PDA

View Full Version : density?

MikeNeufeld
03-30-2007, 11:18 AM
i what size does plexi become as dense and rigid as mdf.. will 1/4" mdf for the top of a sub box suffice that house 2 15's

MikeNeufeld
03-30-2007, 11:22 AM
man i just really tooled on that thread it shud say 1/4 " plexi and to start it shud say in....

mlstrass
03-30-2007, 12:44 PM
I hope you're kidding on the 1/4" plexi, you can snap that with your bare hands if the piece is big at all.

I'm "guessing" it takes at least 1" or more to do the top of a box for 2 15's. I'm sure a little searching would give you a definite answer.

PV Audio
03-30-2007, 12:59 PM
:uhoh: 1/4" plexi wouldn't be strong enough for 1 8" sub. One inch should be okay, but I must ask, why are you using plexi instead?

helotaxi
03-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Plexi at any thinckness is more dense than MDF, but that had no relevance to the suitability of its use in a sub enclosure. Rigidity has everything to do with it. Much like with MDF, you can get away with thinner if you brace it really well. This will of course limit the size of the plexi window and kind of defeat the purpowe of doing it in the first place. Depending on the max unsupported dimension, you might be able to get away with 3/4" but thicker is always going to be better... and more expensive... and heavier...