PDA

View Full Version : Running comps off HU temporarily?

96Firebird
03-30-2007, 09:41 PM
I'll probably be getting some component speakers soon, since only the tweeters work on my current coaxials. But will running them off the head unit for about a month hurt them in any way? I'm thinking about getting the CDT CL61A (http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4418)s, since they seem to be some good budget comps. Should I just wait until I can afford both the comps and the amp before purchasing and installing? I just hate the way it sounds now, I can barely hear the mids/highs right now...

Max_Power
03-31-2007, 01:03 AM
As long as you don't run them into clipping with the HU power you won't hurt them, they just might not sound as good. An amp down the road will bring them to their full potential. I would hold off though, seeing as how you will have to install them, and reinstall them (I assumed you were going to use the stock speaker wire for the HU) when you put the amp in.

186k and still going??? Nice job and congrats on the milestone. I think GM's purple is a cool color, especially on that Firebird.

bdawson72
03-31-2007, 01:04 AM
you are fine as long as you dont go crazy on them

96Firebird
03-31-2007, 04:37 PM
I was thinking about the installing twice, I just don't know if I want to tackle installing another amp right now. I need to take off both door panels anyways, since I need a new passenger side window motor (**** heavy windows) and I need to get my driver's side window back on track. I'm pretty much a pro at getting the panels on and off. I think I might wait until I can afford both though... Is it ok to run the power wires for 2 amps on the same side, and the RCAs for 2 amps on the otherside? Or do I need to run something down the middle of my car? I had to turn the gain down on my sub amp, with the bass boost all the way off and my head unit settings set to -6 for lows (+3 for mids, +6 for highs). And it doesn't help that my factory 6.5" rear speakers only play lows (good job GM).

As for the mileage, yeah just got the car back on the road yesterday after a long winter. It has its problems right now, but I'll be giving it a nice tune-up soon. New plugs/wires, replacing valve cover gaskets (leaks oil), oil change, new filters, and some fuzzy dice. And the ladies love the purple :).

Max_Power
04-01-2007, 02:17 AM
I think as long as you keep the power wires and signal wires atleast 18" away from each other you shouldn't run into any problems. You should only need one run of power wire, and then use a distribution block (it will be easier adn cleaner in the long run). Be sure to ground the amps well.

oh and...... Fuzzy Dice FTW!!!