mag for fellow tube dweebs :D I don't know of any commercial version using the SV811 tube, maybe in Japan but definitely not in the States. To go pre-built and still get 8 watts out I would have been looking at 300B triodes, easily in the $3k range for a pair of monoblocks.

Preamp wasn't homebuilt, just because it's a royal PITA to homebrew a quiet phono stage, and I found a really good local deal on it :fro:

****, cool stuff! I'm digging through all the threads over at diy audio trying to find some good plans for a powerful 2-channel amp (200+ watts per channel). It will be a big project, but I've got the itch to build one.

If you know anywhere else that is a good resource for diy amps, please let me know.